Step away from the ledge

section122

Isn't it arguable that the best thing that could have happened to Manuel was to sit? Most of the best qbs playing right now sat for at least a season - Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Brady. Throwing QBs to the wolves right away when they're clearly not ready usually doesn't end well.

If there was a better option. Orton at best is a slight upgrade. There's no question we ran the ball better with EJ and took less sacks. Also, turnovers have become an issue.

I don't think you learn by sitting on the bench. But at the very least, let's see what he can do now. We are gaining nothing by playing Orton.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The team did not lie down under Jauron, either. The problem is not just that they lost to NE and Denver; they also lost games they should have won against Houston, Miami and KC--games where coaching arguably was the difference.

So 3 games out of 13 are fireable for you?

Houston - road game against a motivated former qb, against most likely the defensive mvp who could not be contained, that came down to the last drive which featured a horrendous no call to end it when it should have been a first down.

KC - the playoff team from last year, the team that has arguably one of the single most dynamic players in the NFL in J Charles, the same team that went out and beat the defending world champs the very next week or pasted the Pats*, and again a game that came down to the last drive where Orton went Orton and missed several plays. On top of the fact that the defense gave up a looonnnnggg td run on 4th and 1. Hell I won't even blame the d. Manny Lawson lost containment on the edge and then did it again on the Smith td run. So if Marrone gets no credit for the defense does he just get the blame?

Mia - short week, division rival, on the road.

I just don't get it. I'm so sick of the whining and crying and nitpicking every little thing.

Fire Marrone: The guy who has the Bills playing the best ball in the last 15 years? The guy who has the team competing in every game? The guy who wins all of the games he is supposed too? The guy who has had this team in position to win every single game late in the 4th quarter save for 2 games? The guy who has this team playing unified ball? The guy who has the talent on this team actually producing?

Why? Because you don't like that M Williams is on the bench? Because you don't like his punting decisions?

Hire Harbaugh: The guy who is an offensive genius right? The guy who's team is the 24th ranked offense behind the Bills 22nd? The guy who's team is scoring the 26th most points behind the Bills 18th? The guy who just lost to the Raiders yesterday?

Fire Hackett: See the stats listed above and step back from the ledge. THis offense isn't great but it isn't the worst we've ever seen. Add in the fact that he has been hamstrung by 1 qb out of the NFL (Lewis), 1 qb on the practice squad (Tuel), 1 project qb (EJ), and 1 career backup that shouldn't be anyone's starter (Orton). If you are paying attention instead of trying to fit your preconceived notions, the Bills have been using the screen game much more effectively, hell they even got the ball to Watkins yesterday to appease those fans.

The Losses: Very very few people predicted better than 8-8 this year. Some said best case scenario 9-7. Rose colored glasses had 10 wins. Now that we are staring at least 8-8 in the face the sky is falling and everyone needs to be replaced. This is the best Bills team we have seen in a long time. This is the first team to not be under .500 before week 16 since 1993, this is the first team to have 7 wins by december since 2000, this team is still in the thick of the playoffs going into week 15. Legitimately in the thick of things too not well if these crazy things happen we are in. The KC game? 2 backup rbs, one untimely fumble, against a team that went out and beat the defending super bowl champs the next week. The Miami night game? The home teams are 7-5 in those games. Not one game this year should the Bills have dominated a team on paper and lost. There are very few teams that can say that any year let alone this year.

Get over yourself and stop trying to fit every teeny situation to your already determined narrative. I feel like I'm not watching the same games as other people. This team is the most competitive team I have seen in a long while and we should blow it up?

Yes. From the top down fire them all and start from scratch. This "retooling" BS that has been going on since 1996 is pure BS. Blow it all up and do it right.

with a qb capable of directing the offense to better results, with a better balance in the attack, game planning against opposition weaknesses? A playoff team. Are you seriously asking the question?

Instead we went with a QB the staff apparently didn't believe in enough to stick with, another that got picked up on the eve of the season, and a series of baffling decisions on offense.

Of course there has been progress. The team has 7 wins and can still end on a positive. I chalk that up to the talent Whaley has assembled.

