How much will it take to keep Hughes?

Rubes

I am with the group that says we need to target Hughes as our #1 FA signing. I would love to keep this defense together for a few more years, but with Mario's huge contract and Dareus to become a FA in 2016, that could potentially be a ridiculous amount of money tied up in the D-line.

This coming off season, we have a large number of pending FAs but aside from CJ Spiller, nobody who would demand huge money. For the record, we're looking at:

Hughes

Spiller

Searcy

Hogan

Pears

Wynn

Spikes

Bryant

Lee Smith

Summers (he's still on the team?)

Dean

Easley

Gay

Hairston

...and there may be others I'm not aware of. On the defensive side, I'd like to see us keep Searcy, Wynn, and Bryant, but I believe Spikes will be gone. I don't think any of those three will be too expensive.

As for Hughes, it sounds like the franchise tag will be north of $13 million, so we're looking at big numbers. Mario will have three years left on his deal and is slated to get $14.4, $15.3, and $14.9 million in those last three years (Linky to numbers). Dareus is going to command numbers in that range as well, certainly given that average salaries escalate year-over-year, the cap is going to be going up up up, and there's still another off season before he starts negotiating.

I think the need to keep Dareus is greater than the need to keep Hughes -- if it comes down to a decision between the two. But I'm hoping we can still keep both, and plan to go all in over the next three years (when Mario's contract is up).

Hughes is an interesting case. He's a bit undersized, and underperformed during the first part of his career, but he's really blossomed in Buffalo, and he's done a good job working on all parts of his game. By all accounts, his performance against the run is improving, and he's considered a real big-play game-changer. Those are the kind of guys you want on your side, not the other side.

Of course, he's a penalty machine, leading the team right now, and he hasn't exactly been a great influence on Dareus, at least in the off season.

I doubt $10 million per season gets it done with him, as other teams will almost certainly offer more. But how much is too much knowing that Mario is getting big $$ and Dareus is going to need big $$ soon?

Edited by Rubes

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills look at it as an overall front seven and not front four they can rationalize spending 10-12m on him. Kiko, Preston Brown, Nigel Bradham, who will be your starters, cost peanuts. Kiko and Brown we don't have to re-sign for 2-3 years. Bradham is signed through next year although now would be the time to lock him up, a la Aaron Williams. Spikes is probably gone.

We can afford Hughes.

That said, if we can re-sign Spikes and Bradham for a few years, and then get a lower priced FA De pass rusher. That may be the way to go. I'm not sure any team will give Spikes huge money but he has a huge impact on the game. I'd give up Hughes for Spikes and Bradham a few years.

If Mario is still playing at 80% of how hes playing now we try to resign him no doubt. As far as Hughes goes it has been bantered about that 10 mil/year 20-30 signing bonus would get it done and if that is true we absoultly have to resign him. Our front 4 is our biggest strength and you do everything you can to keep them together (not to mention Kiko coming back next year, our whole defense could be superior).

If the Bills look at it as an overall front seven and not front four they can rationalize spending 10-12m on him. Kiko, Preston Brown, Nigel Bradham, who will be your starters, cost peanuts. Kiko and Brown we don't have to re-sign for 2-3 years. Bradham is signed through next year although now would be the time to lock him up, a la Aaron Williams. Spikes is probably gone.

We can afford Hughes.

That said, if we can re-sign Spikes and Bradham for a few years, and then get a lower priced FA De pass rusher. That may be the way to go. I'm not sure any team will give Spikes huge money but he has a huge impact on the game. I'd give up Hughes for Spikes and Bradham a few years.

cycling lawson out is i think a real piece to this puzzle too. in pettines scheme and the initial transition, he was a nice fit. now, not a great value.

We can afford Hughes.

This is actually how I'm looking at it as well. I think it's a good way to view it -- especially since the LBs are young and cheap for a couple more years. They have to be smart about how they structure the next few contracts, since we could be looking at trouble 3-4-5 years down the line, but I agree it can be done.

I just hope that we're still looking at $10-12 million per year at this point for Hughes, and not a crazy amount more.

This is actually how I'm looking at it as well. I think it's a good way to view it -- especially since the LBs are young and cheap for a couple more years. They have to be smart about how they structure the next few contracts, since we could be looking at trouble 3-4-5 years down the line, but I agree it can be done.

I just hope that we're still looking at $10-12 million per year at this point for Hughes, and not a crazy amount more.

additionally, schwartz has spent both $$ and high picks on the line and filled in behind with mid tier LBs before. seems to be a tradeoff he is willing to make.

I like Hughes as much as the next guy but how much $ is he really worth? 9.5 sacks and a great season so far no doubt...but he gets to play with 3 legit pro bowl players next to him.

Are his stats the product of his teammates around him? Is he the type of player that would be a #1 DE on another team? Is he really going to smarten up his game and stop taking dumb penalties for trash talking? Is he motivated by being an UFA this year about to cash out in FA or has he really found his groove in the NFL?

These are all questions Im asking if I'm Doug Whaley. I would be happy paying the man but once he hits the market the dollars tend to get ridiculous. I would be willing to put the franchise tag on him and see if a team bites for a first rounder swap and trade.

I would prioritize resigning Dareus and Gilmoure to long term deals, then I would worry about Hughes.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

i think cliff avril in his prime might qualify as a comparable player?

passed a 3 year 30m and got a 2 year 15m ---- really, i think hughes will be thought of as a 10m type player not the HUGE dollar guy. not a small pricetag, but i dont think it will be as fierce a competition for him as some posters might. simply opinion though.

@TheBillsMafia: .@jaytdehart breaks down the cost of re-signing Jerry Hughes http://t.co/1BuglUubC0 http://t.co/DT6kqkn5Oo

I believe that's wishful thinking from a fan. A 5yr contract with $12M-$15M guaranteed? There's a team out there willing to give him more than that.

i think cliff avril in his prime might qualify as a comparable player?

passed a 3 year 30m and got a 2 year 15m ---- really, i think hughes will be thought of as a 10m type player not the HUGE dollar guy. not a small pricetag, but i dont think it will be as fierce a competition for him as some posters might. simply opinion though.

I think the guaranteed money ($11M) is spot on, but there's little chance he will sign a 2yr deal (it's amazing Avril did). Project Avril's guaranteed cash over 5 yrs and you get $27.5M, and that sounds just about right.