Manziel Starting QB for Browns in Week 15

This recent trend of QB's starting their rookie year and being expected to win immediatly is gonna catch up with the NFL sooner rather than later. Its gonna ruin an entire generation of QB's. Its the most complex position in all of sports to excel in.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what this means, but it's awesome.

I've never been so confused after watching a YouTube video. And have you seen some of the stuff on there?

@AroundTheNFL: Eric Davis: Playing Johnny Manziel "one of the worst coaching decisions of the last decade" http://t.co/qWp19dHay3

Sheesh

I honestly haven't read the entire thread but did Merrill Hoge's comments make it here?

"As I've said before, it's going to be a quick exit and it's unfortunate, because whoever drafted him in Cleveland, they need to be fired,'' Hoge said on a postgame show. "Because it's unfair to the kid. He has sixth-round talent but first-round hype, and you draft him there and now regardless of what happens from here on out, he will be expected to play like a first-rounder and that's unfair to him.

"He doesn't have the skill set to withstand that expectation and that's not his fault, it's the Cleveland Browns' for drafting him that high.''

The kid doesn't look at all ready. Too many times he couldn't get past his first read, his footwork in the pocket was woeful, he never set his feet to throw and what those of us who were described as "haters" when he was coming out said about his scrambling not working in the NFL held true as well. It wasn't a surprise to me.

And I am not a hater - I am not one of those that wants to use personal insults to describe him, but I don't think his game transitions. That was always my position. I think for the most part he has handled himself ok this season... but he will have to re-learn how to playthe Quarterback position in a pretty fundamental way to have sustained success at the NFL level. Playing with moxie won't be enough. It's strange because I actually find myself kinda half pulling for the kid now, but if I was a Browns fan I'd be worried that it is going to be a steep learning curve for Johnny to become a franchise QB if indeed he can ever get there. If they genuinely want to develop him they have to play him next year, take their lumps, lose a fair bit and then hope by 2016 he is far enough along the development curve.