Eric Wood's hit on Clay Matthews

Jerry Jabber

I think it was the second last time the Bills faced the Packers, Clay Matthews grabbed then Center, Geoff Hangartner and tossed him like a rag doll. I remember seeing that and thinking what an embarrassment that was. Yesterday, Eric Wood leveled Clay Matthews which was awesome to see (they showed it on replay a few times during the game).

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blocking is dirty?

C'mon, that's not what I said.

Whether it's dirty or not, it's nice seeing a team that plays physical and that is hungry to win. We can't have a team of choir boys playing a violent game.

It's a fine line to walk, I just hope we don't get suspensions for shots like that, that's the thing I worry about.

It's a fine line to walk, I just hope we don't get suspensions for shots like that, that's the thing I worry about.

From what I heard on WGR, Hughes hit Bulaga very hard which caused him to exit the game. I don't like seeing players get hurt, but it's a

Violent game, not everyone can play it, especially at the pro level.

From what I heard on WGR, Hughes hit Bulaga very hard which caused him to exit the game. I don't like seeing players get hurt, but it's a

Indeed. Another thing to worry about is if it becomes a trend, the league/other teams will look for it, and we see more penalties on the Bills in important games, because refs might be instructed to look for it (either by the league or the opposing team). I'm all for having attitude, protecting our players, not backing down, being aggressive... but those sorts of things can get flagged and set us back at inopportune times.

I came here to start a thread on this too, good to others talking about it already.

I absolutely loved the hit personally. It was really a microcosm of the game itself. Matthews was pursuing with his head down and got blasted. He underestimated our team, and got smacked for it. Just like the Packers team as a whole in that game.

As hard as it was to watch the Offense, plays like the Wood hit make that game simply amazing for me to watch. I live in the midwest and don't get to see many Bills games in their entirety. And usually when they are on National TV, I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth. This time, I'm still fired up the next day. Feels awesome to have a team with an identity again.

I thought this was now a penalty? Stemming from the Warren Sapp hit he had. I could be very very wrong though.

I thought so too, but maybe it's only when the ball changes hands on a turnover? Not sure.

I could be speaking way out of line with my above opinions. I just worry about such hits biting us in the ass.

Wood threw a legal block to the chest of a defender who was actively pursuing the play, and you said you thought it was dirty. If you're not saying blocking is dirty, what are you saying?

I thought it might be a flag. I believe there's a scenario when you aren't supposed to block back towards your own end zone. That's what Wood did there.

I'm not going to complain about it. You gotta believe Mathews had his head on a swivel the next time he was pursuing a runner.

Wood threw a legal block to the chest of a defender who was actively pursuing the play, and you said you thought it was dirty. If you're not saying blocking is dirty, what are you saying?

To me it looked higher, and that the defender wasn't actively pursuing (depends on actively, seemed like a lazy jog towards the ball). That's not an engaged block, that's a hit on another player not expecting a hit, hence why I think it's a bit dirty. It may full well be legal, I'm not clear. "Dirty" is simply subjective, and I'm fine with disagreeing with others on it. To me it's either dirty, or very close to being dirty.

The Hughes hit, though, was no question dirty

Edited by Dorkington

I loved it. This was one of the highlights of the game for me. If anything, I like it that our team is getting a reputation for hitting hard. It looked like we gave Lacy a few good shots too. Could have been a factor in them not giving him the ball as much as they should have. Maybe he was banged up

I thought so too, but maybe it's only when the ball changes hands on a turnover? Not sure.

I could be speaking way out of line with my above opinions. I just worry about such hits biting us in the ass.

IM not so sure if it is legal. From an article i found on Bleacher report:

Other Illegal Hits on Players in Compromised Positions

One of the dirtiest hits in recent memory came on a play that is now illegal. Defenseless players are now protected after a change in possession. Here is Hall of Fame defensive tackle Warren Sapp blowing up Packers offensive tackle Chad Clifton:

At the time, this was legal a football play. Sapp didn't know which direction Clifton would move and whether he might make the eventual tackle, so Sapp played all out until the whistle—just like young players are taught.

It's also clearly a dangerous play, which is now against the rules.

Players are also protected from blows to and from the head during blindside blocks in which an offensive player is moving parallel to the line of scrimmage, as well as illegal crack-back blocks in which the offensive player uses his head. Let's just call this one the "Hines Ward Rule." Here's Seattle Seahawks receiver Golden Tate being called for such an illegal block on Dallas Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee:

This is a Bleacher Report article and you can serach using "Warren Sapp hits now illegal"

I thought that was the "hidden" impact play of the game.

Bulaga and Mario were having an awesome battle throughout the day, with Bulaga doing great work stalemating the big man. After Hughes sent him to the locker room, Mario took advantage of the back-up and beat him on the edge to make the play that ended the game. I doubt he makes that play if Bulaga is still on the field.

And regarding the big hits against the grain by both Wood and Hughes, I bet those never happen if that idiot Barrington hadn't lit up Fred with a cheap shot a full 2-3 seconds after the whistle on the non-return after Orton's pick.