Tank Part 2

zevo

I was thinking to do just the opposite...I think the bills should considering trading ALL of their picks this year (maybe even a first or second from next year if needed) for the best OLine that we can build and maybe a few options at QB. I'm not 100% serious here, but i thought this idea was worth a shot or a thought at least...

This is really close to where I am. There's no use being in Milwaukee Bucks hell (as I think Bill Simmons called it) -- somewhere between 6-10 and 10-6 every year with some great pieces but not really close to competing for an AFC championship, drafting between 12th and 20th every season, then watching your key players get old, expensive, and gone. This is the window of opportunity, right now. No reason to kid ourselves. Unless there are major changes in AFC teams in the offseason, the following teams will start off 2015 with better championship odds than the Bills:

NE

Denver

San Diego

Miami

Kansas City

Baltimore

Cincinnati

Pittsburgh

Even with a stellar defense, that's 9 teams ahead of us. And only 6 make the playoffs. And let's be honest: Houston and Cleveland are right there with us just behind this bunch. To put it another way, despite an encouraging 9-7 season, we're clearly better than only 3 AFC teams right now (Jacksonville, Raiders, Titans).

That's the bad news. The good news is the margins are razor thin. We can't jump all the way into the Denver-NE group, but with some significant signings/trades, with the cap room we should have moving into the next tier is obtainable, and sometimes teams in that tier (Baltimore 2012) wind up exceeding expectations all the way to the Super Bowl. If you go all in and miss, then you start from scratch with top draft picks in 2017.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The more i think about it....the more Im leaning towards once again blowing it all up and starting from scratch....it begins and ends with a franchise QB....we are not getting one without a top 3 pick in all likelyhood....i know we were so close this year but there is no answer to the QB position. The Bills may have to use the sabres model. Not sure how you suck with such a great defense but a start may be to just let hughes walk for big money. Just overall dissapointing and I feel for the players that played their hearts out this year on defense.

I guess I should have called my thread tank part 1

I like Cook but he is a fringe 1st rounder. You don't tank for fringe 1st rounders. Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning maybe but that's once a decade and that's if you are a 5 win team you may try to win 2. A 9 win team doesn't do that even for Luck or Manning let alone Connor Cook.

Wont be fringe next year

I'm 100% with you. THE FUTURE IS NOW! Do whatever you can to win in 2015-16. Mario, Kyle, Dareus, Hughes -- those guys won't be together much longer. Don't waste something great!

I third that. Dareus' contract lasts one more year. Another several of the key players will be on contract year next year. They might leave. Hell, Shwartz might leave!

Wasting that by tanking is the exact opposite of what we need to do!