Head Coach candidate: Hue Jackson

YoloinOhio

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you know nothing about his resume. Every time he has been a position coach, he has developed stud players, every offence he has coordinated has improved greatly from the year before, and his only coaching stint with Oakland was a horrendous situation where he lost his starting qb, and the rb that was having an mvp season and still had the team playing for the playoffs in the last game. Read the article on his head coaching r candidate thread that was from when he was recently fired from Oakland, the read his Wikipedia article.

Also.... And mind you I have never complained about this before, but why is this not being discussed in the "HC candidate:hue Jackson thread?"

Almost makes me want to say "In" but i won't cause I'm not a douche. At least not today.

Considering I read up on him and looked at his resume before posting I would say I do and again there isnt anything that impresses me about him

Hiring Hue would be no different then the rest of the clowns the Bills have hired since firing Wade

If the Bills really do believe in some stability then given what we heard from Michael Silver about Jackson being likely to fight hard to keep Schwartz and given that there is that relationship going back to his USC days with the Hacketts does he now offer a better stability option even than Schwartz? I am speculating I appreciate, but the lack of leaks leaves us a vaccum to speculate into.

If the Bills really do believe in some stability then given what we heard from Michael Silver about Jackson being likely to fight hard to keep Schwartz and given that there is that relationship going back to his USC days with the Hacketts does he now offer a better stability option even than Schwartz? I am speculating I appreciate, but the lack of leaks leaves us a vaccum to speculate into.

I dont understand the fight hard to keep Schwartz part. He is under contract, no one has to fight to keep him

I had this same thought. There could be no changes defensively and some upgrading at QB coach, RB coach, OL coach. I think there is a possibility of keeping Hackett and would be interesting to see his play calling under Hue.

Just gonna say that.

Somewhere, someone is saying "9-7 with the Bills. Dude can coach. Period."

Good for those people. But clearly the Raiders didn't have the DEF we have. Based on what happened to the Raiders after he left, it's clear he was making lemonade out of lemons. With our current DEF, almost any coach can go 8-8 with Buffalo right now.

I dont understand the fight hard to keep Schwartz part. He is under contract, no one has to fight to keep him

I agree. I am really confused by the stance of some on here with regards to Schwartz. There seems to be an overwhelming fear that we are going to somehow loose the guy or piss him off.

You have to put yourself in his shoes. He has had no HC interviews other than us. It is in his best interest for the Bills offense to improve, thereby improving the overall team. And for him to show up to work, coach the hell out of our stud defense for another year, and ride that wave into another HC gig in 2016.

Schwartzs' best bet is to stay put, get on board with the new HC (even if he is a "greener" guy) and have the Bills D ball out one more year.

Good for those people. But clearly the Raiders didn't have the DEF we have. Based on what happened to the Raiders after he left, it's clear he was making lemonade out of lemons. With our current DEF, almost any coach can go 8-8 with Buffalo right now.

What about before Hue became head coach? It's not like he took a 2-14 or 4-12 team and turned them into an 8-8 team in one season. The Raiders were 8-8 the year before under Cable as well so let's not make his 8-8 season anymore than it is.

The AFC West in 2011 was not a good division either with 3 teams finishing 8-8 and one finishing 7-9

Edited by Max997

I agree. I am really confused by the stance of some on here with regards to Schwartz. There seems to be an overwhelming fear that we are going to somehow loose the guy or piss him off.

You have to put yourself in his shoes. He has had no HC interviews other than us. It is in his best interest for the Bills offense to improve, thereby improving the overall team. And for him to show up to work, coach the hell out of our stud defense for another year, and ride that wave into another HC gig in 2016.

Schwartzs' best bet is to stay put, get on board with the new HC (even if he is a "greener" guy) and have the Bills D ball out one more year.

I think the thought process is more around the lines that a new HC would want his own DC and OC, since the performance of those positions will make or break him as a coach. Coaches are have specific ideas on how a team should operate and if the DC has a totally different attitude/mindset it could cause a coaching rift that a HC may not want to deal with.

What about before Hue became head coach? It's not like he took a 2-14 or 4-12 team and turned them into an 8-8 team in one season. The Raiders were 8-8 the year before under Cable as well and even finished in a tie for first with two other teams losing tie breakers for the division so let's not make his 8-8 season anymore than it is.