They should have won one, possibly two more games, and we wouldn't be having this moral victory conversation again / yet.

So wait a second. Whaley gets credit for the talent he assembled but Marrone gets the blame for the QBs on the team? Do you see the contradiction here?

Yes. From the top down fire them all and start from scratch. This "retooling" BS that has been going on since 1996 is pure BS. Blow it all up and do it right.

Thank you for your valuable conrtibution to this thread :rolleyes:

Please do enlighten me with what your plan would be after exercising the nuclear option.

After a decade and a half of futility it might be understandable no? Did you expect an overnight turnaround from the string of Gailey 6-10s? As I posted earlier 9 seasons before Marrone got here was the last time the Bills had a winning record. 9! This guy though doesn't get his 3 years though because "fans" have had enough?

Man what happened to you? I hope all is well with you and yours but you have just been on a serious crusade the last few weeks. We get it you didn't like the move to Orton. You don't see any difference between this team and Jauron or Gailey? Seriously?

I've never been better personally. Thanks for asking. :)

I love the Bills probably too much. But apologizing for below average results got old. There's a bottomline. Odds are, we finish 8-8 (and the Raiders game won't be easy). We finished 7-9/ 6-10 under Jauron/ Gailey. Every season is a new one. Finishing 8-8 isn't going to get us in a better spot next year.

I felt the Orton move was a desperate move by a desperate coach. Shockingly, a .500 QB is probably going to finish .500. EJ was .500.

We have no first round pick and don't know anything more about a QB we drafted i nthe 1st round 2 years ago. For Kyle Orton, who I love as a backup. What a waste of a season and of a defense.

So 3 games out of 13 are fireable for you?

Houston - road game against a motivated former qb, against most likely the defensive mvp who could not be contained, that came down to the last drive which featured a horrendous no call to end it when it should have been a first down.

KC - the playoff team from last year, the team that has arguably one of the single most dynamic players in the NFL in J Charles, the same team that went out and beat the defending world champs the very next week or pasted the Pats*, and again a game that came down to the last drive where Orton went Orton and missed several plays. On top of the fact that the defense gave up a looonnnnggg td run on 4th and 1. Hell I won't even blame the d. Manny Lawson lost containment on the edge and then did it again on the Smith td run. So if Marrone gets no credit for the defense does he just get the blame?

Mia - short week, division rival, on the road.

They beat Miami with EJ. They couldn't score a td with Orton. The only head to head opponent both QBs have faced.

If there was a better option. Orton at best is a slight upgrade. There's no question we ran the ball better with EJ and took less sacks. Also, turnovers have become an issue.

I don't think you learn by sitting on the bench. But at the very least, let's see what he can do now. We are gaining nothing by playing Orton.

Orton is a slight upgrade over Manuel at best? Man, we sure have a different opinion of Manuel's ability at this point.

What they gain by playing Orton, in my opinion anyway, is the possibility (small as it might be) of eking out 2 more wins and getting to 9-7 which just might save some coaching asses. If they play Manuel they could much more easily lose out and end up below .500 yet again. Playing Manuel makes sense to me as well for the long term. But I suspect Marrone is not looking long term right now. He is looking to have a job next season.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I've never been better personally. Thanks for asking. :)

I love the Bills probably too much. But apologizing for below average results got old. There's a bottomline. Odds are, we finish 8-8 (and the Raiders game won't be easy). We finished 7-9/ 6-10 under Jauron/ Gailey. Every season is a new one. Finishing 8-8 isn't going to get us in a better spot next year.

I felt the Orton move was a desperate move by a desperate coach. Shockingly, a .500 QB is probably going to finish .500. EJ was .500.

We have no first round pick and don't know anything more about a QB we drafted i nthe 1st round 2 years ago. For Kyle Orton, who I love as a backup. What a waste of a season and of a defense.

They beat Miami with EJ. They couldn't score a td with Orton. The only head to head opponent both QBs have faced.

