Doug Marrone: Jerry Hughes Wasn't Disciplined by Me

Doug Marrone: Jerry Hughes wasn't disciplined by me

Starting Buffalo Bills defensive end Jerry Hughes barely saw the field in Sunday's 24-17 loss to the Denver Broncos after he was flagged for a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the second quarter.

If his dip in playing time after the call was discipline related, it didn't come from coach Doug Marrone.

"I wasn't aware of any substitutional issue," Marrone said after the game. "It was definitely not a discipline thing, at least from my end, from what I was talking about. I'm trying to manage the whole game. I'd have to go back and talk to the defensive coaches."

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't stand quotes like that. As if he really didn't know why one of our best players wasn't playing. Do our coaches always have to pretend like they are so focused that they are unaware of basic crap that is going on? It's like when Gailey or jauron (can't recall which) used to pretend like they didn't know who they played next. It just makes them look foolish when they don't know what is going on.

Then he needs to order him in the game.

Marrone brags he is in control,of all three phases of the game. He says all plays on offense and defense go through me. He's the coach. I really doubt that Schwartz would have benched him. It's possible but I doubt it.

Someone made the call to bench Hughes.

I didn't see the penalty, but sometimes that is the tradeoff of having a player that plays like jerry. He plays with a ton of energy and that is going to carry over after the play sometimes.

I personally think it is a great idea to bench a guy in the biggest game of the season who happens to be one of our best players and a looming free agent. It creates nice leverage for the bills.

Hughes was on the field in the early third, at least for one play as this video proves:

Still didn't see much of him in the third. Don't know if that's on me or if his snaps were really limited.

That still leaves a full quarter unaccounted for. Abd seemingly very light reps for a second quarter

Hughes was on the field in the early third, at least for one play as this video proves:

Still didn't see much of him in the third. Don't know if that's on me or if his snaps were really limited.

The guys on the radio said he was in for one series or a couple plays. But then out again.

The guys on the radio said he was in for one series or a couple plays. But then out again.

I smell an answer coming -

"We took jerry out for a drive or two to cool down, then simply following normal rotations he was scheduled to be out part of the third"

And then never speak of it again

Edited by NoSaint

Marrone clearly knew what was happening he is just skirting responsibility for the decision through the media. That is some petty stuff that makes your players lose respect for you.

How do you not know if one of your best players and playmakers is on the field or not, and what the reason is. That answer was bull ****.

and if he did, do you doubt that Marrone would notice his absence and maybe question it?

Exactly. That's all on Marrone no matter what. It's impossible for me to believe that Schwartz, knowing the kind of guy he is, or Pepper Johnson, would try to bench Jerry Hughes to make a statement. It makes zero sense. Even if that happened, which I would bet against, Marrone should order him in. It's the biggest game of the season. Against Peyton Manning. And ONE penalty we never saw after a play.

Edited by Kelly the Dog