We need a Coach & OC that can properly develop EJ

BmarvB

Let's not give up on EJ yet, it's way too soon for that. The right coach & OC can develop him into a competent QB. We don't need him to become a Brady/Manning overnight. Just get our running game back to where it was (#2), keep the run pass ratio around 60/40. That's the formula the Jets used with Mark Sanchez to get to back to back AFC championship games. If we can keep our D intact, we can do the same thing for now with him behind center and develop him at the same time.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Detroit Lions did this after they drafted Joey Harrington, and he failed to develop into a top QB. The Lions brought in Steve Mariucci to help develop him, and it did no good.

588 passing attempts vs 376 rushing attempts tells me that they wanted the young QB to carry the entire offense. This happens all to often, and its started in 2014 with EJ against the Chargers.

Any new HC needs to build a dominate O line, run game and let EJ manage the game. Should that happen, he may develop into a decent player.

The Detroit Lions did this after they drafted Joey Harrington, and he failed to develop into a top QB. The Lions brought in Steve Mariucci to help develop him, and it did no good.

588 passing attempts vs 376 rushing attempts tells me that they wanted the young QB to carry the entire offense. This happens all to often, and its started in 2014 with EJ against the Chargers.

Any new HC needs to build a dominate O line, run game and let EJ manage the game. Should that happen, he may develop into a decent player.

Exactly. If we can do 588 rushing attempts and 376 passing attempts, that would help the offense (and EJ) out a lot. But in order to do that, we need the O-Line to handle its business up front like they did in 2013 when we had a top 5 running game.

I don't think you need a HC for that, maybe a good OC and/or QB coach, but just do need a HC who understands the need for it.

I think you need this but, you also need a HC that understand the current qb situation and will get the needed OC/QB coach to develop EJ or whatever other young QB we have. I don't see a FA qb coming in that will be able to take off from day 1 next year.

Ive been supportive of EJ because hes a Bill. He was drafted with alot of promising skills. If he succeeds, great, if not, oh well.

Going into his third year in the league now, hes seen quite a bit, and i feel like its on him now. A great QB coach and OC would be fantastic, but if hes capable, its gotta be all on him at this point. Either hes got it or he dont. Im pulling for him still, but if he drops off a cliff this year, thats his problem, not coaches.

I think you need this but, you also need a HC that understand the current qb situation and will get the needed OC/QB coach to develop EJ or whatever other young QB we have. I don't see a FA qb coming in that will be able to take off from day 1 next year.

There really isn't much in the way of a FA that's going to come in as a starter and hit the ground running, but we should be able to get a decent backup to help EJ along.

Bevell is my top choice for HC along with Schwartz, and I think that he would have the best chance to develop him. It's possible that Reich could help him along with an OC and QB coach, but that would be three new guys in his ear, when that was one of his biggest issues, thinking too much and not just playing football.

If Bevell were the HC and took control of the offense and EJ (along with whomever else they brought in as a vet backup or stopgap starter) and promoted Schwartz to Associate HC and gave him a huge raise, that would be our best bet outside of Chip Kelly.

Agreed. That's why Chan would make a lot of sense as OC, as improbable as that is. I haven't seen any better proven OC's out there with a track record of developing young or mediocre QB talent into results. The guy worked wonders with QB's like: Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Jay Fiedler, Tyler Thigpen, and Fitz.

Bevell is my top choice for HC along with Schwartz, and I think that he would have the best chance to develop him. It's possible that Reich could help him along with an OC and QB coach, but that would be three new guys in his ear, when that was one of his biggest issues, thinking too much and not just playing football.

If Bevell were the HC and took control of the offense and EJ (along with whomever else they brought in as a vet backup or stopgap starter) and promoted Schwartz to Associate HC and gave him a huge raise, that would be our best bet outside of Chip Kelly.

the ones standing out for me right now are this, and malzahn (and kelly)

It's interesting to me that Polian said that the departure of Orton played a role in his decision. I mean, it's not like the Bills don't have a big-armed first round qb going into his third season on the roster! Now that we're pretty sure that Marrone gave Polian the lowdown (in his view) of the overall situation, I can't help but think that Marrone told Polian in no uncertain terms that Manuel was a no-hope bust.

100% agree. This would be a huge, huge, huge upgrade.