EJ Manuel. Our next star quarterback

too many people get their kicks from calling our QB garbage. The one thing I'll say for EJ, and this is despite his many struggles, is that you do not see him give up on a play and turtle up. You will not see him slide short of a makeable first down. The kid may not have it - or whatever he had may have been coached out of him. But he does want it.

He runs out of bounds to avoid a hit and takes the sack by doing so...

Edited by Mr. WEO

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as we're stating platitudes about FSU QBs, name for me all those that have been successful in the NFL.

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.

Look at the Qb's taken over the last 10 years and you can say the same thing for just about every college. Just sayin'. http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

really punishment go sit on the bench, is that like go to your room, best thing that could happen for Manuel is a change of scenery

In your comparison, you wouldn't send your kid to his room. You would kick him out of the house. "Go live with your Grandparents, Kid. I can't take you no more!".

With future pro bowler Cyrus Kouandijo protecting his blindside. Get lost. If EJ had any potential even as a marginal starter, they would have left him in after a 2-2 start. At the least, he would have played a half at NE. There's a long list of good college QB's that just couldn't make it in the NFL. EJ is on that list.

A kid cannot become the starting quarterback at Florida State without God-given ability. He has huge potential. He was not afforded the learning curve of most first year quarterbacks. Check out the stats of Elway, Manning, Aikman as rookies. Aikman was 1-15, right? Our quarterback rose to the top of the college ranks. He was MVP of the Senior Bowl. That's where I first noticed him. He threw a TD pass to somebody, and I thought, man, this kid is a natural.

So we trade out of #8, pick up Manuel and Kiko, and EJ is thrust into the starting role on a young growing team. He struggled, but he had some really good games. The second year he had us at .500. He had a rough game against Houston and that crazy MVP candidate JJ Watt. Who didn't struggle against that guy? Marrone pulled him, and turned it over to Kyle. He gave us the best chance to win. And we finished 9-7.

EJ got to watch this all happen from a great vantage point. And I think he was humbled by the whole thing. Did he lose his athletic ability? His intelligence? His determination? No. If anything, he has developed a major chip on his shoulder.

Look at that video. He has the goods.

I am not giving up on EJ Manuel. I think he's ready to become a star.

No wonder this franchise is still stuck, we have had personnel people that are as wrong as you are about QB's. He backed up Christian Freaking Ponder, was average in College ,then the next year a freshman takes the same team and wins a national title.

EJ does not have it and never will. If this franchise doesn't wake up to this fact and go out and get us a guy who can really QB this team to the playoffs and beyond, the franchise stays stuck spinning its wheels. I would like to think the new owner would step in and clean house before that happens.

No wonder this franchise is still stuck, we have had personnel people that are as wrong as you are about QB's. He backed up Christian Freaking Ponder, was average in College ,then the next year a freshman takes the same team and wins a national title.

EJ does not have it and never will. If this franchise doesn't wake up to this fact and go out and get us a guy who can really QB this team to the playoffs and beyond, the franchise stays stuck spinning its wheels. I would like to think the new owner would step in and clean house before that happens.

OK, help us out here. Who do you want us to pick up or draft? It's a hell of a lot easier to complain about it than to come up with someone. Who is this QB you are talking about? And how do you suggest we make this move? If you can pick him, make the move to get him and sign him, there's a lot of teams out there that can use your help. http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

Everyone can argue whether EJ has it or not until they are blue in the face. The bottom line is that he was never given a fair chance to improve. He had an injury plagued rookie season, and got yanked for Kyle Orton in week 5. Can we honestly say that Orton gave us anything that EJ could not have? Judging from what I saw out of Kyle Orton I absolutely must believe that the coaching staff prefers to play a very safe and conservative offense. Its not like the offense was opened up at all once Orton came in the game. BELIEVE ME I AM NOT AN EJ SUPPORTER AT ALL! However, there is no chance that we have seen this guy's full potential. Whether it is in Buffalo or elsewhere. The most selfish, stubborn, and idiotic move of the season was not starting him in week 17 and then having Kyle Orton basically laugh at you on his way out the door that night. I would have loved to see EJ go balls to the wall in week 17 with no care in the world and no handcuffs from Hackett/Marrone. Instead we ran clock for two quarters of a meaningless game vs Patriots backups. Game did nothing for anyone.

As unimpressive as EJ was this year (including his dreadful preseason), he might just be our best hope. There is not going to be a Brees or Manning available in the trade or FA market and the draft does not look to have great depth at QB. EJ has a lot of physical talent and can be accurate and careful with the football. He probably still has more upside than anyone else we are likely to acquire in the offseason.

The problem is that it seems like EJ is dead to Marrone. I just have the feeling Marrone has written EJ off for some reason and that he might not get another chance here. It might be part of the power struggle with Whaley, or something we aren't privy to. Anyway, unless the offensive line is fixed and Hackett is shown the door, it probably doesn't matter who our QB is.

