How About Tyrod Taylor ?

moshermw

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to pirate your thread or anything, but I like your idea. People often mutter that QBs today don't get to sit behind starters for a few years to learn. Actually there are QBs out there who have done that but don't get a chance due to starter and then their contract runs out and they're a career backup.

Instead of drafting a raw rookie, maybe we should take one of these guys who great college careers and then sat behind a "franchise QB"? As I see it there are 3 such candidates this year:

Tyrod Taylor

Kellen Moore (Moore broke the record to become the FBS leader in career wins for a starting quarterback at 46. 140 TDs 26 Ints out of Boise State. Several highlights of him throwing TDs at the Ralph in preseason.)

Ryan Mallet

Bring one of these guys to camp and let 'em compete. They haven't played much or any in regular season, but would be ahead of some 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

So you're saying he's a pretty good hockey writer?

If you can't spell the name of the greatest Bills player ever, you should expect some sarcasm.

Welcome aboard.

Touche and agree. Thanks for the welcome - couldn't have possibly been the Captain Morgan doing the spelling at 1:38 AM...

I don't want to pirate your thread or anything, but I like your idea. People often mutter that QBs today don't get to sit behind starters for a few years to learn. Actually there are QBs out there who have done that but don't get a chance due to starter and then their contract runs out and they're a career backup.

Instead of drafting a raw rookie, maybe we should take one of these guys who great college careers and then sat behind a "franchise QB"? As I see it there are 3 such candidates this year:

Tyrod Taylor

Kellen Moore (Moore broke the record to become the FBS leader in career wins for a starting quarterback at 46. 140 TDs 26 Ints out of Boise State. Several highlights of him throwing TDs at the Ralph in preseason.)

Ryan Mallet

Bring one of these guys to camp and let 'em compete. They haven't played much or any in regular season, but would be ahead of some 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

completely agree. Each of those names are in the same boat - but all 3 are different types of QB. I went Tyrod cuz of VT roots and because it seemed Darrell Bevell was getting the most love for HC - at least on here - TT is his type of QB. Mallet is much more Brady-like, i.e. not a dual threat. Kellen Moore is probably the smartest of the three - not a rocket arm or runner - but cerebral. All 3 have potential and would be CHEAPER than a big pick or a big $ contract like Cutler. We need to conserve picks this year. OL, OL, OL.

Tyrod Taylor

Ryan Mallet

I dig this thought process. It's a low cost move that could net a nice reward, and there aren't a lot of other options at the moment.

So...better than Russell Wilson, and like Aaron Rodgers?

Wow!

Just sayin he beat RW twice in college (and EJ and Ponder once each as well). Sat behind a franchise QB like AR.

TT NFL Combine results, 2011:

40: 4.51, #1 that year ahead of Kaepernick and Cam Newton

Vertical: 37.5 in #1 that year ahead of Cam and CK.

3-cone drill: #1 that year tied with Jake Locker

Only point here is that TT is as elite a pure athlete as Cam and Kaepernick. And holds all relevant VT passing records. Just short (6'1, 217).

Just sayin he beat RW twice in college (and EJ and Ponder once each as well). Sat behind a franchise QB like AR.

TT NFL Combine results, 2011:

40: 4.51, #1 that year ahead of Kaepernick and Cam Newton

Vertical: 37.5 in #1 that year ahead of Cam and CK.

3-cone drill: #1 that year tied with Jake Locker

Only point here is that TT is as elite a pure athlete as Cam and Kaepernick. And holds all relevant VT passing records. Just short (6'1, 217).

Also wanted to add that Darrell Bevell also developed Tavaris Jackson in Minnesota - maybe not a great claim to fame but TJ was a much bigger project than TT or Wilson - he likes these dual threat QB's. TJ was a completrly unknown D2 QB and took the Vikes to the playoffs one year. He now is the solid Russell Wilson backup at Seattle. No, I'm not TT's agent.

Tyrod can play and should be in the consideration set. He is a much better athlete than most of the starting QBs in the league. Does he have a big enough arm to make all the throws might be the biggest question.

I like the idea of bringing in a couple of guys and letting them compete for the job and he's a guy who is worth a shot if the price is right.

(Like the OP, I saw him play for 4 years at VT)

• 1 month later...

Tyrod can play and should be in the consideration set. He is a much better athlete than most of the starting QBs in the league. Does he have a big enough arm to make all the throws might be the biggest question.

I like the idea of bringing in a couple of guys and letting them compete for the job and he's a guy who is worth a shot if the price is right.

(Like the OP, I saw him play for 4 years at VT)

I think so

So...better than Russell Wilson, and like Aaron Rodgers?

Wow!

Interesting because everyone I know that is better than Russell Wilson and like Aaron are starters already and have won championships.

I have seen Tyrod play in college and in the pro's. I think the Bills should be looking for a first string starter and not some that can fit Thad Lewis' old uniform.

Tyrod is not that good. He would easily unseat Tuel though. Athletic but not that accurate.

