A Few Thoughts About The Bills, in no particular order......

Why is the clause in the contract "bad". If you are glad Marrone is gone, why condemn the clause?

I'm completely over Marrone, and anxious to see what another coach can do. It sounds like Marrone wasn't well liked by the players, and I am curious to see how players like Manuel, Watkins, Wood, and others, who he apparently resented, will respond to a different HC.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is so much running back talent coming out, I like yeldon he is bigger and runs harder than Fred Jackson, who I'd make a running back coach when he's done. The defense is fine. Bill, are you Hughes agent? 50,000,000/5 is really high for what the rest of the league might view as a 1-D pass rusher. With Justin Houston and to some degree Hardy getting all the pass rushing attention, I would offer him a 4 year 34 with 17 upfront...if he wants to shop, let him.

Searcy is a keeper no doubt about it. Wynn too. I love spikes the attitude he brought to this defense was great. Selfish fun football desire: after seeing him block on special teams (see cj spillers return) try him at fullback too. I'd give him a 4 year 14 million deal as a part time ILB and FB.

Get me a QB!

I think I might be the only on this board who is pro cutler, I've watch him play enough to know that he is a top 10 QB talent. In the right offense (Shanahan, kubiak) with a good running back (yeldon) and a guard or two in free agency (broiling) the offense will be good maybe great, I was looking over kubiak career...he's made offenses work with undrafted free agents in Foster, career back ups (Forsett)and late picks like Davis...3 different places. He might be the logical choice.

With regards to the Brandon comments about the contract. These clauses aren't that uncommon, he was working for RW at the time, the goal was to get Marrone signed, since this would never cost RW a dime, why not. And Brandon at the time was representing RW's best interests, so have no problem with the opt out clause.

I assume when you say Rex Ryan's QB sucked, you're referring to Sanchez?? The Jets still had a much better overall offense than Buffalo. Rex also hads a history of having trouble developing QB's so don't think he's a good choice here.

3) This will piss people off, but Fred Jackson, however loveable, is probably done. It hurts to say this but it's true. TJ Yeldon is a young Fred Jackson. They even look alike in terms of size, moves, and ability to catch and block. And he is 2 steps faster. I HATE wasting picks on running backs, but I have seen every game Yeldon has played. He would be a HUGE asset to the Buffalo Bills Football Team.

Yeldon? I'm down. Ditch Spiller.

see below.

I like Decker, but not sure if the size is there to fill in at OT. LT? I guess, we could move Glenn to OG. He's only a junior and may return, wouldn't surprise me. But, he is a top 5 OT, he could be perfect for a 2nd round pick up.

Jeff Heuerman - see below. We need this guy, if he could make it until the 4th round he would be a huge steal. This guy is Myers The Ohio state version of Aaron Hernandez. He has sharpened up his game as a blocker and is an improvement from Lee Smith.

We can't get Cooper but Smith might be worth a nod, shifty little dude who may not be big enough.

Yeldon in the third would be good for the future. He may be one of the only RB's I would consider drafting, regardless of who/what/when. Gurley and Gordon will go first, I wouldn't draft either of them.

Imagining a chance we could land 3 guys from this game and I'd be quite happy.

2. Decker

3. Yeldon

4. Heuerman

5. would be a QB if its up to me...

I know of someone who scouts for the Bills. Not saying where or what his involvement depth is but he does not live in Buffalo. He goes to a ton of college games, some times 3 a weekend. He gets to know colleges and even high schools. There are several games he has attended - he just can only do so much. All the scouts and coaches for NFL teams get footage from college coaches, as well.

Some of my comments will be repetitive in terms of my opinions over the years. If this bothers anyone, do feel free to ignore. In any event.....

1) Did you see the difference today between Luck and Dalton? It was clearly monumental. That said, Dalton is WAY better than Orton. Imo not even in the same league. This says a lot in terms of the Bills. Orton and EJ suck. Period. Yet, the team went 9-7.

