Russ Brandon and Marrone's Opt-Out Clause

Bills1218

So you don't like him because the way he acted in a friggin press conference? His demeanor doesn't suit you? Really? That's why you want him gone? Please.

Sorry, my post wasn't meant to infer that I want him gone because of his press conference demeanor. My bad, it was poorly worded.

I have wanted Marrone gone for a while now. Probably since Orton's play fell off a cliff due to the opposing defenses knowing what "safe" plays they were going to run. I think that Marrone is a worse head coach than Dick Jauron. At least Jauron had the excuse for having a bad offense that he was a defense coach. This year, Marrone's offense scored the same amount of TDs that Jauron's did in his final full season has a Bills head coach.

I have no patience for a head coach who is this bad having an arrogant attitude. This team may get to the playoffs with him, but IMO they will forever be a one and done playoff team. You need to score points in the playoffs and his conservative offense is strictly point total averse.

Edited by 1billsfan

What makes you possibly think Marrone is trying to leverage a contract extension?

Carucci reported it last night. It also doesn't take a rocket surgeon to realize it's the smart play for Marrone to make right now:

However, league sources familiar with the situation said the clause was included when the Bills hired Marrone in 2013 as a safeguard because of the prospect of the team being sold, which happened when Terry and Kim Pegula bought the franchise last October. If Marrone was unhappy with the new ownership, or anything else, he would be free to seek employment elsewhere after his second season at the helm.

The chances of that happening seem slim, league sources say. They say the more practical application of the three-day window is for Marrone’s agent, Jimmy Sexton, to talk with the Pegulas about a contract extension for his client and perhaps seek a pay raise and more control over the 53-man roster.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/marrone-not-expected-to-use-contract-out-20141229

God, ur worse than ESPN!!! A bunch of national idiots that know less about the bills than the average poster on this board make up some pure speculation in order to make the new coaching carousel coverage more interesting on TV. Speculation that has absolutely no basis in fact, cannot be inferred from any statement made by anyone associated with the bills, and is literally made up from a contract nuance that Marrone has shown no evidence of being interested in.

Because of this you further speculate that their made up nonsense is based on something his "camp" has leaked to the press?

Good lord, man, don't you get that they make this stuff up to get internet, print and TV traffic? Don't buy into it, or even worse, extend it with your own made up nonsense.

Yes, me stating that there's no report he's done anything, but acknowledging it's possible that it's being floated by his people to see the reaction is worthy of that mess of a reply.

I'll start by admitting that I haven't always been the biggest fan of Coach Marrone's. I love the intensity he brings to his job and his enthusiasm for the game, but sometimes his weakness at managing the play clock and pace of the game goes beyond the pale (see: punting on fourth and one, not calling a timeout when special teams took the field against the Chiefs offense, etc.).

That said, it seems he really has the Bills by the horns right now with this opt-out clause. He can use his leverage to demand a contract extension from the new regime - whatever your opinion is of Marrone, I think everyone agrees that you don't get a contract extension for peaking at 9-7 and a game out of the playoffs.

Ultimately, the fault for this situation has to lie with Brandon, as he was overseeing the football operations during the final years of Ralph's tenure, and could have held strong on offering a three-year contract that didn't give away the Bills' bargaining power.

Whatever ends up happening in the next couple days with Marrone, Whaley, et al, it's now clearer than ever before for me that Pegula needs to completely divorce Brandon from the team's football operations. Let him handle the things he's good at - namely selling tickets and marketing the franchise - but his involvement in the football operations side of things has gone on far too long. Please stop letting him completely undermine the football side of things.

Brandon is a !@#$ing clown. No one can believe anything he says

What makes you possibly think Marrone is trying to leverage a contract extension?

Hey bros, see below:

While Marrone was negotiating an extension beyond the two years remaining on his four-year, $16 million deal, uncertainty over potential organizational changes influenced his decision, according to sources. [http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12104824/doug-marrone-opts-contract-buffalo-bills]

Now let's finally get rid of Brandon too.

Whoever wrote this deal may face some heat from the new owners. To let a contract be stipulated to put a new owner in this position was foolish.

If this was Whaley I am concerned, if this was Brandon I am furious.

Marrone took a hell of a risk taking the Bills job with RWS on his deathbed. Any incoming Bills coach (and his lawyer) sees RWS dying soon and a new owner probably putting their own people in. When you pay $1Bil for something, you bring your own people in to run it (common sense). Plus the team could have been moved to who knows where. So , you logically put a parachute clause in which says upon new ownership, you either re-commit to me , or I can opt out (eg. in case the team is moving to another country lets say) and take a years pay as severance. Pretty standard stuff. Smart deal. Bills had no choice as ANY incoming guy would have required the same kind of contract language, given the riskiness of the job being one heartbeat away from getting blown up.. I've been saying for 3 years that no top guys, management coaches or players will come here until stable long term ownership was in place. Why do you think we've been stuck with the Jaurons, Gaileys and Marrones of the world, ? No top tier guy wanted or needed to take the risk.

