Can We Spend Your Money Mister Pegula?

PolishDave

One thing I have noticed pretty much since the Pegulas took ownership of this team is that fans are pretty friggin ridiculous in their expectations of what should, what will or what is likely to happen when it comes to making changes to this team that cost money.

I have heard fans say things like this:

"pay him whatever he wants"

"give this guy a pay raise"

"Get this guy at any cost"

"Tell him to name his price"

"we have an owner with deep pockets now"

"I don't care if this guy costs $25 million"

Of course I am paraphrasing what fans are saying, but I think you get the jist.

I find it humorous how free and easy fans are in making decisions when it is not their own money they are spending.

This Buffalo Bills organization is a business folks. And businesses are run to make a profit. If they don't make a profit, then the capital invested in them gets itchy and wants to move somewhere it can earn a reasonable return based on the risk involved.

How about using some common sense when throwing figures around? It isn't your money. Somebody has to make an intelligent decision about whether it is a worthwhile investment or not. And a lot of what is suggested around here are crazy ridiculous in terms of the financials.

Even though the owner is a wealthy man, I am quite sure he doesn't intend to piss away his wealth by throwing a few extra million here or a few extra million there. If he was that careless with money, then game attendance would be free, we would eat all the free hotdogs we wanted at the games and they would give us the beer for free too.

/End rant

I agree with you, to a point.

I think the difference is that fans now have the confidence that TP is committed to winning a championship and will spend the necessary resources to do so and that he will have the wherewithal to convince a top coach/gm/free agent to come to Buffalo because all reasonable efforts will be made to win.

I don't expect the Bills to be quite as bottom line focused as they have been previously. As Pegula said with the Sabres, "if I need more money, I'll dig another well". To your point, it is unreasonable to expect Terry to just throw money away or to write a blank check for someone. But I do believe things will be different under the Pegula family and that has fans excited (maybe a little over excited).

I'm really anxious to see what, if any, changes are made to how we approach free agency, and re-signing. I feel like for the most part, we underspent for many years up until recently. I have to wonder if the "change" already happened when Russ took over operations.

* I say this knowing zilch about nada, I don't know a whole lot about how NFL spending works compared to other leagues.

Edited by Dorkington

One thing I have noticed pretty much since the Pegulas took ownership of this team is that fans are pretty friggin ridiculous in their expectations of what should, what will or what is likely to happen when it comes to making changes to this team that cost money.

I find it humorous how free and easy fans are in making decisions when it is not their own money they are spending.

This Buffalo Bills organization is a business folks. And businesses are run to make a profit. If they don't make a profit, then the capital invested in them gets itchy and wants to move somewhere it can earn a reasonable return based on the risk involved.

How about using some common sense when throwing figures around? It isn't your money. Somebody has to make an intelligent decision about whether it is a worthwhile investment or not. And a lot of what is suggested around here are crazy ridiculous in terms of the financials.

Even though the owner is a wealthy man, I am quite sure he doesn't intend to piss away his wealth by throwing a few extra million here or a few extra million there. If he was that careless with money, then game attendance would be free, we would eat all the free hotdogs we wanted at the games and they would give us the beer for free too.

/End rant

I think you're wrong, PD. Different owners are different people and have different ideas on spending. I know several very rich people and some don't care about wasting money at all.

Pegula, when he took over the Sabres, spent a lot of money on stuff that has little to do with the field. Some could argue he spent too much. The players used to stay in decent hotels on the road. Now they stay in the best hotels. That's basically wasting money. He paid out a lot for scouts. He spent a ton on a whole new dressing room.

He spent an extra 400,000,000 - four hundred million dollars - he didn't really have to spend to buy the Bills. He simply asked what is going to end this, was told 1.4 billion even though the sale would have been just over a billion, and then simply said ok, and wrote a check. Then said he got a great deal. He's even said he's not out to make money and if he wanted to, he would sell another well.