2) Brandon needs to be fired. He is to be held responsible for hiring a sub-par coach to a contract which will cost the Pegulas 4 million or so. I saw a stat today.....The Bills were LAST in terms of scoring points inside the 2 minute warning before the half. I talked about this with BADOLBEELZ during the season. There is no excuse for this. Marrone is nothing but a Brandon crony. He is mediocre at best and I am glad to see him gone. "Obviously."

3) This will piss people off, but Fred Jackson, however loveable, is probably done. It hurts to say this but it's true. TJ Yeldon is a young Fred Jackson. They even look alike in terms of size, moves, and ability to catch and block. And he is 2 steps faster. I HATE wasting picks on running backs, but I have seen every game Yeldon has played. He would be a HUGE asset to the Buffalo Bills Football Team.

4) Whaley, imo, gets his ass kissed on this board. I am not a Whaley hater, but I am not as in love with the guy as are many here. It truly pisses me off that we don't have a first round pick this year. I think the trade to take Watkins was ill advised. That said, Watkins is great imo, so I am unsure about how to judge Mr. Whaley. Bottom line is that we have a potentially great wide receiver with no QB. I think that this makes little sense but it CAN work I suppose.

5) John C, take note. Gilmore, at the end of the season, looked good. I am NOT, nor ever will be about top ten picks being used on corners, but imo Gilmore came a long way.

6) The Bills need to offer Hughes 50 million for 5 years and see what he says. He isn't a great player, but he is talented and imo smart. And of course he provides pass rush.

7) Keep Searcy!!!!!

8) John C, take note again.....CJ Spiller sucks. Against the Raiders, he missed two blocks on one play. He is virtually worthless. It's time to cut the chord my friend. He is an nexpensive bag of S%&t.

9) Rex Ryan went to the playoffs with a qb who sucks. On the worst day of his nlife he was a better coach than Marrone. I would be more than OK with Rex.

10 We desperately need guards. If Levitre really does get cut and is healthy, we should absolutely sign him. He was our best guard since Ruben Brown and I suspect that he has been playing hurt. We also need to draft one, perhaps 2.

11) If all you got to live for,

is what you left behind,

get yourself a powder charge

and seal that silver mine.

I lost my boots in transit babe,

A pile of smoking leather.

Nailed a retread to my feet

and prayed for better weather.

12) QB? I would take Cutler (at the right cost) and/or Mallett, AND a draft pick.

13) God bless you all, and GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regarding #4... the Sammy trade:

I have said it a million times.......you have to have an organizational directive and your drafts should be a process moving you toward the goal of sustained excellence and SB victories.

NOT just an annual event held to fill holes on your roster.

What's the most important thing to have on your football team to achieve sustained excellence and eventual SB championships?

A franchise QUARTERBACK.

Anything and everything else is a distant second.

If you don't have one, the surest way to get one is draft the best one you can get with your FIRST PICK EVERY YEAR.

With Leodis aging and better CB's on the roster.... and Spiller possibly on his way out...it is altogether possible that on opening day next year all the Bills will have to show for 15 years of non-playoff caliber, high first round picks will be Dareus, Gilmore and Watkins.

Three excellent talents. But just 3 special players standing for 15 years of losing.......and 2 of them are slated to be pending free agents.

As shiny as they look on draft day, star players at every other position come and go and often make little impact on your franchise.

Not having a top QB simply devalues everything else you have. You can't win consistently without that guy. You can't even judge your own talent fairly if you don't have one.

And the numbers bear out that if you simply take the best available QB you are going to hit on one a lot sooner than 10-15 years.

I absolutely love Watkins. IMO he was the top football player available in this past draft.

I also think first round draft picks are the most overrated method of acquiring talent. If you can't draft very well from rounds 2-7 you are going to struggle to build a team either way.

If you have a proven and ascending or franchise QB....I very much think trading a future #1 to get a shot at a special talent like Watkins is worth it. Look what we have to show for so many picks? Again, the numbers bear this out.

But what if the Bills had just stayed put and taken Bridgewater? Or Carr? Would we feel our franchise is in better position going into the future?

I'd say yes.

And this scenario keeps repeating itself.

