Polian in, Nix out

Can't quote for whatever reason but Bill Polian brings his son along almost anywhere he goes. Promoting Chris to gm was his downfall in indy. He lucked into his qbs. Although he is very thorough when drafting them. I absolutely hate bill's drafting and despise chris' drafting

Tom Telesco, the Chargers GM, David Caldwell, GM of the Jaguars and Chris Polian Director of Pro Personnel for the Jaguars all went to St. Francis HS (my alma mater) and John Fisher college. All of them received their start working for Bill Polian grooming all three of them for becoming a GM someday. I seriously doubt Bill will bring in Chris, nor would Chris want to work for dad again, vs sprouting his own wings somewhere else.

I like Bill as the new President, which s what he wanted 20 years ago, but Wilson went with Littman vs. Polian and looked what happened. He hasn't lost his knowledge of football, and he would have his own GM (possibly Whaley) under him. It's not any different than Rich McKay in Atlanta. They still have a GM under him.

Bill knows how to run an organization and he;s not going to do something stupid like bring Marv back. There are a number of Presidents of NFL teams in their 70's. I'm excited as I trust Polian's judgement.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just posted on FB -and I was texted about it a half hr ago

Jason La Canfora ✔ @JasonLaCanfora

Follow

Bill Polian will be taking over as Bills team president/football czar but move may not be announced til late Jan, due to his commitments

6:33 PM - 31 Dec 2014

924 RETWEETS 343 FAVORITES ReplyRetweetFavorite

Hmmmm. Is this or isn't this good news? He's an old guy now and gave a lot of responsibility to his never-been kid Chris at his last gig.

Also the rumors that he was an arrogant prick. I don't share the general euphoria.

Also the rumors that he was an arrogant prick.

You don't get things done by smiling,and serving tea, and crumpets as an NFL executive.

In a negotiation, you can always acquiesce. A power play quit is a bit different than a straight out dismissal.

Pegula fired Marrone, but took the high road.

Marrone was getting his $4 mil., regardless.

In the public arena, Marrone looks bad by quitting on the team in search of more $$$, and/or power.

He has none of that baggage if he was fired outright.

NFL teams may look at Marrone with a more jaundiced eye since he publicly put his personal desires above the team.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Ted William's frozen head

You don't get things done by smiling,and serving tea, and crumpets as an NFL executive.

Pegula fired Marrone, but took the high road.

Marrone was getting his $4 mil., regardless.

In the public arena, Marrone looks bad by quitting on the team in search of more $$$, and/or power.

He has none of that baggage if he was fired outright.

NFL teams may look at Marrone with a more jaundiced eye since he publicly put his personal desires above the team.

Just my opinion.

This is almost too stupid to warrant any response. But I'm feeling charitable. If Pegula fired Marrone, why wait the three days of the opt-out clause? He could have fired him, and been charitable, without bringing the clause into play. So that leads us to the questions: If Marrone immediately said "I'm staying", didn't ask for an extension or raise and agreed to fire Hackett, etc--would he still be head coach today? If you answer "Yes" then he wasn't fired. If you answer "No" you have to wonder whether Pegula has any balls---and we know the answer to that already.

This is almost too stupid to warrant any response. But I'm feeling charitable. If Pegula fired Marrone, why wait the three days of the opt-out clause? He could have fired him, and been charitable, without bringing the clause into play. So that leads us to the questions: If Marrone immediately said "I'm staying", didn't ask for an extension or raise and agreed to fire Hackett, etc--would he still be head coach today? If you answer "Yes" then he wasn't fired. If you answer "No" you have to wonder whether Pegula has any balls---and we know the answer to that already.

Or TP gave Marrone the option to play it this way, ie, you're not coaching here next year, but you can play it how you want it, and then Marrone had to determine which was worse for him, seen as quitting on his team or being fired. It wouldn't surprise me if this is what happened.

those Indy teams were awful sans Manning.

Absolutely. Which is why I am vehemently against Bill Polian in any capacity other than an advisor or consultant. And for that role, he is unlikely to leave the studio.

Doug Farrar in si.com article, http://www.si.com/nf...ts-out-contract, implies Polian deal already done ...

"With the announcement that former Bills, Panthers and Coltspersonnel czar Bill Polian will be taking over the team in all relevant ways, it's entirely possible that Marrone, who had a three-day escape clause in his deal related to the sale of the team to current owner Terry Pegula, saw a situation in which he would be the odd man out. Polian has strong opinions about what he wants and how he wants it (to say the least), and it's hard to imagine that he'd return to a front office from his current ESPN position without the promise of absolute control."

In that arrangement, I can't see how Whaley and Polian can co-exist. If we lose Whaley, this will be one poor and sorry move for the franchise.

Whaley is a terrible GM. Drafting EJ and trading to draft Watkins should be reason enough to be fired. Any GM can do a few good things. How many make mistakes that big and keep their jobs? If Polian is named President then everyone under him should go. They have to somehow break out of this never ending cycle of mediocrity. Build from the top down. All new everything and yes Ralph WAS cheap when it came to coaches/management. That is no longer the case. Stop hanging on to the dream that Whaley is a football genius. Brandon can go too. The fact he had any say in football decisions is laughable.

