Doug Marrone: Jerry Hughes Wasn't Disciplined by Me

Several of them were trying to get a jump on the snap. Mario and Kyle and Dareus have had their share of those, too. One was for congratulating a teammate.

He clearly has had too many though.

That said, do you take his overall play snap after snap after snap as a trade off? I would every single time. I think every head coach and DC would (which is why this thread exists). I guarantee some team or multiple teams offer him 10m a year to get so many penalties because they surely will know he got them before making their offer.

Agree, but he seems like a loose cannon. A player that will hurt the team at crucial times. And didnt he argue with the coach early in the year????

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Screw hughes. Dude has 12 penalties this year.....his job is to attack the qb. How does a player at his position have 12 penalties?...

Are you kidding me? With his QB pressures and sack production over the last two seasons you accept the penalties that come. The PFs have to be cut down, but come on!

I smell a Mike Rodhack exclusive on this one to stir the pot up.

EXAMPLE:

Mike Rodak 2s @MikeRodak

Jerry Hughes said he will practice hard all week and be on scout team if needed. Had no comment on why Marrone may have benched him.

It's a perfect angle for him to speculate, cast blame, cast doubt and make a click or two.

I guarantee some team or multiple teams offer him 10m a year to get so many penalties because they surely will know he got them before making their offer.

The Seahawks will make a run at him I would think. Of all of our FAs this year, Jerry is the ONE we MUST keep IMHO. Whatever it takes even if that means firing Coach Moron.

But Marrone specifically said I thought he should sit a little while and calm down. That was the reason they took him out, not the running of the Broncos. Plus, not only has Hughes been very good against the run this year but it happened before it became so clear that the Broncos were not going to pass very much.

At 1st a sit down to calm down.... Later other reasons came into play (potentially). That's the type of thinking I was respecting on.

Hughes isn't going anywhere, PF's or not. But this team does preach and impose accountability. And this defense is above being "held hostage" by one player screwing up on game day. This defense also has some noteworthy depth. Lot's of factors there.

Agree, but he seems like a loose cannon. A player that will hurt the team at crucial times. And didnt he argue with the coach early in the year????

Not really. That was wayyyyyyyyyyy overblown. The Bills were fighting each other, a scrap in practice. A lot of the players were cheering it, including Hughes. He had a quote in the paper saying that these things are part of training camp and implied it's all cool. Marrone is a coach who hates fights of any kind. Some coaches don't mind when their players show competitive spirit like that. Marrone then told the team that he doesn't like fights and they are intolerable. The very next day there was a fight. Hughes was not involved in it but yelled "Yeah!!" or something to that affect. Marrone yelled at him, not the guys fighting, and Hughes said something back. Marrone questioned whether Hughes wanted to be on the team. Then they kissed and made up in public and private.

They know he's a hothead. His played has clearly outweighed it. Lee Smith does it all the time too and he is not benched. So does Bradham. So does Pears.

Or... maybe the coaches identified that Peyton Manning was simply not going to allow any of our defensive linemen to touch him. The ball was coming out of his hand on the rare occasions when he decided to pass the ball within 2 seconds.

In fact, the defensive formations were more or less pleading with Manning to run the ball, which is exactly what he decided to do. For the most part that plan worked, as the defense kept the Broncos' offense in check. Alas, the whiffed tackle by A. Williams on the long Thompson run and the poor officiating on the part of the refs further aided the Broncos' offense and led to the 3 TDs they scored.

I really think Hughes' playing time is a non-issue. I guarantee he sees ample snaps next week against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.

I hear you but the reason Thompson broke that long run, and the reason why the Broncos moved the ball in the second and third quarter for 10 points, was because they ran RIGHT at Lawson the moment Hughes was out. Lawson, despite the hype some have on here for him, is NOT better than Hughes against the run and the Donkeys knew it. That's why they went right at him.

Then, when Hughes came back in late in the third, the big runs stopped. It wasn't a coincidence.

When the all-22 comes out tomorrow watch Lawson get absolutely mauled on Thompson's run... Lawson got abused.