The offensive line is not as bad as it would seem. Henderson, Glenn, and Wood are all solid pieces to build on. The problem is the predictable play calling, and lack of quarterback play that caused the oline to look so bad this year. Fred and CJ's injuries also took a toll on the running game. The oline gets way too much blame for this team. Orton was a 32 year old quarterback that looked like he was 52. Slowest QB since Bledsoe. Always held the ball too long, and only threw the ball in obvious passing situations where the defense could pin their ears back. Bring in Marc Trestman or some kind of real offensive mind and you watch how all of a sudden this becomes a "competent oline"

OK, help us out here. Who do you want us to pick up or draft? It's a hell of a lot easier to complain about it than to come up with someone. Who is this QB you are talking about? And how do you suggest we make this move? If you can pick him, make the move to get him and sign him, there's a lot of teams out there that can use your help. http://www.nfl.com/d...t?type=position

::crickets::

Reading comprehension is hard.

I'd say, not trying to be a prick here, but the failure in reading comprehension lies in your post about "platitudes about FSU QBs"

OP merely said starting at FSU equates to God given ability, nothing about how material this generalized ability is to NFL qb success.

It is sort of a baseline, not a blanket qualifier at the pro level.

For that reason it's a perfectly acceptable generalization. Because in fact one must have inherent athletic ability/talent to play qb for a collegiate program such as FSU.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Everyone can argue whether EJ has it or not until they are blue in the face. The bottom line is that he was never given a fair chance to improve. He had an injury plagued rookie season, and got yanked for Kyle Orton in week 5. Can we honestly say that Orton gave us anything that EJ could not have? Judging from what I saw out of Kyle Orton I absolutely must believe that the coaching staff prefers to play a very safe and conservative offense. Its not like the offense was opened up at all once Orton came in the game. BELIEVE ME I AM NOT AN EJ SUPPORTER AT ALL! However, there is no chance that we have seen this guy's full potential. Whether it is in Buffalo or elsewhere. The most selfish, stubborn, and idiotic move of the season was not starting him in week 17 and then having Kyle Orton basically laugh at you on his way out the door that night. I would have loved to see EJ go balls to the wall in week 17 with no care in the world and no handcuffs from Hackett/Marrone. Instead we ran clock for two quarters of a meaningless game vs Patriots backups. Game did nothing for anyone.

The offensive line is not as bad as it would seem. Henderson, Glenn, and Wood are all solid pieces to build on. The problem is the predictable play calling, and lack of quarterback play that caused the oline to look so bad this year. Fred and CJ's injuries also took a toll on the running game. The oline gets way too much blame for this team. Orton was a 32 year old quarterback that looked like he was 52. Slowest QB since Bledsoe. Always held the ball too long, and only threw the ball in obvious passing situations where the defense could pin their ears back. Bring in Marc Trestman or some kind of real offensive mind and you watch how all of a sudden this becomes a "competent oline"

Observations here are all noteworthy. If you remember back over the first 4 games, EJ made some very good throws on the way to thrashing the Dolphins who later kicked the bills tail and also led a win over the Bears with two 90+ passer rating days.

Then the Chargers came to town and completely exposed the garbage play of theo line by throwing stunts left and right and EJ started to struggle.

The Texans then stunted even more and jj watt absolutely abused Richardson all day long.

I very much agree that Manual might still have a bright future ahead of him. It's almost 100% between the ears with game speed, timing and the game slowing down for him. If he pull it all together he could still be a good starter in the league. I just don't know if anyone anywhere in the NFL knows how to make that assessment with out live fire...

Look at the depth chart and remove Orton.

I inderstand, I really do. Lol. I guess my one word remark was a bad choice of word. So yea Ej is now the starter in a mythical off season Bills world without a vet QB(yet).

if it makes the people happy to think EJ today after the season ended is the starter until next September when it begins with a starter not named Manuel. Well thats awesome. Positive thinking is great.

I should think more like that. it will Give me hope that my dream date Kate Beckinsale will be dating me after she dumps her loser husband ( or he retires) and before she finds another rich douche. in other words it ain't happening.

I Like EJ he has a great personality................ Knows how to run out of bounds, And can throw a dirt ball every bit as good as Fitz did. (See Tampa game 2013) he Seems to be a team player, but reading between the lines of yesterdays presser, it is possible OBD is figuring out he is just not a starting NFL QB. never will be. As hard as he tries, he does not have it. Kind of like his coach.

The magician everyone loves here Bill Polian indicated that on ESPN the night he was drafted. His jaw hit the ground at the bills #16 pick. His Remarks were not positive. if PoLian is hired even as a temp consultant I expect EJ firmly the teams #2 until his rook contract expires. I wish the kid luck and hope he invests well. he tried his best.

Happy New Years All & lets hope for even better things in 15 for the Bills.

Edited by Best Player Available

I can hope for EJ to succeed until I'm blue in the face but the facts are what they are: he regressed this season. And it's not like he regressed from a great rookie season - he regressed from an average (at best) rookie season.

