How's that 'Buffalo Billion' working out for ya?

stagnant job growth is a win in Buffalo and I would have thought a conservative like you would applaud less government jobs including "5 percent decline at local schools and 2.2 percent fewer federal government jobs." and I know there are at least three hospitals closing in the area so that should put a smile on your face.

Why is it funny... You must love BFLO so much, its funny when it fails.

Disturbing to say the least.

It's not about Buffalo failing, it's about yet another case of throwing money at a problem and expecting it to fix things.

It's not about Buffalo failing, it's about yet another case of throwing money at a problem and expecting it to fix things.

Yeah... But did they honestly throw a billion dollars around. I would bet it was not even a very small fraction of that... Actual money that is.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yeah... But did they honestly throw a billion dollars around. I would bet it was not even a very small fraction of that... Actual money that is.

If that's the case, it's even dumber to expect it to have any effect.

Don't misunderstand me - I'd love to see WNY turn things around, but I'm honestly surprised that so many people are willing to put up with the heavy taxation, the depressed economy, and the brutal winters associated with the region. There are many attractive alternatives with lower taxes, more jobs, and little to no snow to slog through.

If that's the case, it's even dumber to expect it to have any effect.

Don't misunderstand me - I'd love to see WNY turn things around, but I'm honestly surprised that so many people are willing to put up with the heavy taxation, the depressed economy, and the brutal winters associated with the region. There are many attractive alternatives with lower taxes, more jobs, and little to no snow to slog through.

Yeah... I agree.

I guess it was the OP's original expectation that it was working out. Of course I hold my breath when I first hear of stuff like this and wish for the best. It still is upstate Western New York.

Yeah... I agree.

I guess it was the OP's original expectation that it was working out. Of course I hold my breath when I first hear of stuff like this and wish for the best. It still is upstate Western New York.

Like I said, I'd love to know that things had turned around up there. I left a lot of good friends behind - good people for whom I wish nothing but the best. I still have family there. And it's not like I live in some ultra-conservative place - Austin is very liberal. Texas, however, is not. Say what you will about right-leaning states, but despite having problems like most other places do, we're in pretty decent shape economically. Other states could learn from Texas.

He's not the only one enjoying Texas. Do you really think that Buffalo is doing 'just fine'?

Compared to where it was, it's doing much better. There are more positives going on than negatives. There are actually smart people making decisions now vs the old boy network of the past 25-30 years. GBiD only posts the negative things--I suppose it makes him feel better about leaving?

Re the Buffalo Billion, it is being spent over several years, and is just getting started. The impact won't be felt in any meaningful way until 2016 most likely. The state is taking some risks for sure, but their biggest expenditures support private sector development. Here's a pretty even-handed article about Buffalo and the #1 BB project from Bloomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-19/how-elon-musk-can-make-buffalo-known-for-more-than-wings.html

I'm obviously cynical with regard to govt spending, but I'd like to see this work out as a plus for WNY.

here's another example of the interesting things going on in the city. We took the kids downtown to skate at canal side, but it was closed due to warm weather, so we ended up at this place. Hopefully the beer will get flowing the next time I'm there..

http://buffalorising.com/2014/11/riverworks-complex-set-to-open-january-1-2015/

How is WNY? I have lived in Boston, NYC, overseas, Pittsburgh, LA. i have no commuting time, golf is accessaible and 40 bucks a round where in any of those other places it would be $100. I can easily go boating, fishing, skiing, biking. My kids walked to a good school. The people and my neighbors are friendly. I live in a great house in a great neighborhood at a fraction of the cost of other more "better places to live". The City is finally in the right direction. WNY will never have great economic metrics as it is a mature city but from my standpoint in the metrics that matter....

Edited by baskin

here's another example of the interesting things going on in the city. We took the kids downtown to skate at canal side, but it was closed due to warm weather, so we ended up at this place. Hopefully the beer will get flowing the next time I'm there..

http://buffalorising.com/2014/11/riverworks-complex-set-to-open-january-1-2015/

The one thing Buffalo should get right they don't......ice. Too warm? I have a friend who posted pics of her and her daughters skating in downtown LA. It was 80 degrees.

The one thing Buffalo should get right they don't......ice. Too warm? I have a friend who posted pics of her and her daughters skating in downtown LA. It was 80 degrees.

B word, B word, B word, B word, B word, B word, B word...

You obviously have big issues with WNY. Duly noted once again. Go skate in LA if that's what makes you happy. Hopefully an earthquake doesn't knock a jumbotron on your inflated Cali-loving head. Bring some O2 in case the smog starts to get to you.