/End rant

We finally get a deep pockets owner who has shown a tendency to actually spend money to improve his professional team and your already pissing in the punchbowl

Thanks

/End rant

Polish dave is cheap

of course , when people want to spend Terry's money, they seem to forget about the salary cap .Doesnt really matter how much money you have if there is limit to how much you can spend on players. if you try to re-sign the "Fantastic Four (Mario W , Marcell Dareaus, Kyle W and Jerry Hughes ), keep Spiller?..what if Orton exercises his option?

of course , when people want to spend Terry's money, they seem to forget about the salary cap .Doesnt really matter how much money you have if there is limit to how much you can spend on players. if you try to re-sign the "Fantastic Four (Mario W , Marcell Dareaus, Kyle W and Jerry Hughes ), keep Spiller?..what if Orton exercises his option?

We have never come close to that cap.....and it is about to go up.

Unless I'm mistaken, the player salaries are capped and paid for though the TV revenue contracts. The owner puts up his own money for signing bonuses, but that money still gets asssigned to the cap eventually. So, I expect to see little difference in which players are signed. If they're good... they'll be made a reasonable offer.

Now coaches and FO staff is where the owner has full discretion to spend. And that's the difference between more and more teams... the quality of their coaching and scouting staffs. Hopefully, we finally have an owner that understands this and does what it takes to build te best FO in the league.

I'm no accountant but I think there's a pretty big gap between paying players a few extra million and making all games, food, and beer free.

Unless I'm mistaken, the player salaries are capped and paid for though the TV revenue contracts. The owner puts up his own money for signing bonuses, but that money still gets asssigned to the cap eventually. So, I expect to see little difference in which players are signed. If they're good... they'll be made a reasonable offer.

Now coaches and FO staff is where the owner has full discretion to spend. And that's the difference between more and more teams... the quality of their coaching and scouting staffs. Hopefully, we finally have an owner that understands this and does what it takes to build te best FO in the league.

Agreed......you know there was a time when the bills really found a way to find those late round gems (and that might have picked up to....i feel like we found some late round guys this past year)

You see that is where you really build a winner fast....not just being right about free agents and blue chip draft picks but being right on the later guys that you need for depth at the positions....injuries happen.....and you need a guy you DIDNT spend a ton on to come in and contribute and not be a weak link.

Scouting goes a long way for that......please spend on your coaches, scouts, conditioning coaches, and facilities Terry

I'm no accountant but I think there's a pretty big gap between paying players a few extra million and making all games, food, and beer free.

Concessions revenues per home game are approximately $1 million per game for an NFL team which over a year equals about half of Mario's annual salary.

So, in theory, if Mario didn't pay any Federal Income taxes at all, he could buy us all free beer and free food for every home game and still take home the same amount of money....Pretty cool huh..

Game ticket sales generates more revenue. The Bills get about $4.45 million for a sellout. Of that money they keep 60% or about $2.67 million. The other 40% goes to the other team.

So if they sell out every regular season home game then revenues would be about $21.36 million for ticket sales and somewhere around $8 million for concessions or about $30 million combined.

If you just add up the 2014 salaries of the players with the last name of Williams on the team, it exceeds that $30 million by quite a bit coming in at around $41 million.

Edited by PolishDave

Concessions revenues per home game are approximately $1 million per game for an NFL team which over a year equals about half of Mario's annual salary.

So, in theory, if Mario didn't pay any Federal Income taxes at all, he could buy us all free beer and free food for every home game and still take home the same amount of money....Pretty cool huh..

:oops: I stand corrected

i'm sure we will be spending to the cap every year now but that's more about allocation of resources rather than "i have more money than you." where Pegula will really help us is in spending money on coaches (no salary cap on those guys!) and facilities (brand new state of the art stadium and training facilities will bring in free agents!)

I think Terry's learned from his first season with the sabres. He'll spend but intend to get more value in doing it. The team is close, so if he pays talent to stay, adds depth, and adds veteran qb talent with developmental qb(s) via the draft, I think he can spend without hurting the team long term.

/End rant

Ralph's demise was obviously exaggerated. Welcome back Mr. Wilson!