Edited by VADC Bills

Picture this:

1. Darrell Bevell - runs the Seahawks Offense with Russell Wilson

2. T. Taylor - as strong/accurate/ arm, faster and more elusive than RW - been in the league longer under a GOOD (read: Super Bowl) system - can't WAIT to start and learn under someone like DB.

3. CJ Spiller (Seahawks have NOTHING like him)

4. Sammy Watkins (see 3)

5. Marquise Goodwin (see 4)

6. Freddy Jackson/Bryce Brown/Boobie = 3 Marshawns

That D with Kiko back...

OL, OL, OL first 3 (2) rounds

Championship !- with zero trades or deals other than bringing Tyrod for 1/2 of Orton $.

EJ = quality backup or TT vice versa

With all due respect (and I swear I'm not trying to be a jerk about this) there is no one in the NFL that is more illusive than Russell Wilson...period...Wilson is all but Flutie-like in terms of escape-ability...And his feel for pressure from the pass rush is second to none...Comparing Taylor to Wilson all but kills almost any argument you have because it is so glaringly inaccurate...

Wilson made a HUGE...I mean massive leap as a passer in his Sr year at Wisconsin when he completed 72.8% of his passes and that carried him right into the big leagues...In 3 years as an NFL Starter Wilson has completed 63.4% of his passes...And he can throw almost any pass extremely well...Deep, medium, touch-pass, screen...

Taylor has never been a 60% passer, even in College...These things almost never improve in the NFL...

No thanks... B-)

Joined to post this after reading all the support for Darrell Bevell as HC/OC and looking at the QB FA landscape. pardon my VT bias but ...

Follow me through this:

- Tyrod is a free agent this year, backed up Flacco past 4 years with the Ravens - carried a clipboard behind him and under Cam Cameron/Gary Kubiack as OC's - not comparing but think Aaron Rodgers behind Joe

- Wants to be a starter - bad enough that we could get him 'cheap'

- Do NOT hesitate to compare him to Russel Wilson on many fronts, arm, smarts, speed, desire (and ability) to win

- Went 2-0 vs. Russell Wilson in the ACC (Also 1-0 ea. vs. EJ and Ponder OBTW)

- Holds most relevant VT passing records - dude can throw it - and ran 4.45 at the combine - only knock was his 6'1 stature - read: R. Wilson. As elusive as Wilson - maybe more so ..

- Pre- season is what it is but he's all but undefeated. Only chance he gets to play because Joe never gets hurt - and is the highly paid face of the Ravens franchise - unbenchable.

- All 4 seasons Baltimore brought in someone to un-seed him as backup - beat these quarterbacks out:

Dennis Dixon

Keith Wenning

Caleb Heinie

Curtis Painter

Not saying he's our next Jim Kelley or even Russell Wilson but the Bills need a 'gapper' till we can get a franchise guy in the draft like Teddy Bridegwater or Bortles.

One cannot underestimate his desire to start in the NFL. Most folks thought he should just be a punt returner/slot guy and move on. Refused cuz that wasn't his goal.

I say bring Tyrod in and let him compete with EJ ...again.

Outcome was all Tyrod at VT.

C'mon dude...

With all due respect (and I swear I'm not trying to be a jerk about this) there is no one in the NFL that is more illusive than Russell Wilson...period...Wilson is all but Flutie-like in terms of escape-ability...And his feel for pressure from the pass rush is second to none...Comparing Taylor to Wilson all but kills almost any argument you have because it is so glaringly inaccurate...

Wilson made a HUGE...I mean massive leap as a passer in his Sr year at Wisconsin when he completed 72.8% of his passes and that carried him right into the big leagues...In 3 years as an NFL Starter Wilson has completed 63.4% of his passes...And he can throw almost any pass extremely well...Deep, medium, touch-pass, screen...

Taylor has never been a 60% passer, even in College...These things almost never improve in the NFL...

No thanks... B-)

Thought this thread had long been buried. Happy it made a comeback.

I'll give you that TT has a lot to prove on throwing accuracy when compared to RW - a lot. But it's not glaringly inaccurate at all to say that TT is as elusive as RW. I've seen them both play - it appears you haven't seen TT play. See video linked below. Note that Justin Houston is an all pro LB.

The comparison is much less in trying to compare their accomplishments - that would be silly - but to say they are similar styles, drive, and stature. RW didn't go higher in the draft because of his height and neither did TT. TT went to the Ravens and couldn't surplant Flacco. That's all we know about him at this level. Only the Ravens know how good or bad he is. RW surplanted Matt Flynn. Got his shot and the rest is history.

I'm just saying to give TT at very low cost and risk compared to other options. He fits Roman's style. Just saying to give him a shot as a gapper until our draft pick situation allows us to get a Bridgewater, Luck, i.e. some sure thing.

Edited by moshermw

• 6 months later...

This thread is gold.

It's actually pretty typical around here. OP throws out a "what if" that isn't over the top and makes some interesting points/comparisons. The knee-jerk "you're an idiot" dismissals come next as posters pick one aspect of the post and make it seem as though the OP said something he didn't (i.e., that TT > RW). Thankfully there are also a few reasonable responses.

And at the end of the day, the Bills' FO did exactly what the OP suggested and now TT has his shot.

Well done, moshermw.