QB search.....no trust in Whaley to get it right

rcatty

Now we are really in a hole. We have no first round pick, and Whaley has shown he can't be trusted on choosing/finding a QB. The only solution might be to find the best consultant type scout(s) out there, and task them with the sole objective of identifying viable candidates. One can't leave this to our scouting department alone.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we are really in a hole. We have no first round pick, and Whaley has shown he can't be trusted on choosing/finding a QB. The only solution might be to find the best consultant type scout(s) out there, and task them with the sole objective of identifying viable candidates. One can't leave this to our scouting department alone.

So basically in your expert opinion, we shouldn't have a scouting department and it's a waste to pay them to do THEIR JOB? Whaley hasn't shown he can't be trusted on choosing/finding a QB. Plenty of well established GM's have swung and missed when it comes to finding a QB.

Give me a break.

So basically in your expert opinion, we shouldn't have a scouting department and it's a waste to pay them to do THEIR JOB? Whaley hasn't shown he can't be trusted on choosing/finding a QB. Plenty of well established GM's have swung and missed when it comes to finding a QB.

Give me a break.

Exactly. Whaley is actually doing a great job in my opinion. He traded back and got the QB they wanted in EJ (while adding Woods or Kiko can't remember which one), hasn't worked out so far for EJ. They brought in Orton, he retired. They brought in Lewis, Tuel, Flynn, Palmer, Kolb and others I'm surely forgetting. The point is, they are bringing in everyone and anyone to try and get it right. It's damn hard to find a great QB but Whaley has shown me that he willing to put in the work and effort to do it, it's just a matter of hitting on one of these guys. It's like you guys think that great QBs grow on trees or are easily acquired from other teams, they are not.

The only guy that they missed on who would have been a great fit is Alex Smith, but who knows if he had any desire at all to even come here. I certainly would have rather gone to Andy Reid and the Chiefs over a struggling franchise with a new head coach with zero NFL experience and an ownership / future in limbo like we had at the time.

Edited by Mark80

Just curious, but in Whaleys tenure as GM, what QB did he whiff on? As in what should have been the decision. I know Geno had a career day yesterday, but Manuel might be the best QB in his draft class. Doesn't mean he will be the guy, but he is the only one with hope at this point. So the guy drafts the best QB in the class, and is untrustworthy. What available FA's and QBs did the franchise miss out on?

The complaining without a reasonable solution needs to stop.

Everyone talks about no first round pick at 19. Is this a QB rich draft? Who would we get at 19?

Just curious, but in Whaleys tenure as GM, what QB did he whiff on? As in what should have been the decision. I know Geno had a career day yesterday, but Manuel might be the best QB in his draft class. Doesn't mean he will be the guy, but he is the only one with hope at this point. So the guy drafts the best QB in the class, and is untrustworthy. What available FA's and QBs did the franchise miss out on?

What are you talking about? EJ has played in like 12 games already. Didn't you hear that he missed on open receiver?

Edited by 4merper4mer

Pretty much any QB someone sees completing a pass we "whiffed" on. :doh:

My priorities:

- Focus on the offensive line

- Develop a competent running game (either the OL upgrade, new run scheme, new backs, or some combination)

- Pick up a vet QB to compete with EJ during the early off/pre-season

- Likely ride EJ for better or worse, hope an improved line and run game, combined with strong defense, takes pressure off him.

Go into 2016 probably looking at a first round QB draft pick again.

Edited by Dorkington

My priorities:

- Focus on the offensive line

- Develop a competent running game (either the OL upgrade, new run scheme, new backs, or some combination)

- Pick up a vet QB to compete with EJ during the early pre-season

- Likely ride EJ for better or worse, hope an improved line and run game, combined with strong defense, takes pressure off him.

Go into 2016 probably looking at a first round QB draft pick again.

Hell no. EJ is crap and NEVER should have been drafted by Buffalo to be a starter. Some guys regardless of hype or where drafted are not ever meant to be starting QB's in the NFL....EJ is one of them

Hell no. EJ is crap and NEVER should have been drafted by Buffalo to be a starter. Some guys regardless of hype or where drafted are not ever meant to be starting QB's in the NFL....EJ is one of them

I doubt anyone who is available to us is better than EJ right now, and EJ has the most familiarity with our offense. The idea is to bring in competition, and EJ to show his superiority via familiarity and development. If he doesn't, then said vet FA pickup starts, and we stay mediocre. You're way too passionate about EJ being a failure, when the book has not been written on him yet. It's not like he's a dumpster fire.

As of now, we don't know what we have in EJ. I know a lot of people think they know, but they don't. Erase last season, and erase the first four weeks of this season. EJ finally was "allowed" to sit behind a veteran QB and learn what it means to play the position as a professional -- which Whaley and Marrone would probably say was the goal all along. Don't discount that. He'll get his chance to compete next season, and they'll find one or two more guys to bring in. You can bet they'll take a flyer with a draft pick as well.

Why didn't they start EJ yesterday? Because they really did want to win that game. Finishing 2nd, going 4-2 in the division, going .500 on the road, beating NE* -- these are all legitimate building blocks. Kyle Williams made it a point to tell his teammates this is the first time he'll leave for the offseason with a winning record. It's not inconsequential to anyone other than idiot local sportswriters and naive fans.

The biggest offseason priority to me is for the organization to conduct a a top-to-bottom assessment of the offensive strategy and personnel, and do what's needed to fix the OL.

Watkins/Woods could be an absolutely dynamic combo at WR for the next 7-8 years. Build around that. And whatever you do, keep this defense together.

Yes, Whaley is horrible. Why he just doesn't bring his checkbook to the QB Store and get an All Pro once and for all is beyond me.

Unfortunately, getting it wrong on a 1st round QB is a fatal mistake for a GM in the NFL. Not picking EJ means we could've had Carr this year, who I think could become a franchise QB. Trading up for Sammy looks like a bad move when you consider how deep the WR talent was in last year's draft. Koundjio looks like a bust.

Unfortunately, getting it wrong on a 1st round QB is a fatal mistake for a GM in the NFL. Not picking EJ means we could've had Carr this year, who I think could become a franchise QB. Trading up for Sammy looks like a bad move when you consider how deep the WR talent was in last year's draft. Koundjio looks like a bust.

This is at least a sound solution. Thanks for not just posting a doom and gloom assessment. My first thought while posting above was Carr is really the answer here. But regardless of liking or not liking the Watkins trade, we would have a major whole in our WR corps.