Yes Manuel may be a bust. You may draft 2 busts and 2 maybes in a 5 year span but I think you find at least one very good one.

And then you keep the competition coming until you get a franchise QB and then you have 12-14 years of sustained competitive football ahead of you.

The challenge ahead of you as a personnel department then is to get talent from rounds 2-7 and in FA.

That's basically what the Bills have done for most of the past 15 years anyway! :lol:

If we go into the 2016 draft with only Dareus and Watkins to show for first round picks over a 16 year period I am not sure how anyone could dispute my rationale.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

We need a good offensive line and when they blitz we have a dump off to Spiller for 15 yards. Judging a running back based on the 3rd most important skill of a running back (out of 3) is ridiculous, I don't accept a crappy O-line and neither should anyone else. Thanks Marrone for your hard work with these terrible guards you started most of the year.

Regarding #4... the Sammy trade:

I have said it a million times.......you have to have an organizational directive and your drafts should be a process moving you toward the goal of sustained excellence and SB victories.

NOT just an annual event held to fill holes on your roster.

What's the most important thing to have on your football team to achieve sustained excellence and eventual SB championships?

A franchise QUARTERBACK.

Anything and everything else is a distant second.

If you don't have one, the surest way to get one is draft the best one you can get with your FIRST PICK EVERY YEAR.

With Leodis aging and better CB's on the roster.... and Spiller possibly on his way out...it is altogether possible that on opening day next year all the Bills will have to show for 15 years of non-playoff caliber, high first round picks will be Dareus, Gilmore and Watkins.

Three excellent talents. But just 3 special players standing for 15 years of losing.......and 2 of them are slated to be pending free agents.

As shiny as they look on draft day, star players at every other position come and go and often make little impact on your franchise.

Not having a top QB simply devalues everything else you have. You can't win consistently without that guy. You can't even judge your own talent fairly if you don't have one.

And the numbers bear out that if you simply take the best available QB you are going to hit on one a lot sooner than 10-15 years.

I absolutely love Watkins. IMO he was the top football player available in this past draft.

I also think first round draft picks are the most overrated method of acquiring talent. If you can't draft very well from rounds 2-7 you are going to struggle to build a team either way.

If you have a proven and ascending or franchise QB....I very much think trading a future #1 to get a shot at a special talent like Watkins is worth it. Look what we have to show for so many picks? Again, the numbers bear this out.

But what if the Bills had just stayed put and taken Bridgewater? Or Carr? Would we feel our franchise is in better position going into the future?

I'd say yes.

And this scenario keeps repeating itself.

Yes Manuel may be a bust. You may draft 2 busts and 2 maybes in a 5 year span but I think you find at least one very good one.

And then you keep the competition coming until you get a franchise QB and then you have 12-14 years of sustained competitive football ahead of you.

The challenge ahead of you as a personnel department then is to get talent from rounds 2-7 and in FA.

That's basically what the Bills have done for most of the past 15 years anyway! :lol:

If we go into the 2016 draft with only Dareus and Watkins to show for first round picks over a 16 year period I am not sure how anyone could dispute my rationale.

2014 - you wanted Manziel

2013 - Bills took qb

2012 - Weeden, Osweiler, Wilson were available when Bills took Gilmore

2011 - Locker, Gabbert, Ponder were there when Bills took Dareus

2010 - Tebow, Claussen, McCoy were there when Bills took Spiller

2009 - Freeman, Pat White, Stephen McGee

2008 - Flacco, Brohm, Henne

Edited by bg17

#1: Agree that Dalton is not a great QB, but what today's game showed is the value of a true, stud, franchise WR, especially on a team with a limited QB like Dalton. Without Green, the Bengals' offense just looked pathetic; it had no weapons to keep the Colts honest. If Sammy can become that type of receiver for the Bills, then the trade is probably worthwhile.

-why was Levitre cut? Have you watched his play? And who says he wants to come back here.

-on to EJ manuel- he hasnt played good football. That being said the kid has a very small sample size of play with a lousy coordinator and a terrible offensive line. I am not ready to write him off yet.

