Front office power struggle in Philly - (update: Chip given personnel

YoloinOhio

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly doesn't necessarily need to be hired, he's under contract with Philly. He could be traded for right? If we gave him control of the roster and asked he keep the defense in place, why would he not go for it? A top 5 defense in place ready to go, I would find Buffalo an attractive landing spot.

Kelly doesn't necessarily need to be hired, he's under contract with Philly. He could be traded for right? If we gave him control of the roster and asked he keep the defense in place, why would he not go for it? A top 5 defense in place ready to go, I would find Buffalo an attractive landing spot.

Correct. Buffalo would still have to comply with the Rooney Rule though.

Correct. Buffalo would still have to comply with the Rooney Rule though.

Oh I think you'd have to re-negotiate his contract. The Bills would trade their #1 for him and then he'd take a college job. :lol:

He's even weaselier than Marrone. I don't see him sticking anywhere for more than 3-4 seasons but that's all the Bills really need at this point.

They should just call MarQueise Gray in right now and talk to him. Get it over with. He has dreadlocks for crissakes.

Whaley could interview himself.

Oh I think you'd have to re-negotiate his contract. The Bills would trade their #1 for him and then he'd take a college job. :lol:

He's even weaselier than Marrone. I don't see him sticking anywhere for more than 3-4 seasons but that's all the Bills really need at this point.

Whaley could interview himself.

Well he's used to people talking behind his back, so it wouldn't look too weird.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Chip Kelly is exactly the kind of coach that Pegula wants IMO. Someone with enough clout and stature to command that position and can handle being the top dog in football operations. Then he can bring in personnel people to run scouting department. It would negate the need for a football czar because the HC would be credible enough to run the show.

This is how Seattle and New England are structured. Its why Harbaugh is not in SF anymore.

He can't give the keys to just any coach he hires though. Kelly would be perfect fit here.

On the surface, I would love it. Chip Kelly as HC with Schwartz on defense would get this team in the playoffs this year. I have no doubt about that.

Kelly, however, is a dick and ego maniac to rival Marrone. I'm not sure what his demands would be. If it's to bring in Gamble and that means get rid of Whaley who I like a lot, I may not be on board.

But getting Kelly, the next couple years may be really fun. We would be instantly back to relevance. It may be worth a 2-3 year trial.

IF Whaley were to hire Kelly, I would be doing cartwheels, because that would mean they somehow came to an agreement about power. It may not last but that would be awesome.

I agree, and it could mean that Kelly has total power over the offensive side, and Whaley over the defensive side. Man-0-man would that be a beautiful thing.

The only thing they would fight over is which side gets the first pick in the draft.

Can Gamble and Whaley co-exist?

They do exactly the same thing so no.

If I am Pegs and Whaley I give the Philly owner a call and see if we can get Chip off their hands. Even throw in 10M or so. Like someone said Chip with CJ and Sammy might be able to come up with a way to utilize these guys in space. Plus heck he might even be able to make EJ an actual QB

Eagles were rumored to like EJ that year.

So Kelly infuriates Roseman with a thinly veiled crack at his heritage and their stereotypical love of and skill with money and then Lurie trades Kelly for......10M cash? :lol:

There is some nice poetry to that.

I think we should trade our #3 pick in the draft, and Overdorf, to the Eagles for Chip Kelly, and then sign Tom Gamble as a street free agent. Put him in charge of pro personnel, and give Chip Kelly two red poker chips a year to use at his discretion to override any Whaley decision with his own guy he wants. Just two.

I doubt Chip would want to come to a team with no 1st round pick and one of the worst QB situations in the NFL. Not that the Bills job is unappealing but a guy who is offensively minded and will be a hot commodity isn't going to want to come here.

I bet he would because he can succeed with almost anyone at QB. Here is where there is a built in championship defense along with some playmakers.

In the NFL I see Kelly as a guy who sticks around for a few years, then moves on. He's so successful as a college coach because his players cycle through every 3-4 years. If he were to sign with Buffalo, he'd be a short timer.

IMO, Whaley is here for the long haul. I like the job he's done overall. Not perfect, but pretty darn good. The thinking in hiring a young talented guy, is he brings stability to the organization for years to come. With everything going on recently, we need stability.

If signing Kelly would mean losing Whaley,....Well, I would not trade Whaley for Kelly.

Edited by I_want_2_BILL_Lieve