Not really. That was wayyyyyyyyyyy overblown. The Bills were fighting each other, a scrap in practice. A lot of the players were cheering it, including Hughes. He had a quote in the paper saying that these things are part of training camp and implied it's all cool. Marrone is a coach who hates fights of any kind. Some coaches don't mind when their players show competitive spirit like that. Marrone then told the team that he doesn't like fights and they are intolerable. The very next day there was a fight. Hughes was not involved in it but yelled "Yeah!!" or something to that affect. Marrone yelled at him, not the guys fighting, and Hughes said something back. Marrone questioned whether Hughes wanted to be on the team. Then they kissed and made up in public and private.

They know he's a hothead. His played has clearly outweighed it. Lee Smith does it all the time too and he is not benched. So does Bradham. So does Pears.

Who is this lee smith and pears you are talking about?

All that said - I am not sure we missed Hughes - with the exception of the opening drive in the 3rd Quarter the defense did not really miss a beat while he was not in there. That first drive of the 3rd Quarter has two big runs and two nice passes - not sure if Hughes would have made a difference - but he did play in the 4th Quarter - maybe they wanted to see what the defense will look like next year when Hughes tests the free agency market and hits the jackpot

Who is this lee smith and pears you are talking about?

Players that should not be on the field between the whistles in order to even be in position to do something stupid after the whistles.

All that said - I am not sure we missed Hughes - with the exception of the opening drive in the 3rd Quarter the defense did not really miss a beat while he was not in there. That first drive of the 3rd Quarter has two big runs and two nice passes - not sure if Hughes would have made a difference - but he did play in the 4th Quarter - maybe they wanted to see what the defense will look like next year when Hughes tests the free agency market and hits the jackpot

The big play/run was right where Hughes would be playing and his replacement Lawson, as Mister Greggy so eloquently pointed out, was abused.

They certainly missed him on the 47 yard run when Lawson got handled: http://www.nfl.com/v...son-47-yard-run

I hear you but the reason Thompson broke that long run, and the reason why the Broncos moved the ball in the second and third quarter for 10 points, was because they ran RIGHT at Lawson the moment Hughes was out. Lawson, despite the hype some have on here for him, is NOT better than Hughes against the run and the Donkeys knew it. That's why they went right at him.

Then, when Hughes came back in late in the third, the big runs stopped. It wasn't a coincidence.

When the all-22 comes out tomorrow watch Lawson get absolutely mauled on Thompson's run... Lawson got abused.

Don't be surprised if Bradham ends up looking worse than Lawson on that particular play. He got pinched something fierce on that play. Looked entirely out of position. I counted three bad plays on that one: Lawson's, Bradham's, and A Williams'.

EDIT: Just saw 26CornerBlitz' link to the video. I wish I knew what Schwartz had called there. Lawson lost outside contain to be sure, but I'm not sure about Bradham.

Oh, and someone needs to tell Gannon that A Williams didn't miss him in the backfield. He missed him well past the LOS.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Don't be surprised if Bradham ends up looking worse than Lawson on that particular play. He got pinched something fierce on that play. Looked entirely out of position. I counted three bad plays on that one: Lawson's, Bradham's, and A Williams'.

GO BILLS!!!

they did not fit it up properly.

GO BILLS!!!

Bradham wasn't great on that play but he was the best player on the Bills defense yesterday. He was all over the field.

they did not fit it up properly.

Thanks, Wanny!

GO BILLS!!!

Bradham wasn't great on that play but he was the best player on the Bills defense yesterday. He was all over the field.

Bradham's been very consistent all year for sure. His lights went on this season.

GO BILLS!!!

Bradham's been very consistent all year for sure. His lights went on this season.

GO BILLS!!!

Agree completely. I love the guy. Best hitter on the team and absolutely fearless. I hope the guy's a productive Bill for a long, long, time. It's such a welcome change to have competent linebackers once again. I still wake up sometimes with night terrors of Keith Ellison. :sick: