Reflection on stadium renovation

billsfan_34

Anyone who has served in the military knows that the boulders wont do much. Ive gone to different gates and had the same wait I guess im just unlucky. Totally agree on way too many ads on the big screen but they are definitely nice and need to be utilized better. There are some lots that are paved and some that are still gravel, but those lots were paved prior to the renovation. Yeah I dont think I can bring a sub in, I will stick to fillin my belly prior too.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, long time season ticket holder. The improvements were OK, not great. Like the easy lower bowl access. The scoreboards are great also. The store is OK, but we shopped at halftime of the Green Bay game....looking for whatever. No Large or Extra Large in the house, only small and medium. At 6'5'', I was shutout. they were just selling out the unmoved inventory. Of course, there were tons of Manuel jerseys unsold. ( Lots of non believers out there.) No Orton jerseys on sale...I wonder if we should read something into that? :rolleyes:

wrt to the stadium rest rooms, some typical stupidity in practice on them. Not remodeled inside, that was OK, but the entrance and exit scheme was screwed up big time. Used to be....two doors both enter and exit. Now, one labeled Entrance, one not labeled at all with no exterior handle to open. Used to be two large traffic jams at the doors.....now one HUGH traffic jam at the entrance....as everybody enters and leaves through the one door (almost) The exit not well marked on the inside, and the room half empty. No problem for me though, I stand at the unlabeled exit door until somebody comes out, and I use that door to enter, not entering the scrum at the other door.

All in all, they needed to upgrade the stadium....and it was a minimum attempt. I think the new lease and these upgrades played in the owner transition....and resulted in the Bills staying in Buffalo, so I am not going to gripe at all. Go Bills!!!

Edited by bigK14094

That great to know for next season thank you

fwiw, before this season I had no idea you could being in your own food. But this year I have seen 2 giant wegmans subs and a 30 bag of wings. Not sure if they were brought in legally or not. But they were brought in regardless and I wasn't under the impression they were smuggled in.

Personally. I still like the La Nova Chicken Fingers. They aren't amazing by any stretch. And they have a different labor to them but they aren't bad at all for stadium food. Beats a "boiled hot dog" that's for sure.

Edited by mrags

Something to think about in regards to the bathrooms.... For those of you who run into really long lines at the head during certain parts of the game such as half time:

Right outside my section there is a men's room that always has really, really long lines at certain points during the game it seems. I discovered that if you walk about 60 feet towards the tunnel end of the stadium, there is another men's room that never gets that busy. So, whenever there is a long line at the closest bathroom, I just walk the extra 20 steps or so and go to the much shorter one.

It looks like that other bathroom was a new addition to the stadium, might have been some kind of employee room or storage room last year. Now it is an extra bathroom. I never knew it was there, I just happened to discover it one time when the other line was really long. The rest of the season I was glad that few of my fellow fans had realized that bathroom existed. My advice is to explore the stadium some more if you are dealing with long bathroom lines. You just might discover that there is another bathroom really close to you that has a small fraction of the line that the other one does.

fwiw, before this season I had no idea you could being in your own food. But this year I have seen 2 giant wegmans subs and a 30 bag of wings. Not sure if they were brought in legally or not. But they were brought in regardless and I wasn't under the impression they were smuggled in.

They didn't have to smuggle them in. Security doesn't care.

We bring in food from time to time. No big deal. Just make sure it is obvious for the security people to see exactly that it really is food and you are not trying to smuggle in booze or beer. Clear bags, clear plastic wrap, etc..

Something to think about in regards to the bathrooms.... For those of you who run into really long lines at the head during certain parts of the game such as half time:

Right outside my section there is a men's room that always has really, really long lines at certain points during the game it seems. I discovered that if you walk about 60 feet towards the tunnel end of the stadium, there is another men's room that never gets that busy. So, whenever there is a long line at the closest bathroom, I just walk the extra 20 steps or so and go to the much shorter one.

