Pegula - better be lucky than have his Plan A?

GG

Good point. But it will be interesting to see whether Marrone's "opt out clause" mitigates the Bills' tampering argument. What good is an "opt out clause" if the coach can't pursue opportunities? Unless the clause included specific procedural requirements that required another team to contact the Bills before talking to Marrone.

With or without an opt out clause another team can't make overtures to a team's HC unless there was a notification and permission was granted. After the opt out the HC and other interested parties can do whatever they want. But prior to the official opt out an outside party can't contact the HC unless given permission.

Was there an under the table communication between the HC's agent and the Jets and other interested parties? That wouldn't be surprising. I''m sure Marrone knew through his agent that if he opted out he would have other job opportunities. The legality and ethics of this surreptitious communication are certainly questionable but they are prevalent in the business.

My feeling is why waste time and effort to pursue a tampering case that is difficult to prove. If Marrone wasn't fully committed to the organization then it was best that he departed. Overall, Marrone did a good job. But as far as I am concerned he was't as indespensible as he thought he was. The Bills need to focus on building a quality organization with everyone moving in the same direction. That wasn't going to happen with a HC who wasn't in accord with what the front office was doing.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am soooooo hoping that all communication between Marrone & Sexton was over Bills' email accounts or on texts on a phone provided by Buffalo Bills inc.

That would be great if this is the case.

As an aside, I read the following SI article yesterday while doing some reasearch regarding Sexton. Interesting guy. In any event, one of the themes of the article (perhaps puff piece) is how he tries to maintain a good relationship with "management." It will be interesting to see whether and how this episode effects his relationship with the Bills.

As an aside, I think that Sexton also represents Schwartz.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/01/03/jimmy-sexton-college-football