Polian in, Nix out

Why does there need to be an announcement for him to start working for the Bills?

I don't think their NEEDS to be an announcement. He could be working "unofficially" for them now (not sure how his bosses at ESPN would go for that). But when he goes on the payroll there will be an announcement because, well, because that's what teams do. They announce arrivals and departures. Just like JetBlue.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i just said something very similar to my dad. I don't want Polian to come in if he is going to be an active hands on guy, if he comes in in an advisory capacity and lets whaley do his thing(good or bad) then fine, but Polian's sun set long ago

I'm okay with Polian coming as long as he keeps Whaley. Pushing out Whaley would be a terrible move by this franchise. I'm not a fan of glory years moves.

You wonder if Marrone going forces Polian to move faster than 1/31/2015. You also have to wonder if Polian is already involved....

Scary thought is, what if there is no Polian and all of this talk is just that - Where does that leave us?

It leaves us with Pegula, Brandon, and Whaley having to talk a Cowher or Gruden into coming back on their own. Something that I dont think is impossible given Pegulas resources, but it sure does make it more difficult. At the same time, coaching candidates may like the no-Polian route because it's one less cook in their kitchen, one less person to answer to, and gives them a little more power possibly.

I don't think their NEEDS to be an announcement. He could be working "unofficially" for them now (not sure how his bosses at ESPN would go for that). But when he goes on the payroll there will be an announcement because, well, because that's what teams do. They announce arrivals and departures. Just like JetBlue.

agreed that not announcing would be highly unusual. But it seems like a good situation to toss convention aside...

This is almost too stupid to warrant any response. But I'm feeling charitable. If Pegula fired Marrone, why wait the three days of the opt-out clause? He could have fired him, and been charitable, without bringing the clause into play. So that leads us to the questions: If Marrone immediately said "I'm staying", didn't ask for an extension or raise and agreed to fire Hackett, etc--would he still be head coach today? If you answer "Yes" then he wasn't fired. If you answer "No" you have to wonder whether Pegula has any balls---and we know the answer to that already.

If Pegula gave Marrone an ultimatum about assistants, his hand may have been forced into quitting since Hackett is his apparent butt buddy.

Thank you for your 'charity'. You're a real genius....

agreed that not announcing would be highly unusual. But it seems like a good situation to toss convention aside...

Understood. Good point. But there might actually be some soft of NFL policy about making announcements regarding these sorts of positions. Can't say for sure there is, but I don't think the NFL would go for a team working "undercover" with some phantom front office exec. It would come out fairly quickly anyway, I suppose.

If Pegula gave Marrone an ultimatum about assistants, his hand may have been forced into quitting since Hackett is his apparent butt buddy.

Thank you for your 'charity'. You're a real genius....

Agreed. I still don't think that qualifies as "firing". And I think that's likely the way it went down. I also think Marrone had info he would have some opportunities---plus he gets this year's salary. He might not have been so bold had neither of those conditions been present.

Understood. Good point. But there might actually be some soft of NFL policy about making announcements regarding these sorts of positions. Can't say for sure there is, but I don't think the NFL would go for a team working "undercover" with some phantom front office exec. It would come out fairly quickly anyway, I suppose.

true, true. I know nothing, Lebowski.

Cohwer has already stated that if/when he were to coach again, that his first hire would be Chan Gailey as OC.

I could live with Chan as OC---seriously. I wasn't crazy about his red zone play calling, but other than that, I loved his offensive design. Having Cowher to make the tough calls only makes it more appealing.

Cohwer has already stated that if/when he were to coach again, that his first hire would be Chan Gailey as OC.

I would take it. Re-sign Spiller for cheap, lets see what Chan can do with EJ, bringing back Chan's O would help our OL as well.

Id be ecstatic if our staff ended up Polian, Whaley, Cowher, Gailey, and Schwartz.

I could live with Chan as OC---seriously. I wasn't crazy about his red zone play calling, but other than that, I loved his offensive design. Having Cowher to make the tough calls only makes it more appealing.

Can you imagine chan with this defense? Easily a 10~11 win team. Of any OC out there, chan has the best record of squeezing the most out of a mediocre QB. He will make EJ look wholly competent.

I would take it. Re-sign Spiller for cheap, lets see what Chan can do with EJ, bringing back Chan's O would help our OL as well.

Id be ecstatic if our staff ended up Polian, Whaley, Cowher, Gailey, and Schwartz.

to dare to dream. sounds too over the top.

But heck that just sound like fun to me.

But cowher and gailey? Thats such a stretch at this point

You think Chan would come back?

ask his Wife how the Tomatoes are doing ? if poorly she might be glad to get rid of him to let him putz around 1BD for awhile : )

It doesn't.

The announcement would send a message to the NfL that the Bills ship is In order.

The idea of a Polian shadow game is ludicrous. You really shouldn't be posting without your tin foil hat! They can control your thoughts!

Sorry I don't buy this "commitment thing" Plenty of ex-football guys who go to the ESPN's of the world have the ability to leave anytime to get back into the game. Plus ESPN wouldn't want to tick off a future top executive of a team who could then tend to shut out the network on future big stories. Is ESPN's playoff coverage really going to fall apart without him if they only have 14 ex players/coaches instead of 15 or so?

I think the announcing later is he doesn't want it to influence his HOF voting. And yes I know it's been reported that he was nominated as a contributor so won't have any effect. That doesn't mean voters may not change their mind on him and leave him off the ballot if it's reported hes come back to a team again.

I think it would have been easy to have stayed hidden in the shadows till after the HOF vote and still give his opinion to the Bill's without anyone knowing it, but now with a new coach coming in, if the reports of him coming to the Bill's are true, can't believe this doesn't force him to come out of the closet now. He could easily cut an off the table deal with ESPN, they let him out of his commitment and he gives ESPN a two hour scoop on announcing the next HC. So will see what happens over the next few days. Maybe he stays through this weekends games, then on Monday it's announced he's leaving. Plus the NFL doesn't like teams making coaching hirings over the weekends whe nplayoff games are going on as they want all eyes and ears on the games themselves.

That was a classic line IMO!!

Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where they fire Kramer and he said, "well, I don't even work here!"

Or could it be he's plans to sit out a year and then go back to college. There are some similarities between him and Harbaugh around maybe being a little pig headed and petty. That is easier to deal with a 20 YO than NFL players.

Who was that famous college coach who stated he'd only go coach in the pros when he could be higher paid than all the players on his team? These days that may not even work in college! :)

I also think Marrone had info he would have some opportunities---plus he gets this year's salary.