It looks like that other bathroom was a new addition to the stadium, might have been some kind of employee room or storage room last year. Now it is an extra bathroom. I never knew it was there, I just happened to discover it one time when the other line was really long. The rest of the season I was glad that few of my fellow fans had realized that bathroom existed. My advice is to explore the stadium some more if you are dealing with long bathroom lines. You just might discover that there is another bathroom really close to you that has a small fraction of the line that the other one does.

that's the biggest thing. Changes have happened. Things will be different. Just because the bathroom you've been going to for the last 12 years isn't the same anymore and there's a huge wait, there's another just around the corner that no one knows about. They now have a bathroom right outside my section that I went to just as halftime kicked off and waited no more than 10 seconds to go. Loterally walked in, walked right up to a urinal where there was some guy finishing up and went. It seriously took longer to wash my hands.

A few games ago I remeber there being just under 4 minutes until the end of the half. I left my seat, made it to the bathroom, took a leak, washed my hands, and made it back to my seat prior to kickoff. For halftime, that's insane.

People just need to take a trip around their area and see what changes have been done around them and figure out their best plan of attack. I did it on opening day in the preseason. Walked around the entire stadium. Took it all in.

I'm not saying the OP or anyone else is guilty of this. But people really would benefit from getting up and walking around a little to see all the changes before stating they don't notice them they aren't enough of a difference to them. If you stick only to your seats/section/gates, you may not be happy because they effected you negatively or not at all. But that doesn't mean changes aren't there.

Agree completely.

But the worst aspect is actually leaving the stadium with less gates. There used to be 2 separate flows of traffic on either side of the fence and now the sunny side is totally enclosed. It's like a tidal wave of civilly engineered douchebags trying to escape thru a fraction of the exits of the past There is going to be a point where fans start expecting the team to win and they will lose a highly charged game and some fights will be breaking out over people crashing into each other leaving.

As for you.....learn how to tailgate son. Anybody who leaves their tailgate and needs to get a pretzel or a boiled frickin hotdog the moment they walk in is a tailgating failure. :lol:

FAILURE. :thumbdown:

34 is right, the gates take longer to get in than before...though they are more orderly.....and that fits well with getting people to come in early and drop an extra wad of bills on food they normally wouldn't waste any of the alotted 10K of calories on at a good tailgate.

I don't understand how you have a longer wait at the gates. Last year it took me 10+ mins from when I got in line at the gate to having my ticket scanned. This year I have yet to wait over 2 mins. The time I had to wait 2 mins was because a family tried to bring in a bunch of stuff they couldn't and asked a ridiculous amount of questions after. I usually enter the gate just to the left of the team store.

Personally. I still like the La Nova Chicken Fingers. They aren't amazing by any stretch. And they have a different labor to them but they aren't bad at all for stadium food. Beats a "boiled hot dog" that's for sure.

I don't think outside food is allowed in. I had a problem with a sub at a preseason game. Told me to eat it, throw it out or go back to your car. Edited by kr632

Nobody seems to be mentioning other aspects of the renovation that most fans don't see, including the new concessions building, newly renovated locker rooms (which are awesome by the way), the new press box and mega-suite. Surprise, the money wasn't all spent to make fans happy.

And new Maintence building. There is a lot of things you can't see as a example alot of new sewer pipes were installed. As you pointed out the locker room were not just renovated but expanded. There was even a remolding of the RV lot restrooms and upgrading of the tall parking lot light poles. Small items but they all add up. Government $$$$ were used in the renovations so that means union wages were paid increasing the cost. There will be move work done this year for example paving of lot 2 (Rv bus) lot, installation of hand rails in the stands, I believe one seat in each row will have to be removed just to name a couple more improvements.

And new Maintence building. There is a lot of things you can't see as a example alot of new sewer pipes were installed. As you pointed out the locker room were not just renovated but expanded. There was even a remolding of the RV lot restrooms and upgrading of the tall parking lot light poles. Small items but they all add up. Government $$$$ were used in the renovations so that means union wages were paid increasing the cost. There will be move work done this year for example paving of lot 2 (Rv bus) lot, installation of hand rails in the stands, I believe one seat in each row will have to be removed just to name a couple more improvements.

the maintenance/catering building in the rear of the facility is huge. Most people love in their own section and never make or over to that side of the stadium so they would never know it's there. Hell, there were people I sit with and have for years and they didn't notice it until halfway through the season.

The sewars and plumbing was a huge fix. People complain about that day when the flooding of sewage happened. That's not becaise the plumbing was terrible before. It's becaise they were working in it prior to that happening.

"Remember what Ben Franklin said about sacrificing Liberty for security??????"

Forget that nonsense.....any man who wanted a turkey as our national bird gets my vote 100% of the time! Delicious. Although, I bet if you braised a bald eagle long enough it would also be delicious.

Wait, what are we arguing about? Something about beer bongs and terrorists......

fyi. I never said I anything about me leaving my tailgate for a pretzel or a boiled hot dog. I was stating what new concessions were available. I know how to tailgate. I've been doing it for 20 years.

And I'm not your F#%King son.

Maybe I should be telling you to Learn to get a watch and make it into the gates in time for kickoff!!!

Look. If you really think it's worse than before. So be it. I can't help it if not everyone can learn that some things change and maybe your entry before the renovations aren't the same as they are now.

Again, I leave a few minutes early to ensure I get into the stadium, get a few beers, take a piss and get to my seats before the opening kickoff it's not F%#King rocket science.

And telling me how to tailgate because I leave 20 minutes earlier??? Really? What time do you get to your tailgate in the morning? Because I'm usually at Hammers lot by 730am on game day.

Oh you don't like being demeaned for expressing your opinion? Never would have guessed.

Here's the thing.....the guy was just expressing his opinion about renovations. It wasn't an attack on your sensibilities so your child-like response was unnecessary.

If the Bills want you to get in your seat more than 10 minutes before kickoff then they should be providing some entertainment.

There is a huge hole in the NFL in-stadium experience pre-game and during halftime. The chief reason for that being that bored people eat and drink more.

Rewarding the Bills for forcing people to come in early and subsequently be bored or spend more money is counterproductive. Provide something worth sitting in a seat for and people will get in early.

Acting like it's the fans problem when the issue could simply have been....and SHOULD HAVE BEEN...... alleviated GREATLY by expanding gates and adding a few personnel. The free market response would be simple....they would provide something worth watching for a half hour before the game or just expand the gates and hire 40 extra people to work those gates for an hour 10 days per year.

Personally, I don't care if I miss the first couple Bills punts of the game. I can watch it on my phone on the way in if I want...Sunday ticket mobile....or re-watch what I missed on the dvr or the game rewind/shortcuts on NFLN later. There was a time when those in-game moments were pretty much lost in time and the NFL still treats fans like you had better get in early or you may miss them like it was 1982. It's not.

As for my tailgating......I typically get 7 hours in....a FULL 7.....not the 6:20 that I'd get if I wanted to guarantee I got in to see Eric Moulds lead the charge. A review of the math.....I pass Hammers on our way home and the lot is dark and completely empty....tells me I put in more time....not that that is my basis of quality but it seems to be yours. Plus I get another 3 hours in a van with my fellow tailgating Bills fans to talk Bills......so a Sunday is a tailgating commitment.

Yeah. You sound like me. Except you feel that your tailgating experience is more fulfilling than everyone else's. Not unlike any other mid 20s kid that bought a Crappy van and painted it Bills colors and claim to the the best and only option for tailgating.

The Bills tailgating experience certainly revolves around Badobeelz everyone.

Your just like any other drunk idiot that staggers in 8 minutes into the game I bet. Pushing people around and walking in front of them during a play.

What entertainer would you like before the game? You know of you get in early you can watch them practicing right? Maybe that's not enought for you. That's fine. But I have no idea what else you could be asking for since the players are on the field warming up during that time. Regardless of that or not. The entertainment is an NFL game. Not cheerleaders. Not prancing bands. Not live music playing. A F%#King football game. If it's not enough for you, you can always stay out in the parking lot at your sweet 1984 rape van colored in Bills Blue with ZubaZ paint. Nobody else wants you showing up halfway through the 1st quarter, spilling beer all over everyone on your way to your seat.