-Totally agree with you on Spiller. He is awful in pass protection, doesnt break tackles, lacks vision, and bounces outside too quickly. That being said he doesnt deserve to be called a bag of poo. He has never caused problems and has worked hard, hes just a skat back and needs to be utilized accordingly.

-fred stays for one more year, this team needs leadership and a third down back. He will fill that role nicely.

Running backs can be had in free agency. Time to draft a few guards and a QB rd 4-5. And find the best available FA QB.

-TE needs to be addressed in the worst way possible. Please get rid of Lee Smith damn he's awful

A good HC and OC, keep Schwartz and we will be OK.

Edited by billsfan_34

2013 - Bills took qb

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. If they'd simply followed the process they'd have drafted Brees, Rodgers and Flacco as well.

No guts no Kaepernick(2011) or Wilson(2012) either. Hell the Bills got multiple shots at those guys but were busily patching lineup holes on paper as if ANY of those positions mattered without a franchise QB.

But let's be clear, I support them taking the top QB on THEIR board EVERY year. Even though I don't know who that guy would be.

Dareus is excellent but DT's are much easier to find and replace. The Bills have had some REALLY good ones since their last playoff appearance. Ted Washington, Pat Williams, Sam Adams, Kyle Williams. As much as I value all of those players, their franchise impact is undeniably negligible.

Would anyone be suprised if they let Gilmore go rather than pay him $15M/yr and that his replacement will be somebody already on the roster who wasn't drafted in the first 3 rounds?

Perhaps you miss the point. The Bills operate from paycheck to paycheck. They'd be better served taking a big picture view on draft days.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. If they'd simply followed the process they'd have drafted Brees, Rodgers and Flacco as well.

No guts no Kaepernick(2011) or Wilson(2012) either. Hell the Bills got multiple shots at those guys but were busily patching lineup holes on paper as if ANY of those positions mattered without a franchise QB.

But let's be clear, I support them taking the top QB on THEIR board EVERY year. Even though I don't know who that guy would be.

Dareus is excellent but DT's are much easier to find and replace. The Bills have had some REALLY good ones since their last playoff appearance. Ted Washington, Pat Williams, Sam Adams, Kyle Williams. As much as I value all of those players, their franchise impact is undeniably negligible.

Would anyone be suprised if they let Gilmore go rather than pay him $15M/yr and that his replacement will be somebody already on the roster who wasn't drafted in the first 3 rounds?

Perhaps you miss the point. The Bills operate from paycheck to paycheck. They'd be better served taking a big picture view on draft days.

Not defending the Bills. Their record speaks for itself. That record would probably be worse following your method.

Welcome back Bill, and good to read " a few thoughts" thread again from Bill From NYC.

#1 & #10 I think any Bills QB play will drastically improve depending on how they drastically improve the OG situation. Not to mention a better OC, HC and better offensive schemes, game plans that can actually take advantage of the players strengths.

#2 I don't care what they do with Brandon as long as he is as far away from the football operation side after everything is settled. I don't want to see the HC, GM reporting to the marketing / finance guy ever again.

#3 I love me some Fredex, and if the new regime can use him as a 3rd down back out of the backfield catching passes, and blocking. He is still considerably better then so many RB's in blocking.

#4 Doug Whaley's job should be in great jeopardy IMO, trading away next years #1 & #4 for a WR when they don't have a franchise QB. Not to mention they could have stood pat at #9, and drafted Odell Beckham Jr who missed four entire games with an injury, and still almost broke Randy Moss's rookie record for yards, 1313 yards vs 1305 yards for Beckham. Then Whaley threw 6 players at that O line the last two years, and only one has been somewhat effective, and even then he was barely adequate. For all the great acquisitions the man has done for the defensive side he has done a very, very poor job for the offensive side.

Trading away Stevie Johnson because he didn't work well with EJ only to bench EJ after four games. When Kyle Orton could have possibly used Stevie in the red zone...considering the Bills were last to 31st in scoring red zone TD's. Trading for WR Mike Williams only to see him not being used, and now gone from the team. Then trading for Bryce Brown who was another player not utilized.

