The running game

YoloinOhio

So... 13 yards total against the 25th ranked run D? Our RBs are not good enough, we need to draft one. Our OL is bad but come on, we need someone who is big, fast and can hit the hole. We don't have that guy. Is Bryce Brown going to be that guy next year? I really haven't seen it. Fred is back and we need him but he's not really that guy either, now. Dixon is good in short yardage but he's not that bell cow guy either. our passing offense is greatly hampered by the one dimensional aspect.

If we don't use a draft pick I hope they sign a UDFA. There are several out there who have made an impact like the Murray kid in Oakland. Oliver in SD, Crowell in Cleveland, etc.

Todd Gurley!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had more success running last year (though not great), where like 90% of our runs were read option. I think it is because running out of the read option doesn't require as much deception. And you can rely on holes opening due to defenders moving, or making mistakes.

good point. Orton came in and the read option went bye bye, rightfully so. But, our run game disappeared with it and our coaches have had zero answer for it.

Really? What would give you that idea? Not being sarcastic or a jerk, I just don't see it in him anymore.

The one where he looked like he was trying to square dance with the end? Before Mack and the End blew up the play or is that a run I am thinking of?

you apparently didn't sense my sarcasm

Nice try---this was not quite a coin flip prediction. I tried to show you exactly how it would go. You were stuck on 2 carries over 25 yards

Back off stat man. I root for the players on the team. Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, its no more complex than a guess or gut feeling most of the time.

What's really scary is that we have been trying to fix it, and it's become apparent that we simply can't. Last year it was Colin Brown and Legursky. This year, Chris Williams and three draft picks -- and the OL is getting worse.

And pretty much all this.

I'm going to make a gif of Urbik trying to block on that screen pass -- the play where he just whiffs and winds up doing pretty much nothing at all.

our offense was better under Gailey where urbick, pears and spiller were superstars.

We don't need to draft a RB. We've got 3 decent ones (Jackson, Dixon, Brown). Teams have productive run games w/ inferior talent. Our problem is we don't open holes. Our blockers, interior in particular, just don't cut it. Whether or not an improvement in "scheme" would help, IDK, but regardless, I seriously doubt the improvement would be substantial. When you need to run, it all comes down to your guy beating their guy & our guys don't seem to be able to do that as it's most obvious in short yardage situations.

We had more success running last year (though not great), where like 90% of our runs were read option. I think it is because running out of the read option doesn't require as much deception. And you can rely on holes opening due to defenders moving, or making mistakes.

We really should have signed Tebow then

I'm going to make a gif of Urbik trying to block on that screen pass -- the play where he just whiffs and winds up doing pretty much nothing at all.

Which one? There were about 5-10 to choose from. And not just Urbik. None of our screen passes worked because our O lineman whiffed on every single one.

Edited by Fred Jackson Jockstrap

i should have been more specific, my bad.

There are these guys, they normally wear numbers in the 20s or 30s. Their goal is to run forward with the ball.

I am confused. Can you define "forward"? It seems what ever direction they go could be "forward". This running game concept I find very perplexing. Sounds like it's probably a good thing though...

Your use of hyperbole is obscene.

You may not like the hyperbole, but he did a much better job of generating offense and covering up weaknesses. That's very hard to deny.

Well they were

I don't know if anyone can help his issues, as he was in college so he is now.

Marrone/Hack just dont seem to have a grasp on NFL offensive coaching. Watching Seattle v Arizona, two well coached teams and they just look so crisp, so fast. Theyre talent level isnt that much higher than the Bills, its gotta be coaching. A great coach would get stuff out of Manuel. Bet Arians would kill for Manuel right now.

Edited by mastershake

Spiller will be the last top 10 RB picked in the draft for 10 years. Gailey may have used him best, but he has looked bad more than good the past two years. He doesn't fit what the current staff wants to do.

Clearly, the front office knew we had O Line trouble, they just whiffed on the free agent pick up and the first two O lineman drafted.

The running game has been hard to watch. Which makes me question the long held thought of guards are easy to come by. They need to open up holes in the running game, pull and trap to make the running game more versatile, and block in space for screens and other aspects if a "short passing attack".

The guards we have struggle to do these things, and the running game has struggled along with it.

We litteraly cant run screens because our line is not capable of making a block in space! I havent seen an Olineman make a block on a screen all year