The season they went 8-8 before, Hue was the OC and that was why they went 8-8 then too. Cable was fired for a reason, and Hue was promoted for a reason. The biggest reason Hue was let go, was Al died the next year and his son decided to bring in a GM finally in Reggie McKenzie. He wanted his legacy based off of a coach he hired, not one that was already in placed. This is also why there are seldom GM Changes in the NFL without a corresponding HC change. Look at DC this year, its a rare occurrence and makes you wonder how short of a leash that Jay Gruden has now.

I think the thought process is more around the lines that a new HC would want his own DC and OC, since the performance of those positions will make or break him as a coach. Coaches are have specific ideas on how a team should operate and if the DC has a totally different attitude/mindset it could cause a coaching rift that a HC may not want to deal with.

I get this for sure. I know that it is a complex situation. It would just blow my mind for a new HC to take any approach other than "if it ain't broke, dont fix it". Hopefully it goes down that way. I guess we shall see.

The season they went 8-8 before, Hue was the OC and that was why they went 8-8 then too. Cable was fired for a reason, and Hue was promoted for a reason. The biggest reason Hue was let go, was Al died the next year and his son decided to bring in a GM finally in Reggie McKenzie. He wanted his legacy based off of a coach he hired, not one that was already in placed. This is also why there are seldom GM Changes in the NFL without a corresponding HC change. Look at DC this year, its a rare occurrence and makes you wonder how short of a leash that Jay Gruden has now.

All bc of Hue, got it.

So everyone wants the guy who has proved to be average...thought we were all tired of those type of guys.

I feel like Im in the twilight zone reading some of this.

Again, my strong impression of Hue is that he is more of a politician than a coach. He is a salesman. Not a details guy, and there were rumors in Baltimore that he was backstabbing other coaches and players. I would be very concerned about this hire.

Of course, that would explain why Gruden likes him. Same personality type but with less coaching chops.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I don't accept that he has proven to be average. His body of non HC coach work is consistently impressive. From the fact that he has coached in the NFL on all 3 phases, to the work he did with Flacco as a rookie and 2nd year QB, to the offense he ran as OC in Oakland with Jason Campbell at QB, to his work with Gio Bernard as a rookie in Cinncy in 2013, to his re-balancing of the Bengals offense this year away from an ultra reliance on a league average Quarterback.

None of that strikes me as average. Has he proven to be average as a Head Coach? I don't know that you can prove anything in 1 season to be honest. Especially with the turmoil he had that one year in Oakland. If the Bills hire him and he proves to be no good I will hold my hands up, but he would be my preference at this moment in time. None of us are sitting in on the interviews though are we? So we don't have all the information that the owners and the GM are making the decision upon.

Hue is a good coordinator but IMO not a great choice for HC. Always playing politics and trying to get more power. Marvin keeps him in check where he is now because the two are good friends.

I would much rather hire Schwartz if it came down to it. Or even a hotshot like Pep Hamilton or a fan favorite like Frank Reich.

Hue answering directly to Pegula and not Whaley would be idea for Hue but would almost inevitably cause problems.

I wouldn't hate the idea, but I'm "meh" at best about it. I also doubt Pegula picks him as his #1 choice.

All bc of Hue, got it.

So everyone wants the guy who has proved to be average...thought we were all tired of those type of guys.

I feel like Im in the twilight zone reading some of this.

The guy had nothing to work with. Again, he made lemonade out of lemons. Send the best three coaches in the league to, say, the Bucs, but it won't help Tampa make the playoffs. They need players. And we have them, at least on DEF. A good head coach can get the most out of the talent he has. IMO, Jackson wold get the most out of this team.

I'm scared - Sully is on-board with the move

http://buckyandsully.buffalonews.com/2015/01/09/hue-jackson-figures-near-top-list-bills-next-coach/

Even better he advocates first for Shanny - I can only see the "Pegula's failed by hiring a retread!" after he loses a game or two! :D

From that article:

"He went to Oakland as offensive coordinator in 2010. That season, the Raiders scored 410 points, more than TWICE as many as the year before and 90 points higher than in any season since the 2002 team with Rich Gannon at quarterback."

In.