Tank Part 2

zevo

The more i think about it....the more Im leaning towards once again blowing it all up and starting from scratch....it begins and ends with a franchise QB....we are not getting one without a top 3 pick in all likelyhood....i know we were so close this year but there is no answer to the QB position. The Bills may have to use the sabres model. Not sure how you suck with such a great defense but a start may be to just let hughes walk for big money. Just overall dissapointing and I feel for the players that played their hearts out this year on defense.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This notion of "tanking" the season to get our franchise QB in the draft is simply ridiculous. Wayyyy too much talent on this team, and even if you do pick in the top 5, there is no guarantee you're getting an Andrew Luck. The Bills need to work with EJ, draft a QB, and bring in a veteran UFA to compete and mentor. The Bills are ready to win NOW.

Stop with the madness, please.

The more i think about it....the more Im leaning towards once again blowing it all up and starting from scratch....it begins and ends with a franchise QB....we are not getting one without a top 3 pick in all likelyhood....i know we were so close this year but there is no answer to the QB position. The Bills may have to use the sabres model. Not sure how you suck with such a great defense but a start may be to just let hughes walk for big money. Just overall dissapointing and I feel for the players that played their hearts out this year on defense.

The last two Superbowls were won by great defenses with Wilson and Flacco coming along for the ride. So having said that, I think blowing up the Bills' best defense in the NFL is an epically dumb idea.

Who is the player that you want to tank for? I'm not looking for the QB position but the player specifically. I want to institute a new rule and anytime someone has the "we need a franchise QB" that person should go on record with their selection. Edited by Kirby Jackson

We're not that bad that we have to blow it up. When you look at it we went from a top offense a few years ago to a lousy one, and a lousy D to a top D.

The pieces are there, we just need to get them put together right.

Maybe you should look around the league and see where the majority of QBs were drafted or if you are lazy just look at the playoff teams bc majority of those QBs were not drafted in top 3 either.

Also might want to consider what QB will even be worthy of a top 3 pick in the 2016 draft which is most likely impossible to even think about right now so to answer your question no they shouldn't tank and to suggest it is pretty lame IMO. This team is too talented for that and should hv been in the playoffs this year.

Update: Only 4 of the 12 QBs in the playoffs this year were top 3 picks but you can make a case for 5 with Palmer on the Cards. Still think they should tank?

Edited by Max997

I think there is a danger in focusing exclusively on a quarterback. No doubt he is the most important player but he is not the only player. I am not convinced that the best quarterback is always the first to be drafted. When you look at selections over the years that has proven not to be the case. If anything we need to look for a quarterback that can be developed. The jury is still out on EJ. We will have to see how he performs in practice and preseason next year.

i thoroughly expected most of these responses...i know it isnt a guarentee...i just dont know how to get there otherwise and it seems the bills do not either as we have struck out since Jimbo....this is obviously all just my opinion so no reason to get defensive....i really do not want to start from scratch but its tough for me to see any other option....maybe a strong play to try to pry brees out of Nola

This isn't Hockey

Who is the player that you want to tank for? I'm not looking for the QB position but the player specifically. I want to institute a new rule and anytime someone has the "we need a franchise QB" that person should go on record with their selection.

Cody Kessler is starting to look damn good over at USC. I'll go on record saying he will be the top QB selected next year and I would want him, but there is no way our team falls off to a position of being able to draft that high. Just way too much talent.

As far as the OP goes, if you look at the "franchise" and "elite" qb's in the league, more of them were drafted outside the top 3 than were drafted in the top 3. Just off the top of my head real quick:

Outside - Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Big Ben, Flacco, Wilson, Rivers (4th), Romo. - 8

Inside - Peyton, Cam, Stafford, Ryan (could be just out, can't remember for sure), Luck, Eli. - 6

Edited by Mark80

I think the QB's many consider "franchise" QB's would never have made it to that status if the rest of the teams surrounding them were mediocre. More often than not they become franchise type QB's because they had a lot of talent around them. It would be outlandishly foolish to throw away the solid foundation that's been built so far in search of the elusive franchise QB.

Who is the player that you want to tank for? I'm not looking for the QB position but the player specifically. I want to institute a new rule and anytime someone has the "we need a franchise QB" that person should go on record with their selection.

connor cook

connor cook

I like Cook but he is a fringe 1st rounder. You don't tank for fringe 1st rounders. Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning maybe but that's once a decade and that's if you are a 5 win team you may try to win 2. A 9 win team doesn't do that even for Luck or Manning let alone Connor Cook.

Cody Kessler is starting to look damn good over at USC. I'll go on record saying he will be the top QB selected next year and I would want him, but there is no way our team falls off to a position of being able to draft that high. Just way too much talent.

As far as the OP goes, if you look at the "franchise" and "elite" qb's in the league, more of them were drafted outside the top 3 than were drafted in the top 3. Just off the top of my head real quick:

Outside - Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Big Ben, Flacco, Wilson, Rivers (4th), Romo. - 8

Inside - Peyton, Cam, Stafford, Ryan (could be just out, can't remember for sure), Luck, Eli. - 6

Nice post and that's interesting. I believe that Ryan was selected 3rd.

he played nicely this year

a guy i want to see more of is brad kaaya

Let me rephrase what I mean on Connor Cook, he is overrated in the aspect of being a #1 overall or top 3 pick in my opinion. Late first or early second and he is not overrated and could become a very good QB. I have seen him look horrendous at times and great other times. Just look at that last bowl game. He was borderline atrocious in the first half and then was the best QB in the world in the second half. Too much Jekyll and Hyde for my liking.

As far as Kaaya goes, being a Miami fan I watch a lot of their games. He has a loooonnnngggg way to go still. He was only a true freshman this year though, so he has to play at least 2 more seasons.

Edited by Mark80