Buffalo versus NY media

Vetriano

I've lived in NYC most of my life, a devout Bills fan since the late 80s. I look at two bills drive way too much, and find it interesting when people comment that certain players or coaches couldn't handle the "big city" media. I think there are much more distractions in the big markets, ie Yankees, mets, basketball, another football team( giants)', tennis, marathons or millions of people who could care less about the athletics surrounding them. My point is I think Buffalo, and smaller markets are much more intense, the local population seems much more invested emotionally in the product and the media is most likely consumed by a higher percentage of passionate fans. My question, which media is tougher buffalo or NY? I vote buffalo.

I've lived in NYC most of my life, a devout Bills fan since the late 80s. I look at two bills drive way too much, and find it interesting when people comment that certain players or coaches couldn't handle the "big city" media. I think there are much more distractions in the big markets, ie Yankees, mets, basketball, another football team( giants)', tennis, marathons or millions of people who could care less about the athletics surrounding them. My point is I think Buffalo, and smaller markets are much more intense, the local population seems much more invested emotionally in the product and the media is most likely consumed by a higher percentage of passionate fans. My question, which media is tougher buffalo or NY? I vote buffalo.

The NYC media is tougher, there is more of it and when you are in NY you become fodder for the national media as well. Don't be fooled by the passion on TSW it's not like that everywhere in Bills country. I tailgate with 20-30 long-time and passionate season ticket holding Bills fans with a wide age range and they don't listen to WGR and none of them visit websites to read up on the Bills. Some of them get texts. There is a phenomenon of people moving away from Buffalo and becoming far more interested in the Bills. The percentage of out of town folks here is high. Not sure why it is but as they can tell you, the locals take it for granted. I wish I could say it's more rabid but Bills games have become more of an event to attend than a contest.

which media is tougher buffalo or NY? I vote buffalo.

I'd say Buffalo because of the limited number of legitimate media outlets. The Buffalo Snooze and.....the Buffalo Snooze. The BN gets to drive the conversation and buzzing flys like 'GR are just an afterthought.

NYC's vastly larger media market has so many "voices" that it tends to drown out the "conversation" to the point it becomes background noise.

I would also say Buffalo. It seems like a lot of pressure. As annoying as it is to read the whiny drivel from Sullivan as a fan, I imagine it's much more irritating when it's you that he's talking about.

Ever go to a really small town and see their local paper has almost Onion-like headlines like "Jerry is banned from Big Lots" or "Marty got married"? When there's nothing else to really talk about, you have to talk about something. So the Bills get a lot of scrutiny. And there's that in NYC, but there's also other news stories besides the NFL.

Plus, they have more teams to complain about. We have the Bills and sometimes the Hockey Bills.

No one in Buffalo media breaks any news regarding the Bills.

The Bills beat reporters have no sources and know when the fans do.

The Buffalo media is not respected by the Bills. Local reporters are an afterthought.

The Daily News story, Adam Schefter ... Etc. The stories don't come from Buffalo media.

Hopefully you have all noticed that TWS links a lot of Syracuse Post-Standard news articles about the Buffalo Bills. If you want to know anything about the Buffalo Bills, then follow the Syracuse media. If you want to know anything about the Buffalo Bills, talk to a Bills fan from Syracuse.

The NYC media is tougher, there is more of it and when you are in NY you become fodder for the national media as well. Don't be fooled by the passion on TSW it's not like that everywhere in Bills country. I tailgate with 20-30 long-time and passionate season ticket holding Bills fans with a wide age range and they don't listen to WGR and none of them visit websites to read up on the Bills. Some of them get texts. There is a phenomenon of people moving away from Buffalo and becoming far more interested in the Bills. The percentage of out of town folks here is high. Not sure why it is but as they can tell you, the locals take it for granted. I wish I could say it's more rabid but Bills games have become more of an event to attend than a contest.

I found that. Hell, I found a LARGE portion of NE fans at our game when I came this fall.

By the same token, I had a fun and relatively undisturbed time at MetLife stadium this year, :D . So it kind of depends on how a fan base is feeling at any particular time. Bills fans want the playoffs so badly, but the wider community hasn't all jumped back on the bandwagon in the way they will once it happens.

By way of comparison, the Cleveland area media are also perceived as "difficult" by the team.

And we've seen how the coaches even on winning teams have a hard time dealing with the media in their home towns, ie: Bellicheck and the Boston media.

I think the most effective coaches learn to tune it out. If the story about Marrone reacting to the media is true, then he's in for a rough time in NY if he takes the Jets job.

By way of comparison, the Cleveland area media are also perceived as "difficult" by the team.

And we've seen how the coaches even on winning teams have a hard time dealing with the media in their home towns, ie: Bellicheck and the Boston media.

I think the most effective coaches learn to tune it out. If the story about Marrone reacting to the media is true, then he's in for a rough time in NY if he takes the Jets job.

Ha -the Cleveland media is not even close to difficult IMO. They are pretty fair. And the Columbus media is soft as a marshmallow. One guy in Cbus got fired for criticizing Jim Tressel back in 2011 when he was in trouble (Hooley) because the station was a partner of OSU.

I kind of agree as far as being a big fish in a small pond and therefore getting more local attention. However, if you get ripped in a Buffalo newspaper, odds are only the people in Buffalo notice. If you get ripped in a NY newspaper, you make national headlines and end up on ESPN. There may be more distractions, but once you are bad enough to rise to the top, ala the Sanchez era Jets, it becomes a major national story. Not the case with Buffalo area coverage in my opinion.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

I kind of agree as far as being a big fish in a small pond and therefore getting more local attention. However, if you get ripped in a Buffalo newspaper, odds are only the people in Buffalo notice. If you get ripped in a NY newspaper, you make national headlines and end up on ESPN. There may be more distractions, but once you are bad enough to rise to the top, ala the Sanchez era Jets, it becomes a major national story. Not the case with Buffalo area coverage in my opinion.

This

I would also say Buffalo. It seems like a lot of pressure. As annoying as it is to read the whiny drivel from Sullivan as a fan, I imagine it's much more irritating when it's you that he's talking about.

Ever go to a really small town and see their local paper has almost Onion-like headlines like "Jerry is banned from Big Lots" or "Marty got married"? When there's nothing else to really talk about, you have to talk about something. So the Bills get a lot of scrutiny. And there's that in NYC, but there's also other news stories besides the NFL.

Plus, they have more teams to complain about. We have the Bills and sometimes the Hockey Bills.

Dang it Jerry, what did you do now?