Orton Retires (per twitter)

JimBob2232

Okay .. I admit that all of what I wrote was a tad harsh.

I will say this in seriousness, however ... I believe that the Bills would have at least 9, possibly 10, wins had EJ never gotten benched.

I agreed with the decision to bench him then; and I still think it was a good idea for his long-term development.

But I do not believe for one second that Orton made the offense better. And I do think he was terrible in most of the games he played in a Bills uniform.

I'm ecstatic that the Bills won yesterday; I think that first quarter was great football. But I don't think for one second that Orton was good yesterday; I thought he was horrible. Again. And the defense/special teams won the game. Again. That happens a lot in the NFL and I'll take a win no matter which part of the team is mostly responsible.

But I'm not going to sit here and "thank" Orton for doing such a great job, because the fact is that he stunk for the majority of the time he was on the field.

I can only hope that his short tenure did something for EJ. Because I do believe that EJ is the future of this team.

Excellent post! I agree with a lot of this particularly the EJ part.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure do... Orton ranks

QBR: 25th in the league

Yards: 22nd

ypa: 30th

rating: 19th

tds: 19th

ypg: 16th

To me that is lower than league average that is bottom of the league...

thats because you dont take into consideration that they were done with no camp and only 12 games. he wouldve ended up at around 12th in yards and 12th in tds in a full season

Okay .. I admit that all of what I wrote was a tad harsh.

I will say this in seriousness, however ... I believe that the Bills would have at least 9, possibly 10, wins had EJ never gotten benched.

I agreed with the decision to bench him then; and I still think it was a good idea for his long-term development.

But I do not believe for one second that Orton made the offense better. And I do think he was terrible in most of the games he played in a Bills uniform.

I'm ecstatic that the Bills won yesterday; I think that first quarter was great football. But I don't think for one second that Orton was good yesterday; I thought he was horrible. Again. And the defense/special teams won the game. Again. That happens a lot in the NFL and I'll take a win no matter which part of the team is mostly responsible.

But I'm not going to sit here and "thank" Orton for doing such a great job, because the fact is that he stunk for the majority of the time he was on the field.

I can only hope that his short tenure did something for EJ. Because I do believe that EJ is the future of this team.

Actually he did and I love how you conveinetly have a mental block on the 2 game losing streak we were on when he first took over

I like how most of u people blame Orton for not winning some games. There no I in team. So please stop talking out of your ass.

QB is the MOST important and impactful position in TEAM SPORTS, by far. The only one that comes close is a goalie in hockey, and a decent goalie is much easier to find than a decent QB.

If you are unclear about that, take a look at the last 25 SuperBowl champions and the teams they beat and you'll find something close to 95% had franchise caliber QB's under center.

Ask yourself who was the Bills QB's for their only championship seasons and only Super Bowl appearances.

Take a look at the 12 QB's on the 12 playoff teams this year. Brady, Roethlisberger, Dalton, Flacco, Luck, Manning, Romo, Stafford, Rodgers, Wilson, Newton, Lindley -- 11 out of 12.

There is no I in TEAM but their should be a competent "QB" in it.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Probably making EJ work harder than he ever has in his life might make him a better player. Maybe thats what Marrone was/ is going for. Hope he can pull it together and be a successful player for us.

I bashed the crap out of Orton all season, feel kinda bad about that.

Good luck, Kyle

Edited by mastershake

Sure do... Orton ranks

QBR: 25th in the league

Yards: 22nd

ypa: 30th

rating: 19th

tds: 19th

ypg: 16th

Don't you have to weight Yards, TDs, for 14 games?

16th in yards per game seems like he is right in the middle of the road.

QB is the MOST important and impactful position in TEAM SPORTS, by far. The only one that comes close is a goalie in hockey, and a decent goalie is much easier to find than a decent QB.

If you are unclear about that, take a look at the last 25 SuperBowl champions and the teams they beat and you'll find something close to 95% had franchise caliber QB's under center.

Ask yourself who was the Bills QB's for their only championship seasons and only Super Bowl appearances.

Take a look at the 12 QB's on the 12 playoff teams this year. Brady, Roethlisberger, Dalton, Flacco, Luck, Manning, Romo, Stafford, Rodgers, Wilson, Newton, Lindley -- 11 out of 12.

There is no I in TEAM but their should be a competent "QB" in it.

How many of those teams have NO Oline ? starting wideouts that are 21 and 22 yrs old ,and no running game ?

You want Orton to provide results equal to those qbs in situations that none of those qbs are close to playing in .

DENIAL..

Don't you have to weight Yards, TDs, for 14 games?

16th in yards per game seems like he is right in the middle of the road.

It would be for 12 games so I will extrapolate out the extra 4 games.

yards he would move up to 14th.

tds he would move to 13th

ints he would go from 20th to tied for 11th (higher number is a bad thing)

As I have said he is a below average starter. Not the worst in the league but nobody I would plan on winning anything such as a playoff game with. Also keep in mind this ended as statistically about the 2nd best season of Orton's career. So this subpar production was about the best we could hope for from him.

Hopefully his true value this year lies in showing EJ how to be a professional qb. The 9-7 was fantastic and the most fun I have had in a long time rooting for this team. That said I am not sad that we are moving on from him.

if only orton would unretire and put this team on his back some more.

He didnt put the team on his back but lets stop talking like dude landed in qb heaven and screwed it up

It would be for 12 games so I will extrapolate out the extra 4 games.

yards he would move up to 14th.

tds he would move to 13th

ints he would go from 20th to tied for 11th (higher number is a bad thing)

As I have said he is a below average starter. Not the worst in the league but nobody I would plan on winning anything such as a playoff game with. Also keep in mind this ended as statistically about the 2nd best season of Orton's career. So this subpar production was about the best we could hope for from him.