I really question the current scouting departments ability to judge offensive talent, and gotta wonder does the team need to hire some offense scout specialists?

I think as we get closer to the draft more and more Bills fans will realize that trading two #1's for a WR when the team lacks a franchise QB was an horrendously stupid move, and would probably get that GM fired by other owners.

Lastly, I sure hope these new owners will hire a new team president of football operations that has a solid past history of success. Someone like the Packers GM Ted Thompson comes to mind as he has added some great talent to that Green Bay team. I hope they keep Whaley, its just he clearly needs some better guidance with the offensive side of the ball. A quality team president, a quality head coach, a quality offensive coordinator, some quality additions to that O line, and the 2015 Buffalo Bills could easily be contending for the division, and the super bowl. :D

Again, good to see you back Bill.

1. Hard to see too many definitive things without knowing who coach and staff will be, but .....

2. Definitely need guards. Via FA and draft

3. Give EJ a chance

4. Fred isn't done. He never had speed, his game is the same as ever. None of the backs did much this year behind that line.

5. For the right price keep Spiller. He's explosive and commands the defense attention. By comparison there was a big drop off when Brown tried to fill his shoes (and he's not bad).

6. Have doubts Watkins is a true #1. He's simply not in the league of Bryant, jones, brown, green, or fellow rookie beckham. Looking like we overpaid for him, could sure use that 1st round pick back.

7. With that said, next year has a chance to be better than last, it's all about the coach at this point.

Some of my comments will be repetitive in terms of my opinions over the years. If this bothers anyone, do feel free to ignore. In any event.....

1) Did you see the difference today between Luck and Dalton? It was clearly monumental. That said, Dalton is WAY better than Orton. Imo not even in the same league. This says a lot in terms of the Bills. Orton and EJ suck. Period. Yet, the team went 9-7.

2) Brandon needs to be fired. He is to be held responsible for hiring a sub-par coach to a contract which will cost the Pegulas 4 million or so. I saw a stat today.....The Bills were LAST in terms of scoring points inside the 2 minute warning before the half. I talked about this with BADOLBEELZ during the season. There is no excuse for this. Marrone is nothing but a Brandon crony. He is mediocre at best and I am glad to see him gone. "Obviously."

4) Whaley, imo, gets his ass kissed on this board. I am not a Whaley hater, but I am not as in love with the guy as are many here. It truly pisses me off that we don't have a first round pick this year. I think the trade to take Watkins was ill advised. That said, Watkins is great imo, so I am unsure about how to judge Mr. Whaley. Bottom line is that we have a potentially great wide receiver with no QB. I think that this makes little sense but it CAN work I suppose.

5) John C, take note. Gilmore, at the end of the season, looked good. I am NOT, nor ever will be about top ten picks being used on corners, but imo Gilmore came a long way.

6) The Bills need to offer Hughes 50 million for 5 years and see what he says. He isn't a great player, but he is talented and imo smart. And of course he provides pass rush.

7) Keep Searcy!!!!!

8) John C, take note again.....CJ Spiller sucks. Against the Raiders, he missed two blocks on one play. He is virtually worthless. It's time to cut the chord my friend. He is an nexpensive bag of S%&t.

9) Rex Ryan went to the playoffs with a qb who sucks. On the worst day of his nlife he was a better coach than Marrone. I would be more than OK with Rex.

10 We desperately need guards. If Levitre really does get cut and is healthy, we should absolutely sign him. He was our best guard since Ruben Brown and I suspect that he has been playing hurt. We also need to draft one, perhaps 2.

11) If all you got to live for,

is what you left behind,

get yourself a powder charge

and seal that silver mine.

I lost my boots in transit babe,

A pile of smoking leather.

Nailed a retread to my feet

and prayed for better weather.

12) QB? I would take Cutler (at the right cost) and/or Mallett, AND a draft pick.

13) God bless you all, and GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post! I've always enjoyed reading your insights, Bill.

