How much will it take to keep Hughes?

Rubes

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are other players to consider in the next few years. Glenn will surely require at least a $10M increase in salary in 2016. There is also Gilmore, Bradham, RB(Spiller & FJ will be gone), and Robey......as well as the Dareus contract.

In 2017 we see Kiko, Woods, McKelvin and Kyle Williams hitting FA.

Top contracts to Glenn, Kiko, Mario, Hughes & Dareus.....along with potential increased spending at several other positions could see trouble down the road. If

we ever find a QB to pay top dollar to, we could be forced into rebuilding before we ever get to making a run for the SB.

The Hali contract is the model.

He'll get that if he hits the open market, and therefore would be crazy to sign for less here.

WINNER WINNER!

AGAIN...6-8 Million per year...not more!

Michael Bennett got $8M/year and has never had double digit sacks in a season.

Never gonna happen

we aren't keeping Hughes. some dumb team will throw a ton of money at him and overpay. teams value pass rushers. we have been spoiled the last 2 seasons, most teams can't get after the QB like we can.

having said that, i don't think they would want to keep him anyways. he's always making bonehead personal foul penalties and he has been disrespectful to coaches (big argument with Marrone in preseason). i think he's a headcase and the team is probably sick of him at this point. plus i don't think he's the prototype for Schwartz's scheme. now Schwartz can go out and get his own guy that fits what he wants to do. Hughes is a one trick pony. he knows how to rush the passer and that's about it (although he does this really well!). he's not going to be stuffing the run at only 240 something pounds. he has held his own this year but i think he's just had a lot of help. i'll be sad to see him go. he's a beast at rushing the QB. but i don't think he's worth the big long term contract he's going to want

I think the cost will be too high to sign Hughes. I believe it is either Dareus or Hughes, It is unrealistic to afford both with the money they already have on the D line with Mario and Kyle. They will let Hughes walk and work on signing Dareus. JMO

Kyle is aging out of the equation, realistically.

we aren't keeping Hughes. some dumb team will throw a ton of money at him and overpay. teams value pass rushers. we have been spoiled the last 2 seasons, most teams can't get after the QB like we can.

having said that, i don't think they would want to keep him anyways. he's always making bonehead personal foul penalties and he has been disrespectful to coaches (big argument with Marrone in preseason). i think he's a headcase and the team is probably sick of him at this point. plus i don't think he's the prototype for Schwartz's scheme. now Schwartz can go out and get his own guy that fits what he wants to do. Hughes is a one trick pony. he knows how to rush the passer and that's about it (although he does this really well!). he's not going to be stuffing the run at only 240 something pounds. he has held his own this year but i think he's just had a lot of help. i'll be sad to see him go. he's a beast at rushing the QB. but i don't think he's worth the big long term contract he's going to want

Hughes is quite literally the prototype pass rusher for Schwartz. Think Avril, or kearse.

Hughes is quite literally the prototype pass rusher for Schwartz. Think Avril, or kearse.

As a pass rusher, sure. But Schwartz wants a guy that can set the edge and funnel everything inside on 1st and 2nd down. Only he can say for sure but that's the mentality of his defense. Hughes is one of the smaller DE's in the league. I think Hughes is roughly the same size as one of Mario's legs (seriously that guy is huge!)

Look at Mario! Signed the biggest contract ever and here we are three years later and his deal is run of the mill.

Why?

Because the salary cap Goes up by HUGE amounts every year. Give Hughes 50-60 million and the. Give Dareus 120 million. The salary cap will be 200 million dollars in 2-3 years and those contracts will be run of the mill. Structure it right and it won't matter.

This has been happening for years and still no one has caught on??

Look at Mario! Signed the biggest contract ever and here we are three years later and his deal is run of the mill.

Why?

Because the salary cap Goes up by HUGE amounts every year. Give Hughes 50-60 million and the. Give Dareus 120 million. The salary cap will be 200 million dollars in 2-3 years and those contracts will be run of the mill. Structure it right and it won't matter.

This has been happening for years and still no one has caught on??

What? mario Williams is still the second highest paid defensive player in the league . second to JJ Watt and his recent extension. hardly "run of the mill".

Kyle is aging out of the equation, realistically.

Kyle Williams only makes 5,850,000 next year and 7 Mil for 2016/2017. He is still playing at a high level, especially for the amount they are paying him. Its the 19 Million that Marrio makes, and Marcell's big payday coming, that limits the amount they will spend on Hughes

Edited by OldNMBillsFan

Kyle Williams only makes 5,850,000 next year and 7 Mil for 2016/2017. He is still playing at a high level, especially for the amount they are paying him. Its the 19 Million that Marrio makes, and Marcell's big payday coming, that limits the amount they will spend on Hughes

Over the next two years we have two big pay days - over the next 2 I think we drop 3 mid sized contracts (Lawson, spikes, KW). Those 3 match up to a good bit of the raises that will be seen, in my opinion. Even if KW plays out the next two years at his price tag, no way he's taking up 7m+ as a bill in an extension as a 33 year old that's built his game getting in the backfield and with a lot of lower body injuries.

I look at the roster and that's the (oversimplified) natural progression I see happening assuming hughes and dareus want to be here

Edited by NoSaint

Over the next two years we have two big pay days - over the next 2 I think we drop 3 mid sized contracts (Lawson, spikes, KW). Those 3 match up to a good bit of the raises that will be seen, in my opinion. Even if KW plays out the next two years at his price tag, no way he's taking up 7m+ as a bill in an extension as a 33 year old that's built his game getting in the backfield and with a lot of lower body injuries.

I look at the roster and that's the (oversimplified) natural progression I see happening assuming hughes and dareus want to be here

I agree with this. The one thing that I will say as that I'm not sure Dareus will have a choice. They will be tagging him if need be when the time comes. They will bring a strong extension and hopefully it will get it done. Otherwise they will buy time with the franchise tag.

You forgot about Bradham. His contract will surely cancel out the Lawson one.

KW is not for another 3 years (2017), but of course Kiko will get a contract that dwarfs his one that year.

No matter what way one looks at it, the front 7 will be costing us mega dollars into the foreseeable future if we resign our guys. Mind you, if they keep performing as they have been it will be money well spent IMO.

Edited by Dibs

You forgot about Bradham. His contract will surely cancel out the Lawson one.

KW is not for another 3 years (2017), but of course Kiko will get a contract that dwarfs his one that year.

No matter what way one looks at it, the front 7 will be costing us mega dollars into the foreseeable future if we resign our guys. Mind you, if they keep performing as they have been it will be money well spent IMO.

I don't think we pay the linebackers significantly if Schwartz is around long term. He never has prioritized them. I think we cycle guys like brown, bradham, and kiko picking up comp picks and cap space on departure. Occasionally a rivers type player to fill a gap too. Playing behind this front 4 you get better value out of those mid tier guys. Especially with our guys getting inflated stats behind them their second contracts will inflate.

Edited by NoSaint