[Please Change Title]mike williams part 2

uticaclub

i watched s smith make game winning plays into his 14th year last night, i think williams has about 5 more years left based on his size and hands ability. F marrone, im sure he had alot to do with it, remember he benched woods all pre season too, he has to play someone i guess he disliked williams the most.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correction, outside of his rookie year he has NOT produced, hence Tampa willing to trade him for just a 6th rounder or so. If he was really worth a damn no way they part ways with him. Now I agree Marrone had something to do with this BS

Correct. And he missed most of his 3rd year due to a hammy. Most teams don't often dish out 40 million after a good rookie year. Tampa must of thought highly of him. He was traded because they got a new coach who doesn't like off field issues.

Pretty much my point. Even his down year in his sophomore year was 771 yards, which isn't half bad. After that, he had his injured season admittedly, but we saw he still had it with that 80 yard touchdown catch. Immediately after that, he got benched and was pretty much called in to block, which he did without protest.

I could get that Marrone and he had a thing, and if Marrone was still here I could see a permanent split. But now that this particular pissing contest is over, I'm still curious. With his position, maybe he's willing to take a contract that wasn't so crazy for a Stevie caliber player.

I would like to see him back if it was just a Marrone grudge that led to his "demise" - but I wonder because Whaley was the one who kind of publically threw shade by saying he would be looking for compensation for a #1Wr because that's what he was in his own mind (paraphrasing). Made it seem like Whaley really didn't care find his act too appealing either

But I am curious to hear the real story now that Marrone is gone.

Mike Williams didn't get a sniff since he left Buffalo....there has to be more to this story :cry:

I suspect that Marrone simply black-balled him around the league. How could a young, productive, healthy receiver just all of a sudden start sucking overnight? It's not even like he had any off field issues. That was his only knock...trouble maker. But he seems to have been good this year.

If there is a way you can cut Mike Williams and avoid paying him and having him on the cap you have to cut him. You can't take a chance on him at 5+ million a year. That money would be put to better use elsewhere. But if you are stuck with him at 5+ million and cutting him wouldn't cost you much I would say that it might be worth it to bring Mike Williams into camp. Maybe a new coaching system could revitalize Mike Williams.

If there is a way you can cut Mike Williams and avoid paying him and having him on the cap you have to cut him. You can't take a chance on him at 5+ million a year. That money would be put to better use elsewhere. But if you are stuck with him at 5+ million and cutting him wouldn't cost you much I would say that it might be worth it to bring Mike Williams into camp. Maybe a new coaching system could revitalize Mike Williams.

at this point he is making 0 dollars and can sign for anything. His contract is kaput. He passed through waivers so anyone can sign for whatever he will take.

Seems unlikely he'd come back but with new coaches, maybe. If Whaley wants him.

I suspect that Marrone simply black-balled him around the league. How could a young, productive, healthy receiver just all of a sudden start sucking overnight? It's not even like he had any off field issues. That was his only knock...trouble maker. But he seems to have been good this year.

He was not.

Mike Williams did also have a hamstring injury during the 2013 season. Could have lead to him not being what he once was. Still Marrone should have tried to develop him more. Plenty of targets could have gone his way while still leaving plenty for Woods and Sammy.

at this point he is making 0 dollars and can sign for anything. His contract is kaput. He passed through waivers so anyone can sign for whatever he will take.

Seems unlikely he'd come back but with new coaches, maybe. If Whaley wants him.

My bad I thought that he had cleared waivers but couldn't be cut until the new league year. I doubt Mike Williams wants anything to do with Buffalo even if there is new management.

It was the Red Sox. Coach Marrone is from the Bronx. I've been to The Bronx. They hate Red Sox there.

Seriously though, does anyone remember which game her pulled that stunt? Soon after he got benched despite playing well in the first 4 games.

The Houston game.

He wasn't really playing well though. I doubt he would've been benched as long if Hogan didn't produce as well as he did after replacing him.

Edited by FireChan

The Houston game.

He wasn't really playing well though. I doubt he would've been benched as long if Hogan didn't produce as well as he did after replacing him.

You keep saying this. I have all 9 wins this year still on TIVO and rewatched Bears and Fish. He had several catches in each game including a circus catch on the game winning drive vs Bears. In the Houston game had the 80 yarder. Yeah, yeah ,yeah blown coverage I get that. But he did catch it and score.

I fail to see what Hogan was able to do that Mike didn't.

It was the Sox I tell ya.

Edited by reddogblitz

Perhaps Marrone didn't like this trade either? Maybe it was another of the problems between him and Whaley. I can see this as a plausible answer to the riddle. Whaley trades for the guy that basically quit on Marrone in college. Marrone doesn't like the acquisition so he gives Whaley the big finger by deactivating Williams? It seems like one of dozens of possible reasons, but one I didn't see mentioned.

You keep saying this. I have all 9 wins this year still on TIVO and rewatched Bears and Fish. He had several catches in each game including a circus catch on the game winning drive vs Bears. In the Houston game had the 80 yarder. Yeah, yeah ,yeah blown coverage I get that. But he did catch it and score.

I fail to see what Hogan was able to do that Mike didn't.

It was the Sox I tell ya.

He had one catch for 3 yards against the Dolphins. 2 for 11 in SD. 2 for 36 (his best performance) against the Bears.

Hogster's first 3 games, he put up 2 for 27, 5 for 72 and a TD, and 5 for 63 (including a circus catch to set up the winning TD). That sealed MW's fate. The coaches got to play a hard worker whose first 3 games outproduced MW's first 4. No brainer to keep playing him.

Perhaps Marrone didn't like this trade either? Maybe it was another of the problems between him and Whaley. I can see this as a plausible answer to the riddle. Whaley trades for the guy that basically quit on Marrone in college. Marrone doesn't like the acquisition so he gives Whaley the big finger by deactivating Williams? It seems like one of dozens of possible reasons, but one I didn't see mentioned.

I find it far more likely Williams recieved a reduced role because of his comments. It fits the type of personality that Marrone has, as well as why he had a major role up to that point.

Edited by FireChan

Will he want too much money? Is there really a demand for caveman? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he clear waivers?

Correction, outside of his rookie year he has NOT produced, hence Tampa willing to trade him for just a 6th rounder or so. If he was really worth a damn no way they part ways with him. Now I agree Marrone had something to do with this BS

JH, Caveman Mike cleared waivers and is currently sitting at home as a FA.

Kellyto83TD, this is comical. Williams had 3 very good years for Tampa, almost identical stats: 65, 65, and 63 receptions for 964, 771, and 996 yds.

His production fell off in 2013 when he only played 6 games. That was also the year Josh Freeman fell apart and got benched for Mike Glennon, which may have had most to do with it.

Now there might be something there which would keep us from wanting him back. Maybe he was a bit like Ochocinco, undisciplined route runner whom Carson Palmer accommodated but who flamed out under Brady who expected crisp, precise routes run as he expected. Maybe Williams was someone Freeman (in his good days) accommodated but Glennon would not; maybe Manuel liked him but Orton demanded routes run as expected. (This is speculation on my part)

But blurting out stuff that can be unambiguously shown false with a couple mouse clicks doesn't confer any credibility.

Mike Williams didn't get a sniff since he left Buffalo....there has to be more to this story :cry:

Um, IR late in the season? Not many teams have a use for an injured WR who needs to learn their offense on the fly? Bills didn't reach a settlement with him until 8 December and IIRC, injury settlement doesn't mean you're healthy, just means you think you might be able to play for someone before season's end.

Edited by Hopeful