Universal Health Care For New York??

Tiberius

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On why we need universal health care

Ellie Donnally is a retired healthcare worker and East Syracuse resident.

By Ellie Donnally

As someone who worked for 42 years in healthcare, I never thought I would have been facing a health emergency myself. After I retired, my husband and I moved to the area eight years ago. We wanted to be closer to our children and enjoyed the high quality of life here in Central New York.

Unfortunately, he passed away five years ago. I was devastated emotionally, of course, but I didn't expect to be devastated financially, too.

Once he died, our household income went down significantly. Because of my social security and small pension from my union, 1199, my monthly income of $1,800 was too high to qualify for Medicaid but too low to be able to afford health insurance that would cover my regular health needs and pre-existing conditions, including regular checkups for diabetes.

Three years ago, a year and a half after my husband died, I suffered a heart attack. I got good care at a local hospital. Two weeks later, I got the bill - and almost had another heart attack right then and there.

The bill was for $43,000. I had no way to pay it back. I have arranged a payment plan with the hospital, but it's been three years and I am still paying it off. In fact, I am trying to fight off a lien against my house and I am behind on my property taxes.

http://www.syracuse.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/12/why_we_need_universal_healthcare_in_new_york_commentary.html

"As someone who worked for 42 years in healthcare, I never thought I would have been facing a health emergency myself."

Didn't need to read any farther than that. Anyone who spends four decades in health care and thinks they're immune to health emergencies is a !@#$ing moron. And anecdotes from !@#$ing morons are not a sound basis for making the statement "We need universal health care!"

http://www.syracuse....commentary.html

We need universal health care because a married couple, one of whom worked in the health care and should understand the costs and risks associated, failed to plan for retirement and senior healthcare costs?

They abrogated their personal responsibility to themselves, and so those of us who are responsible, and bear nearly the entire tax burden, now must become responsible for them?

If they can so quickly shed their responsibility to themselves, why can I not shed what you seem to believe is my responsibility to them?

We need universal health care because a married couple, one of whom worked in the health care and should understand the costs and risks associated, failed to plan for retirement and senior healthcare costs?

They abrogated their personal responsibility to themselves, and so those of us who are responsible, and bear nearly the entire tax burden, now must become responsible for them?

If they can so quickly shed their responsibility to themselves, why can I not shed what you seem to believe is my responsibility to them?

Mecause Medicare made her life easier.

"As someone who worked for 42 years in healthcare, I never thought I would have been facing a health emergency myself."

Didn't need to read any farther than that. Anyone who spends four decades in health care and thinks they're immune to health emergencies is a !@#$ing moron. And anecdotes from !@#$ing morons are not a sound basis for making the statement "We need universal health care!"

Oh great, the old, mean spirited, narrow minded, hateful tactic of blaming the victim.

Oh great, the old, mean spirited, narrow minded, hateful tactic of blaming the victim.

VICTIM???? Victim of what? A friggin' heart attack? A disease that is almost completely preventable?

That's like calling you a victim of being a douche. You're not a victim. You're just a douche.

It reads more like a letter to Penthouse Forums.

No, Penthouse Forum was the justification for free birth control.

Sure, that's about it. Because most people are unprepared for catastrophic health care costs.

As to the tax burden thing, I'm not sure it's more expensive. How many top officials at health care firms are making millions a year off of premiums for people? Might be cheaper to cut them out.

VICTIM???? Victim of what? A friggin' heart attack? A disease that is almost completely preventable?

That's like calling you a victim of being a douche.

I guess when talking about health care you are a victim of disease. How stupid are you? Do you breath into a paper bag after reading posts? You sure fly off the handle easy there Tommy Boy. Victim of your own sh-- headedness, I guess

I guess when talking about health care you are a victim of disease.

Really? The purpose of health care is to keep people from being victimized by disease? Even preventable disease? Even when the patient gets treatment (which she did)? Even when the patient is a health care practicioner who should know better?

I'll tell you what...I'm about to go out to Home Depot right now. I'll buy some rope. Tonight, about midnight, I'll tie it to the rafters of my workshop, and I'll hang myself. Around12:05, you call my wife and tell her I'm hanging in my workshop, please cut me down (I should still be alive after 5 minutes). She'll call the EMTs, they'll rush me to the hospital, odds are after an extended stay for physical injuries and a psych e v a l, I'll be let go, but will be disabled, at a cost of ultimately hundreds of thousands of dollars. After ALL that...could you please, using the same bull **** backwards logic you're using above, explain to everyone here how "we need universal health care" because I'm a victim of rope.