Glad to hear it. DIdn't know if you were getting saddle sore from your crusade :nana:

I am actually in agreement with you that I would have preferred Manuel this year to Orton. I will take exception to your bolded though. The part I thought EJ was lacking the most was the leadership. He appeared to be too timid and not take charge enough to succeed. His comments about learning this after seeing Kyle do it were encouraging for me. Some people learn by seeing while others learn by doing. Hopefully sitting has been good for EJ and we see the benefits of it next year. We as fans just don't know any of the dynamics surrounding the shift. It certainly seemed the receivers were upset with Manuel's accuracy during that Houston game. We have no idea what else was going on behind the scenes.

Orton is a slight upgrade over Manuel at best? Man, we sure have a different opinion of Manuel's ability at this point.

What they gain by playing Orton, in my opinion anyway, is the possibility (small as it might be) of eking out 2 more wins and getting to 8-8 which just might save some coaching asses. If they play Manuel they could much more easily lose out and end up below .500 yet again. Playing Manuel makes sense to me as well for the long term. But I suspect Marrone is not looking long term right now. He is looking to have a job next season.

Regardless of which QB is playing, we really have a chance of winning 1 more game (Oakland) and getting to 8-8. I have no problem if they decide to put EJ back in. Orton was nice to have in the beginning, but the last couple of games I havent seen anything we couldnt have gotten from Manuel (except Orton taking 'phantom sacks" which Broncos fans said he would).

Glad to hear it. DIdn't know if you were getting saddle sore from your crusade :nana:

I am actually in agreement with you that I would have preferred Manuel this year to Orton. I will take exception to your bolded though. The part I thought EJ was lacking the most was the leadership. He appeared to be too timid and not take charge enough to succeed. His comments about learning this after seeing Kyle do it were encouraging for me. Some people learn by seeing while others learn by doing. Hopefully sitting has been good for EJ and we see the benefits of it next year. We as fans just don't know any of the dynamics surrounding the shift. It certainly seemed the receivers were upset with Manuel's accuracy during that Houston game. We have no idea what else was going on behind the scenes.

Agreed here. If EJ has picked up on how to truly command an offense instead of being a "nice guy" then we should see some improvement for next year.

Are you EJ or related to him? I swear to God that is the only way you can keep backing that worthless POS so hard. The kid will NEVER amount to **** in the NFL as a starter. He is a failed, bust of a first rounder. Just add him to the rest of the Trash the Bills have brought in at QB. I would rather just see him cut after the draft and be done with it

Are you EJ or related to him? I swear to God that is the only way you can keep backing that worthless POS so hard. The kid will NEVER amount to **** in the NFL as a starter. He is a failed, bust of a first rounder. Just add him to the rest of the Trash the Bills have brought in at QB. I would rather just see him cut after the draft and be done with it

U mad bro?

Seriously go on the record (with sarcasm Mr. Palmer) and tell us how you would turn it around.

I guarantee at 24, EJ is much further along in his career and way more mature. He got money, in the top 1% of his profession, and has a future. You're some dude who trashes a 24 year football player on a message board.

If EJ is a POS, what does that make you?

After a decade and a half of futility it might be understandable no? Did you expect an overnight turnaround from the string of Gailey 6-10s? As I posted earlier 9 seasons before Marrone got here was the last time the Bills had a winning record. 9! This guy though doesn't get his 3 years though because "fans" have had enough?

When did 2 years of Whaley (and 3 with Nix) become overnight?

I suppose if they play to earn a paycheck, make the fans feel all warm and fuzzy, and lose close games they've appealed quite well to some. I tend to believe it's somewhat important to win as quickly as possible.

The Cardinals have stunk, got better (under Kurt Warner) stunk, and now are the top seed in the NFC. Yet it's acceptable for the Bills to bumble along to another non-playoff season.

Yes, we all thought 8-8 would be awesome before the season began. But then we saw the defense. An honest-to-God, NFL defense, one of the best in the league. Maroon and Hack-It have squandered that, with a bad offense. If, as you say, the QB sucks, why was Hack-It having him throw it all over the lot even when we weren't behind? We had 16 runs yesterday, SIXTEEN!!!! Yeah, I know we were down 21-3 in the 3rd quarter, but you have to mix in a running play every now and then, especially when Orton is only throwing 3-5 yards upfield anyway. I think Maroon has taken chicken salad and turned it into chicken caca. I will not shed a tear when he's fired at the end of the year.