Get a grip guy. Enjoy your Sunday.

Edited by mrags

Let's not forget that you seriously just chimmed in on a subject and basically talked a whole bunch of smack to Hammer about his lot. And the numerous people here that call Hammers lot a home. Your either high. Or just plain stupid.

Yeah. You sound like me. Except you feel that your tailgating experience is more fulfilling than everyone else's. Not unlike any other mid 20s kid that bought a Crappy van and painted it Bills colors and claim to the the best and only option for tailgating.

Your just like any other drunk idiot that staggers in 8 minutes into the game I bet. Pushing people around and walking in front of them during a play.

What entertainer would you like before the game? You know of you get in early you can watch them practicing right? Maybe that's not enought for you. That's fine. But I have no idea what else you could be asking for since the players are on the field warming up during that time. Regardless of that or not. The entertainment is an NFL game. Not cheerleaders. Not prancing bands. Not live music playing. A F%#King football game. If it's not enough for you, you can always stay out in the parking lot at your sweet 1984 rape van colored in Bills Blue with ZubaZ paint. Nobody else wants you showing up halfway through the 1st quarter, spilling beer all over everyone on your way to your seat.

Everyone has a different opinion on what the game day experience should be. Most of us would agree that watching the game is priority number 1. That being said, the NFL has turned into big business. If they want fans in the gates early then provide something of quality while we are drinking a water downed 9 dollar draft beer. Arguing about whose tailgate is better is just silly. Ive , like others have been to all sorts and hosted as well. Some of my personal best were me and my son cooking hot dogs over the fire and carrying on 4 generations of Bills loyalty without all the chaos.

Everyone has a different opinion on what the game day experience should be. Most of us would agree that watching the game is priority number 1. That being said, the NFL has turned into big business. If they want fans in the gates early then provide something of quality while we are drinking a water downed 9 dollar draft beer. Arguing about whose tailgate is better is just silly. Ive , like others have been to all sorts and hosted as well. Some of my personal best were me and my son cooking hot dogs over the fire and carrying on 4 generations of Bills loyalty without all the chaos.

your argument is logical and easy to get behind. I like some others.

Wait until the lawsuits starts when $ch!ttfaced fans fall face first into those boulders.

We as a nation need to GET OVER this fear of terrorists. It's disgraceful.

Remember what Ben Franklin said about sacrificing Liberty for security??????

Give me wifi or give me death?

Just like in your original response to the OP, you make a ton of assumptions based on.....what?

I'm not 20 something, I don't have a Bills painted van....basically none of the stereotypes you impose on everyone else. If you don't like those people though..maybe a third of gameday fans....I could do like you and assume it's because you don't have any friends but that would be rude to say. :lol:

As for Hammer......I've got nothing against the guy. I used to tailgate there and if were up to me I would have stayed there but we have a group of around 20-30 every week and they want more than his lot can offer. We gotta be able to roll in between 8 and 9 am, get a dozen spots together and now that the guys have gotten used to shelter and electricity and $10 parking and being closer to the stadium there isn't any way for me to get them back. If you are referring to the talk about Kenny deserving/being offered a cut of parking revenue elswhere, that's not from me I was just relaying what I've heard from a knowledgeable source.

You see, all I had to do was put him in his place and suddenly he sees it your way. B-)

You want fans to come in early, make it worthwhile. I was pretty sure he was going to bust out the "you're not a fan if you aren't there to cheer on the defense argument"......which btw is invalidated by the fact that the organization knows that fans aren't going to roll in early to sit on a metal bleacher and watch the punters practice and therefore negate their own early crowd noise advantage in favor of beer sales.

There is a happy medium. Entertain the fans. It doesn't have to be anything to do with the field. How about something related to fantasy football pregame? Tons of fans are addicted to that ****. The answer is right under their nose but as you and I know they want you to be bored to tears so that you eat and booze.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