Most concerning to me is that ever after being benched this season, there were multiple games later in the season where the organization could've made him the starter again b/c Orton was playing pretty crappy yet that didn't happen b/c the organization (i.e. Marrone) still felt Orton gave us a better chance to win. Yes, a crappy Orton gave us a better chance to win than EJ according to the HC. How much god-given talent can he possibly have then?

Either that or Marrone was completely wrong on EJ. But EJ is Marrone's QB. They came here together. It would be in Marrone's best interest to have EJ succeed. Yet obviously Marrone didn't see it in EJ this season. Very telling, IMO.

I understand your point and sure, we would all love for EJ to blossom into a great QB. My point is that I think this is extremely unlikely to happen, and therefore I would like a better plan for QB next year.

Though I fully agree it is very unlikely to happen, I think that there would still be more chance of it happening than finding our QB of the future through FA/draft.

I am not your typical "doomed" type fan but in this instance I just shake my head thinking "what a waste (of a great Defense)."

NO.

The best thing that ever happened to this franchise in 15 years was when Doug Marrone refused to let a garbage QB run an entire franchise into the ground. If we cut EJ, he might get picked up here and there, but there is no doubt he'll never start for another team barring injury.

I agree HDC. I have posted this comment before, and after today I still think that the front office will try and swap a player for player deal, or work out some kind of trade offer with EJ in the off season. Perhaps a package deal, just so they can move on and "save face"

In addition, the media and several posters here claim Marrone is too stubborn for his own good and once again, I do agree with that. However; His coaching style IMO is working, regardless of his ego. It was obvious that Marrone needed a wheel barrow to carry around his nuts in after he benched EJ and with good reason, a reason that you so descriptively mentioned HDC.

And unlike the fans, Marrone got to see EJ every day in practice and I'm quite sure that it wasn't pretty. Probabley like dropping the F-bomb in church.pretty.

Polian knew and still knows, the coaches know, and for the love of Pete, some of the fans know. But for the fans who don't know please pardon the pun, but this team with Manuel at the helm is a 24 hour plane crash.

Chan Gailey cut ties with Trent Edwards and Doug Marrone, if he remains the coach will cut ties with EJ Manuel, Both QB's are good men and great athletes but their performances on the field were a mirror image of each other and unfortunately their un-doing.

EJ was picked to be the next great read/option QB that could keep plays alive with his legs and strong arm. Marrone was gonna install Hackett's hybrid K-gun/WCO offense, and the O was gonna run the D this way and that, and when the smoke cleared - we'd be up 2 or 3 scores before the half.

then reality set in.

the game's too fast for the kid QB and his receivers.. they're running routes like they we in the street, and EJ has no clue where to go with the ball.

then he gets hurt.

and then returns to the same issues he left Lewis and Tuel to deal with.

so now it's time to dumb it all down.. slow things up even more.. tie EJ's footwork together with the routes, coach him up to understand what looks the D is giving him, and hope the combination of knowing who is #1 and #2 are, and the mechanics of both QB and receivers result in him getting the ball out in a timely fashion.

doesn't work.

EJ makes poor choices.. receivers run too many sloppy routes.. and the wonder boy OC can't get into his playbook.

the kid never ran a timed passing game in college.. i read some of the articles coming out FSU from their beat writers, their fan base, and their coach regarding what they could, and couldn't run with EJ. this offense would have to be reworked into that vertical Erhardt/Perkins offense another TBDer posted a while back.. i think the Steelers still use that as their offensive philosophy.. maybe whaley was hoping to see some big Ben's excapability in EJ.. i dunno - but he never had the skill set to run what they have now.. it's too complex.. even if Hackett could get it oiled up everywhere else - the QB has to deliver the ball on time to those horizontal routes intended to stretch things wide for vertical options..

Downing should take him to a small clearing in the woods - put three grad assistants at various distances from him - in the trees, but not hidden - all within 90 degrees of each other - tell him to chop out a couple 360s - and depending on if he shouts 'short', 'half' or 'long' - he's gotta find the right kid and zip it in to him. just an old-timey drill to simulate lateral motion and gaining focus. don't laugh (too load :D ) using the woods was always a good place to drill QBs and receivers.. George Sauer, Jr swore it gave him the coordination needed to catch balls in traffic later in life.

If your QB starts from day 1 you can't coach him to not take the risky throw. If you have to do that then he should be sitting and learning. I think it was the plan til he outperformed Kolb.

Then they had no choice. But gave him a crap oline and no running game.

The recipe for disaster for a young QB.

I'm willing to give him a shot. But it better be with a Foles or Nassib or Derek Anderson or Matt Moore and the rookie we're sure to draft.

My draft will look something like:

QB/Center/Guard/QB/Guard/RB/Guard

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Nassib has never been mentioned on any other NFL teams forums as a potential starting QB, maybe including the Giants. Are you seriously willing to consider him as a starter for us next season?