You are NUTS to lay this at Brandon's feet. he had no choice. no one was taking this job without some protection of this kind. this is standard stuff in the business world when the incoming executive has all the leverage (which was the case here) given the likelihood of RWS near term demise. Good job Marrone and team. You protected yourself against the likely scenario of Pegula replacing the coaching staff. Since Pegs did not extend Marrone after a pretty good season when Marrone asked for it, you can be pretty sure Pegs was at a minimum leaning towards not keeping Marrone after next season. So Marrone pulled the trigger , took his 1 year severance payment while there were still 5 NFL HC jobs open.

Not sure Marrone had much of a choice. Pegs buying the team pretty much ensured this was going to happen one way or another. Pegs had his shot to make him his long term coach. He passed. That's his perogative. Marrone simply protected himself and his family from a very likely scenario. Smart.

Edited by 8and8Forever

I'll start by admitting that I haven't always been the biggest fan of Coach Marrone's. I love the intensity he brings to his job and his enthusiasm for the game, but sometimes his weakness at managing the play clock and pace of the game goes beyond the pale (see: punting on fourth and one, not calling a timeout when special teams took the field against the Chiefs offense, etc.).

That said, it seems he really has the Bills by the horns right now with this opt-out clause. He can use his leverage to demand a contract extension from the new regime - whatever your opinion is of Marrone, I think everyone agrees that you don't get a contract extension for peaking at 9-7 and a game out of the playoffs.

Ultimately, the fault for this situation has to lie with Brandon, as he was overseeing the football operations during the final years of Ralph's tenure, and could have held strong on offering a three-year contract that didn't give away the Bills' bargaining power.

Whatever ends up happening in the next couple days with Marrone, Whaley, et al, it's now clearer than ever before for me that Pegula needs to completely divorce Brandon from the team's football operations. Let him handle the things he's good at - namely selling tickets and marketing the franchise - but his involvement in the football operations side of things has gone on far too long. Please stop letting him completely undermine the football side of things.

Agree 100%.

Brandon looks the part of a fool for giving Marrone that type of out clause. The self proclaimed marketing genius should have taken a few classes in finance and accounting.

Whoever wrote this deal may face some heat from the new owners. To let a contract be stipulated to put a new owner in this position was foolish.

If this was Whaley I am concerned, if this was Brandon I am furious.

It was Overdorf with Brandon's OK.

And it's boiler plate when it's expected a change in ownership may occur during the life of the initial term. Smart of Marrone's agent to include that clause. Not necessarily dumb for the Bills to be OK with it at the time, either. This clause shouldn't have been a deal breaker if Marrone is the guy they wanted, anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

And it's boiler plate when it's expected a change in ownership may occur during the life of the initial term. Smart of Marrone's agent to include that clause. Not necessarily dumb for the Bills to be OK with it at the time, either. This clause shouldn't have been a deal breaker if Marrone is the guy they wanted, anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

understood and accepted but it does not make it the smart choice. especially that he keeps his money and walks.

the most disappointing aspect of all of this is that i really wanted him here until next year then see where we stand. i think we needed him one more year to help get to where we are going.

understood and accepted but it does not make it the smart choice. especially that he keeps his money and walks.

the most disappointing aspect of all of this is that i really wanted him here until next year then see where we stand. i think we needed him one more year to help get to where we are going.

fair enough, but you cannot expect Marrone to take that kind of risk with a new owner... he had all the cards when he negotiated his contract b/c ownership could have changed at any time.

Keeping the money doesn't have any bearing. Nobody is stupid here.

If the reports are true that Marrone sought to extend his deal and those of his assistants and Pegula nixed that idea, then it's pretty much as if Marrone was fired and he would have kept the money anyway.

I just don't see any villains here. It's how it was supposed to work in the event things unfolded this way.

GO BILLS!!!

I would have liked to have seen Marrone get one more year at this job. But I wasn't too high or low on him, so losing him isn't the best but we could always find a capable coach as long as Schwartz and the defense are still in place. Also Whaley is fully in charge so we no longer have to deal with a power struggle. Overall not having a power struggle between the GM And head coach is a good thing. Management and coaching needs to be on the same page.

GO BILLS!!!

What makes you think it's boilerplate for coach contracts - can you even think of one analogous situation? Did Singletary have it in SF when York took over? Sparano in Miami when Ross took over? Spagnuolo in SL when Kroenke came over?

Keeping the money doesn't have any bearing. Nobody is stupid here.

If the reports are true that Marrone sought to extend his deal and those of his assistants and Pegula nixed that idea, then it's pretty much as if Marrone was fired and he would have kept the money anyway.

I just don't see any villains here. It's how it was supposed to work in the event things unfolded this way.

GO BILLS!!!

Absolutely. Thanks for your insight, K-9. I don't think that clause is a bad thing at all. Coaches really don't get paid what they deserve. They leave with money all the time when fired. The Bills were in a unique situation. No villains.

What makes you think it's boilerplate for coach contracts - can you even think of one analogous situation? Did Singletary have it in SF when York took over? Sparano in Miami when Ross took over? Spagnuolo in SL when Kroenke came over?

When the owner is 90+ and a new one may come within three years.