1. Next year is it for EJ. Let him chuck the ball around, put no restrictions on playcalling, and figure out what you have in him. We've been treading water with him for two years, partly due to injuries and partly due to Marrone's stubborn attitude. We need to bring somebody in who will pump EJ up with positive vibes and happily let him go out there and THROW THE BALL. Granted, this doesn't need to be in-game; if during camp and practice he isn't good enough, we need to be done with him.

2. Brandon does need to move on. I appreciate what he did with marketing and handling the transition from RWS to TMP but I don't believe for an instant that any other competent business-person would have done differently. I was raised to value family and respecting the old guard but, in my opinion, Russ has the stink of too many losing seasons on him. Due diligence in the hiring of his replacement will get us somebody just as qualified. Russ should move on to the league office which is where it looks like his career is headed.

3. I love Fred and I want him to retire here, but yes, he's carried the rushing load for too long and it's showing. God, I love the guy though. He has the heart of a warrior and he is EXACTLY the type of Bill that we need. I agree about Yeldon but I think as of right now we need to be in the late 30s-to-early 40s to get him.

4. I'm not a Whaley ass-kisser but I think he earned his spot here and I think he needs more time. It's been too short, and obviously things were hampered with Brandon in the building and a confrontational relationship with Marrone. Something that not a lot of people bring up anymore - although there was talk about it after the draft - is that maybe Whaley jumped for Sammy because Sammy wanted to be here or, equally as important, the other WRs didn't want to be here. I understand the desire to have a cornerstone, #1 WR and Sammy is definitely that. Yeah, we don't have a QB but QBs haven't been falling into our lap, either.

5. Agreed about Gilmore.

6. I would like to keep Hughes. I think it's important because Kyle W. isn't long for this team. I said at the end of last season that we needed a 12 month plan to find a replacement for him. If Stefan Charles is it - and he might be - we still need to find someone else for reliable depth. Either way, we can't sleep on our d-line.

7. Agreed about Searcy.

8. I love the big-play threat that CJ provides but we need a back who can block. Get me a guy who's not as flashy but rather an all-around talent and I'll be so, so much happier than I am with CJ.

9. My biggest desire is to find a guy who's willing to work under Whaley since he's already here and established, and who is okay with having strong coordinators - not yes men - under him. We have a unique opportunity to get a younger guy who can grow and really build a great foundation here, but at the same time we need to consider established coaches because we have talent on the roster today. It's not an easy situation, and it's part of the reason why I was okay with Marrone staying (but cutting ties with Hackett) until Marrone up and punted.

10. We do need Guards. Part of what bothers me is I think we're still two good offseasons away from having an offense that isn't a detriment to the team.

11. I'm not a GD fan, sorry! :)

12. I am not interested in Cutler at all. Every year people gush over his talent but he never does anything with it... And, I don't think that Mallet's one game against Cleveland is enough for anyone here to get too excited about him. The fact of the matter is, and I hate to say it because it's disappointing, I don't see a reasonable option at QB available to us. There are no potential free agents who I think could step in and get us deep into the playoffs, and there are no sure-thing QBs in the draft outside of Mariota who's almost assuredly going to Tampa.

13. Amen!

Edited by pafan

You know I agree with you, but they couldn't have drafted rodgers because they spent their 2005 first round pick in 2004 to take a qb (losman).

2013 - Bills took qb

2009 - Freeman, Pat White, Stephen McGee

2008 - Flacco, Brohm, Henne

This non-pick has cost us so very dearly.

Not defending the Bills. Their record speaks for itself. That record would probably be worse following your method.

And yet, there is no real support for that conclusion.

Fans just love their shiny #1 picks. Until they are gone. Which is usually 4-6 years later.

Brees, Flacco, Rodgers....even Jay Cutler who the Bills passed on when they selected Lil' Donte......those guys will likely average 13 or 14 years as NFL starters and probably win 4-6 Super Bowls.

I have been a big follower of college football and draft follower for decades but the truth is too often the decision makers are operating on a 3 year plan...their shelf life if they don't win.... and they get support because fans get far too caught up in filling holes on paper.