Just posted on FB -and I was texted about it a half hr ago

Jason La Canfora ✔ @JasonLaCanfora

Follow

Bill Polian will be taking over as Bills team president/football czar but move may not be announced til late Jan, due to his commitments

6:33 PM - 31 Dec 2014

...And those 'commitments' would be the Hall of Fame vote on 1.31.15

Whaley is a terrible GM. Drafting EJ and trading to draft Watkins should be reason enough to be fired. Any GM can do a few good things. How many make mistakes that big and keep their jobs? If Polian is named President then everyone under him should go. They have to somehow break out of this never ending cycle of mediocrity. Build from the top down. All new everything and yes Ralph WAS cheap when it came to coaches/management. That is no longer the case. Stop hanging on to the dream that Whaley is a football genius. Brandon can go too. The fact he had any say in football decisions is laughable.

1.) Whaley was not GM for the EJ draft.

2.) Eric Ebron is a bust. The Sammy Watkins trade was a great move by any measurement (DO NOT MENTION ODB BECAUSE HE WAS NOT A REALISTIC OPTION AT #9 OVERALL)

I am going on record and saying that Bill Polian is a huge mistake, especially if he brings his deadbeat son into the team.

We need someone born after WWII to run the football side, at a minimum.

The entire franchise is back to teetering on a precarious ledge.

On one side we have the possibility of Polian, his son as GM, Reich as HC, and it's the "same ol Bills" and "Ralph is cheap" all over again.

On the other side we have Polian, Whaley as GM, and a HC like Gruden or Cowher, and it's a new direction for the organization under a big-time owner.

edit: of course, these scenarios are just gleamed off internet and message board speculation. it could, and most likely will, go a completely different way than either.

Edited by DrDareustein

Or TP gave Marrone the option to play it this way, ie, you're not coaching here next year, but you can play it how you want it, and then Marrone had to determine which was worse for him, seen as quitting on his team or being fired. It wouldn't surprise me if this is what happened.

But that simply doesn't seem like the way it went down, given the information that has been released. The team said they wanted Doug back. There really is no reason to even say that, if you are firing the guy. And why let him wait until the 3rd day to make the announcement? If it went down as you say, then TP says, "we'll announce it today", no? I think people are convolution this too much, to make it seem like Doug was run out of town. Sorry, I don't buy it. But it was clear they weren't going to give him an extension, or more power. You might call it a mutual parting. But I think had Doug made no demands, and complied with all the Bills requests, he'd still be HC.

I can't say I'm celebrating this. But this is an opportunity, and I hope the Bills take advantage of it. I can see a scenario where they take a step backwards. One thing for sure, once again the offseason might be more interesting than the actual season for the Bills.

On one side we have the possibility of Polian, his son as GM, Reich as HC, and it's the "same ol Bills" and "Ralph is cheap" all over again.

On the other side we have Polian, Whaley as GM, and a HC like Gruden or Cowher, and it's a new direction for the organization under a big-time owner.

edit: of course, these scenarios are just gleamed off internet and message board speculation. it could, and most likely will, go a completely different way than either.

Exactly (though I don't think the "Pegs is cheap" tag will be applied in the near future).

Yup. I really don't think that Polian is being brought in to be a GM.

Deano, it could be as simple as Pegula saying Doug, we like you, we don't like the offense, we want you to get rid of Hackett and Morris and get a new OC in here. Marrone said no. Pegula said that's what I want, I'm the owner. If you don't, you're fired. Doug said then I quit. To me, that's being fired.

NFL HC is a game of musical chairs. You cannot take your time.

Polian knows that.

I doubt Polian is going to sit around with his thumb up his arse during HC hiring time if he really were coming back to the Bills.

It makes no sense.

I expect a Polian announcement this week or not at all.

If it is later then !@#$, he proves that he is not a good football mind by waiting until the end of january to **** or get off the pot.

NFL HC is a game of musical chairs. You cannot take your time.

Polian knows that.

I doubt Polian is going to sit around with his thumb up his arse during HC hiring time if he really were coming back to the Bills.

It makes no sense.

I expect a Polian announcement this week or not at all.

If it is later then !@#$, he proves that he is not a good football mind by waiting until the end of january to **** or get off the pot.

Why does there need to be an announcement for him to start working for the Bills?

Deano, it could be as simple as Pegula saying Doug, we like you, we don't like the offense, we want you to get rid of Hackett and Morris and get a new OC in here. Marrone said no. Pegula said that's what I want, I'm the owner. If you don't, you're fired. Doug said then I quit. To me, that's being fired.

Yes, I think that's how it went down. But I disagree that is being fired. If you simply agree with what was offered, and you get to keep your job---that ain't being fired, as you could have still been employed at the same position and salary. At worst, it can be termed something like "mutually agreed to part ways".

Then again, we've had this go-round already. :lol:

You wonder if Marrone going forces Polian to move faster than 1/31/2015. You also have to wonder if Polian is already involved....

Scary thought is, what if there is no Polian and all of this talk is just that - Where does that leave us?