Forward pass ruling

SouthernMan

That's not the point, he meekly walked off of the field in acceptance of the call because he knew it was a fumble.

So what? The officials are supposed to consider how the players react after the play when reviewing a call?

Should the officials ask for the players opinion?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I'm reading a truncated explanation of the rule on the nfl.com sight, but I didn't see that in the definition. Here's the quote:

Anyway, it's about as moot a point as can be made.

GO BILLS!!!

It is indeed moot...but since I'm pedantic enough to care, yes, that's a truncated version. Here's the full one:

http://static.nfl.co...Pass_Fumble.pdf

Relevant text is under Section 2 (Intentional Grounding), Article 1, Item 2, "Physical Contact".

Basically, if the QB initiates a throwing motion toward an eligible receiver, and the throw is altered by contact with another player, it's NOT IG.

Last post on this because it's clear that I won't change your mind and you won't change mine but you have to admit that it is far, far from obvious that he is following through on his throwing motion when he is initially hit by KW. It is just as plausible (in my mind much more likely) that he is trying to bring the ball back into his body to protect from a fumble. It's obviously a relatively close play. The key is how it's called on the field. It's not supposed to be a de novo review. It was ruled on the field as a fumble. If the ref was following normal protocol it should have been affirmed. For whatever reason, maybe he forgot the tuck rule had been changed, he blew the call.

That's kind of the point.

If the was no irrefutable evidence as the poster states (as many here are claiming), then the official could have just as easily stated the play stands as called.

Ok, simple question.

What made the official change the call?

It is indeed moot...but since I'm pedantic enough to care, yes, that's a truncated version. Here's the full one:

http://static.nfl.co...Pass_Fumble.pdf

Relevant text is under Section 2 (Intentional Grounding), Article 1, Item 2, "Physical Contact".

Basically, if the QB initiates a throwing motion toward an eligible receiver, and the throw is altered by contact with another player, it's NOT IG.

Thanks for the edification. Truly appreciated.

Can I harp upon the notion that Kyle Williams was the only eligible receiver anywhere near the vicinity?

GO BILLS!!!

If the was no irrefutable evidence as the poster states (as many here are claiming), then the official could have just as easily stated the play stands as called.

Ok, simple question.

They're saying the official botched the call and you're saying the official couldn't have botched the call because the official made the call. It's the most transparently circular arguments I've seen in some time.

Once again, not the point.

Whether or not Johnny felt it was fumble is irrelevant in determining if the play call is correct.

Cause that what it appears you are implying.

If Johnny says it was a fumble, then it must a fumble. Case closed.

All those pesky incompetent officials are wrong.

Yeah, we should believe how a "rookie" reacts to a play as a basis in determining the correct play call.

Whether or not Johnny felt it was fumble is irrelevant in determining if the play call is correct.

Yeah, we should believe how a "rookie" reacts to a play as a basis in determining the correct play call.

Manziel knows what his intentions were is the point since you're incapable of figuring it out.

OK, one more in regard to Manziel's post-game reaction. Doesn't that end the speculation of whether he was trying to throw the ball or bring it back into his body? He said it was a fumble. HE SAID HE WAS TRYING TO BRING IT BACK TO HIS BODY!! That's relevant - maybe not to the ref's ultimate call, but it's relevant to this discussion as proof that the ref blew the call.

This was my problem too. Had Marrone been forced to challenge (presumably after watching the replay and saying "are you f'n kidding me?") And the refs wouldn't overturn it that would be one thing. Reversing a call on the field that the replay expert thought was cut and dry...

It wouldn't annoy me as much if we didn't hear so much about JF's one decent drive

This. THIS. I question the overrule - I don't see where the evidence supported the overturn. It's the sort of thing that makes me wonder if the ref had $$ on the outcome in Fantasy or something.

But I'd shrug and say "meh, we won!" if the media weren't all over Manziel for his one good drive and not all over watching him get shoved down and fumble. "Welcome to the NFL, Rook!"

OK, one more in regard to Manziel's post-game reaction. Doesn't that end the speculation of whether he was trying to throw the ball or bring it back into his body? He said it was a fumble. HE SAID HE WAS TRYING TO BRING IT BACK TO HIS BODY!! That's relevant - maybe not to the ref's ultimate call, but it's relevant to this discussion as proof that the ref blew the call.

Ding!

Ok, simple question.

Um, that's kind of what we all want to know? Where is the irrefutable evidence that made the official change the call? Show us the tape and we'll all go "oh, OK".

Players usually give themselves the benefit of the doubt. The point you appear to be missing is that if the player making the play (Manziel) felt he had pulled the ball back in and believed it was a fumble, it reinforces what we all saw on film, and makes it even harder to understand where is the clear evidence to overrule.

What's your opinion of the tuck rule call that enabled Brady to reach his first SB?

At the time, I hated it.

However, since then, I have come to realize, it was the correct call.

I can hate the result of it, but the call was correct.

At the time, I hated it.

However, since then, I have come to realize, it was the correct call.

I can hate the result of it, but the call was correct.

Actually it was a horrible call. In plain English all the tuck rule said if the QB baled on a pass but the ball slipped out of his hand as part of that throwing motion then it would not be considered a fumble.

Brady brought the ball back to his body and even put his other hand on it before fumbling. The call was beyond bad.

Thanks for the edification. Truly appreciated.

Can I harp upon the notion that Kyle Williams was the only eligible receiver anywhere near the vicinity?

GO BILLS!!!

Harp away good sir.

PS Kyle Williams with the play of the game in sacking Hoyer and taking Cleveland out of FG range. Changed the entire game.