Edited by Fred Jackson Jockstrap

Is too much to ask for our football team to win a meaningful game? Is it too much to ask for our franchise to turn things around in a faster manner than the past? Every year some teams turn it around. Cards, redskins 2012, panthers 2013. Seattle. Yet according to some, the bills are coming along just fine.

Tell u what section, I would get rid of hughes, orton would be backup at best, i would sign the best ol free agent available, i would sign the best available free agent qb, i would get rid of mckelvin. I would get rid of spiller.

That means i would have upgraded on oline, gotten the best available qb, and would have gotten rid of big time losers and chokers like mcluvin, countdown to 2000 spiller and mr attitude jerry hughes.

Is that good enough for ya????

Don't think anyone is on the ledge. This game went the way most thought it would. Defense played well enough to win and held a high scoring Bronco team to 24 points, offense looked inept most of the day.

Can't sustain drives, can't score points, can't win with 17 points a game. Bills have been held to 17 points or less 7 times this year and are 2-5 in those games. Gotta score points in this league to win.

Man what happened to you? I hope all is well with you and yours but you have just been on a serious crusade the last few weeks. We get it you didn't like the move to Orton. You don't see any difference between this team and Jauron or Gailey? Seriously?

Right?

It's sad to see.

When did 2 years of Whaley (and 3 with Nix) become overnight? I suppose if they play to earn a paycheck, make the fans feel all warm and fuzzy, and lose close games they've appealed quite well to some. I tend to believe it's somewhat important to win as quickly as possible. The Cardinals have stunk, got better (under Kurt Warner) stunk, and now are the top seed in the NFC. Yet it's acceptable for the Bills to bumble along to another non-playoff season.

I think you found the answer on accident. The Cards stunk, got Warner and got good, Lost Warner and stunk again, Got Carson Palmer and were good again, lost Palmer and stink again. As for your overnight comment 2 years in the NFL is over night. Pretty much every coach gets at least 3 years. Especially ones that have shown progress.

Is too much to ask for our football team to win a meaningful game? Is it too much to ask for our franchise to turn things around in a faster manner than the past? Every year some teams turn it around. Cards, redskins 2012, panthers 2013. Seattle. Yet according to some, the bills are coming along just fine. Tell u what section, I would get rid of hughes, orton would be backup at best, i would sign the best ol free agent available, i would sign the best available free agent qb, i would get rid of mckelvin. I would get rid of spiller. That means i would have upgraded on oline, gotten the best available qb, and would have gotten rid of big time losers and chokers like mcluvin, countdown to 2000 spiller and mr attitude jerry hughes. Is that good enough for ya????

Oh the mythical sign the best ol free agent available and the best free agent qb. Also cut a player under a good contract who was playing well, not resign a player from the strength of our team. So let's see... you haven't named names (please do what miracle qb is available this year?), you have made our secondary worse, and made our d-line worse. Gee can I be your campaign manager for GM? It's almost like it isn't easy to just snap your fingers and fix your holes....

I love the teams you listed too for turn arounds.

The Cards - got Carson Palmer. Also want to mention that this team was 8-8 just 2 years prior to Arians coming on board and had been to the playoffs 4 years prior, the super bowl 5 years prior. Yup they were certainly the same mess that the Bills were

Redskins 2012 - one year is all you want? They are hot garbage and have been since that one winning streak amazingly enough it was during the only hot streak of rg3's career. I hope you have higher hopes for the Bills of building a long term winner. Since that "turnaround" the Redskins are 6-23. What a turnaround!

Panthers 2013 - the team with the #1 pick at QB? (are you starting to sense a trend here?). The same one that is 4-8-1 this year? What a turnaround!

Seahawks - the team with Russell Wilson? The team that had the #1 ranked defense in all of football last year? Hey guess what they went 7-9 in each of Carrols first 2 years. The 'hawks should have fired him!!!

Edited by section122