The best defense in franchise history?

finn

This defense, with this coordinator and this personnel, may be the best the Bills have ever had, maybe one of the best the NFL has seen in recent years. This view might be a consensus if they didn't have one of the worst offenses the Bills have ever fielded. With a competent offense (and coordinator) doing its part--making third downs, scoring in the red zone, giving the defense a rest and a lead so they could really be aggressive--these Bills would be ranked with the '85 Bears. The line, the linebackers, the safeties are all excellent, and the corners are above average.

Am I wrong?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love they way they play, but I don't think it is the best defense in Bills history, let alone in recent NFL history. Of course, part of that is becasue the rules have changed so much in recent years, that defending the pass is almost impossible... while they are certainly very, very good, not sure they are as good as the Ravens defenses from their Super Bowl seasons. They certainly can turn it on when they want to..but to be one of the very best of all-time, in my book, they would have to eliminate some of the lapses they have game in game out. Every team has them, true...I would say the only game they dominated this season, from start to finish, was the Jets game in Detroit.

Love they way they play, but I don't think it is the best defense in Bills history, let alone in recent NFL history. Of course, part of that is becasue the rules have changed so much in recent years, that defending the pass is almost impossible... while they are certainly very, very good, not sure they are as good as the Ravens defenses from their Super Bowl seasons. They certainly can turn it on when they want to..but to be one of the very best of all-time, in my book, they would have to eliminate some of the lapses they have game in game out. Every team has them, true...I would say the only game they dominated this season, from start to finish, was the Jets game in Detroit.

The Bills '99 D was pretty nasty! The 64-65 AFL Championship defensive teams were lights out.

I think they're the best defense in the franchise's history. They're better than our 2004 defense and our defense of the Superbowl years imo. I don't know much about the 64-65 team so I can't compare.

Then take it from those that do. While this defense can pressure the QB with their front 4, it's not a dominant, shut down defense that's guaranteed to get you a stop when you absolutely need it. And until we shut down a truly good QB, I won't be convinced otherwise.

The '64 and '65 defenses were absolutely dominant in every phase.

GO BILLS!!!

What defense has this franchise had that shut down Rodgers, Brady, and Manning?

The 2014 D not only didn't shut down Brady, but they allowed the Patsies to score on every 2nd half possession. They had no answer.

They haven't faced Manning and Rodgers yet, but of course we'll see how they fare in the next two weeks.

This defense, with this coordinator and this personnel, may be the best the Bills have ever had, maybe one of the best the NFL has seen in recent years. This view might be a consensus if they didn't have one of the worst offenses the Bills have ever fielded. With a competent offense (and coordinator) doing its part--making third downs, scoring in the red zone, giving the defense a rest and a lead so they could really be aggressive--these Bills would be ranked with the '85 Bears. The line, the linebackers, the safeties are all excellent, and the corners are above average.

Am I wrong?

Yes, but I love the enthusiasm. The Bills D in 98-99 was very dominant. I can't say how well the D was during the AFL Chsmpionship days as I wasn't around for that.

Am I wrong?

Let's talk after Manning, Rodgers, Brady.

The 2014 D not only didn't shut down Brady, but they allowed the Patsies to score on every 2nd half possession. They had no answer.

They haven't faced Manning and Rodgers yet, but of course we'll see how they fare in the next two weeks.

What I was asking was, why does the defense have to shut down those 3 QBs to be the best defense we've ever had? What other Bills defense could shut down those 3 QBs?

Let's talk after Manning, Rodgers, Brady.

Exactly. I love the enthusiasm, but let's see how they shake out after playing three of the best QBs the last decade.

Granted, those three seem to neutralize great defenses on a weekly basis, but if they're really the best, lets see them go up against the best.

What I was asking was, why does the defense have to shut down those 3 QBs to be the best defense we've ever had? What other Bills defense could shut down those 3 QBs?

This season, I believe that only the Bills and Dolphins will play against all three of them.

Why shouldn't they? If they're really the best, they should play and beat the best. Isn't that how it works?

It's definitely a very tall order. I get these three are probably right up there in the top 3-5-7 QBs ever, and with rule changes, preparation, etc its tough to compare eras. But there's always been great QBs, and Bills defenses in the past have had to play them.

At this point, I hate to say it, but I'm not convinced we have it in us to play well against elite QBs. Fourteen years is a B word.