Hopefully his true value this year lies in showing EJ how to be a professional qb. The 9-7 was fantastic and the most fun I have had in a long time rooting for this team. That said I am not sad that we are moving on from him.

actually you said

but his play was nowhere close to bottom of the league . So he stepped in with no training camp ,no Oline ,young wideouts ,no running game becomes the Bills all time leader in completion percentage and now somehow its the best we can expect from him ?

IMO Orton came into too Buffalo a career .500 QB. Why are the people so happy too see him leave & dumping on him? he actually had a winning season despite a OC that is completely lost,Two starting backs injured for part of the season or should we just admit an ineffectual running game for the entire season. Oh, and one of the worst O-lines in the NFL.

Was he the answer? Eff no. But he was the best QB since Flutie and the still honored fritztragic. yea, he slid when he should of got a first down. Nowhere near the incompetency of running out of bounds on 4th down at the end of a game. That "QB" was named Trent Edwards.

No way the Bills end up with a winning season with Manuel. Truth probably is Whaley, Brandon, Maroon, and Hackett all would have been fired this AM if Manuel would have stayed in for the season. Most forget Manuel needs a 6 foot circle on the broadside of a barn to even hit the barn. And,of course the usual suspect(s) blames the fans believing Orton read the BN and TSW and decided too much drama.LOL really the idiocy of crusading sometimes gets really tiresome reading.

orton was who he was, a stop gap. And playing in a rudderless offense. Which unless dramatic coaching changes are made will be the same next year, with another middle of the road vet tossed in who may or may not why do as well. Whaley keeps his job. because signing Orton on the eve of opening day is what a clueless GM does when he realizes his first rounder in year 2 blows. There is nor was a QB on the roster with even close to Ortons very limited credentials.

Sure Orton grabbed a quick 5 million and retired, he also won more games than he lost. Was by far the best option put there. he earned every penny, unlike Chris Williams, etc. Other examples of Whaley's scouting and lack of football instincts.

Also, a big shout out to #94 who actually played all 16 games this year. Instead of dialing in a few which has always been his MO. I for one appreciated that, and the whole defensive unit for playing with heart for the entire season.

Best of luck too Orton he earned his chump paychecks, and for the fans who are into stats? Take a look at the "franchise" QB's he played better than. Some real interesting names on that list.

The purge needs to begin at OBD. The stink on the deck is as bad as ever.

I actually didn't see this coming, but maybe it's a good thing. We're probably going after Bradford or Cutler in the offseason. I think either one would be a significant upgrade from EJ. Need to sign a couple guards first, though.

Can you imagine Culter behind this line!?!?!? I can't. If this team even thinks about getting Cutler I'm finished for a while...

IMO Orton came into too Buffalo a career .500 QB. Why are the people so happy too see him leave & dumping on him? he actually had a winning season despite a OC that is completely lost,Two starting backs injured for part of the season or should we just admit an ineffectual running game for the entire season. Oh, and one of the worst O-lines in the NFL.

Was he the answer? Eff no. But he was the best QB since Flutie and the still honored fritztragic. yea, he slid when he should of got a first down. Nowhere near the incompetency of running out of bounds on 4th down at the end of a game. That "QB" was named Trent Edwards.

To be fair, that occurred when the Bills were losing 34-7 with less than a minute to go. Gutless, to be sure, but the game was completely over when it happened.

He didnt put the team on his back but lets stop talking like dude landed in qb heaven and screwed it up

actually you said

but his play was nowhere close to bottom of the league . So he stepped in with no training camp ,no Oline ,young wideouts ,no running game becomes the Bills all time leader in completion percentage and now somehow its the best we can expect from him ?

As I have said he is a below average starter.

They seem like the same thing. I also said in the post you quoted that he ranked somewhere around 19-23 imo. That is bottom of the league and below average. Do you really want to argue semantics here or can we agree that Orton just isn't that good. Not the worst, not the best, and certainly nobody that can lead you to the super bowl.

And all time Bills leader in completion %?! come on man. 64.2 percent while averaging a 30th ranked in the league ypa is something to hang your hat on?

To be fair, that occurred when the Bills were losing 34-7 with less than a minute to go. Gutless, to be sure, but the game was completely over when it happened.

The team wasn't taking a knee, so neither should he have been, end of story.

As for Orton, you people are talking past each other. Fact: we are objectively worse-off, right now, without Orton on the roster. Fact: Orton was not going to take us where we want to go. Both of those things are true.

It is possible he realized that he isn't that good at QB either.

Also Orton seemed to realize Nate Hacket's DIII offense was Dead on Arrival.

Marrone: "Thanks for coming in Kyle for our season ending meeting . . . "

Orton: "(takes a swig of his handle of Jack) Save it Moron, is little Natie getting **** canned today?"

Marrone:"Well obviously . . . we obviously struggled ... we need to assess ..."

Orton "Obviously STFU! Yes or No, is your little buddy getting shown the door?"

Marrone "No"

Orton "I retire. Good Luck Moron. (downs the rest of the handle and burps)"

Good for a little chuckle

The team wasn't taking a knee, so neither should he have been, end of story.

As for Orton, you people are talking past each other. Fact: we are objectively worse-off, right now, without Orton on the roster. Fact: Orton was not going to take us where we want to go. Both of those things are true.

Agreed. And the fact is now we see what our GM and front office is made of. Can they find a way to fill our QB needs? Only time will tell.