Official 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' thread

Just Jack

I thought about that too. The 20th Century Fox drumroll/fanfare was a perfect lead up to the Star Wars splash

I'm not even sure how long it took for me to realize that the Fox stuff wasn't actually Star Wars music. It fit so perfectly. At least we didn't get that Disney logo to start the whole thing off.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw the movie. Loved it. Thank the gods they didn't overdid things with CGI, this film vindicates real movie sets and extras.

I have no complains with the characters and/or their relations, though I'm intrigued with Ren's master.

Just saw it today in 3D in a dine-in AMC theater at Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney), which was a pretty cool experience. I liked it but it was essentially a rehashing of the first 3 movies.

Edited by Doc

According to an x-wing pilot, actor of course, and close friend of JJ Abrams, after reading the script for Episode VIII Abrams said he really wished he didn't pass on the opportunity to direct the next Star Wars movie. It would've been great, but I'm not worried at all about the next director. Rian Johnson directed one of the best tv episodes to ever grace the television. And that episode was Ozymandias - Breaking Bad. It's the one where Hank is killed off. The episode was very emotional, dramatic and well paced. W/ the script possibly being a what the heck was I thinking by JJ Abrams and a know how to deliver director, I'm pumped for Episode VIII.

I'm surprised no one has asked why Rey is speaking in a British accent.

Rey was kidnapped when she was little by a bounty hunter from the original british colony in Luna (Moon) but with time they became very colose and she then saw him as a father figure. He became his teacher in the art of battle.

Rey is smoking hot, btw.

.....Or maybe old Ben Kenobi had a piece on the side

She's way too young for that to be the case. The bigger question is....why does she seem pre-trained? She can understand BB-8 and Wookie...is an expert pilot...expert fighter...adapts to the Force like never seen before. How did she even think of using mind control, let alone using the exact method that the masters have shown in prior movies. My guess is that Ray has had her memory wiped/altered.

She's way too young for that to be the case. The bigger question is....why does she seem pre-trained? She can understand BB-8 and Wookie...is an expert pilot...expert fighter...adapts to the Force like never seen before. How did she even think of using mind control, let alone using the exact method that the masters have shown in prior movies. My guess is that Ray has had her memory wiped/altered.

Which makes sense (and is my pet theory as well) if she's

Luke's daughter. They trained Jedis young and she was at least 8 when she was sent away. That kind of fits with Kylo's timeline of rebelling against Luke too. Luke was training his daughter and nephew in the ways of the force (and maybe others), Kylo turns, Luke fears his daughter (or other students if she's not his kid) will be seduced by the dark side as well so he wipes her memory and sends her away from the new order.

Edited by Deranged Rhino

Which makes sense (and is my pet theory as well) if she's

Luke's daughter. They trained Jedis young and she was at least 8 when she was sent away. That kind of fits with Kylo's timeline of rebelling against Luke too. Luke was training his daughter and nephew in the ways of the force (and maybe others), Kylo turns, Luke fears his daughter (or other students if she's not his kid) will be seduced by the dark side as well so he wipes her memory and sends her away from the new order.

Or maybe

She's not related to anyone.

The Force has awakened and chose her, just as it had chosen some other random slave kid on a desert planet

Or maybe

She's not related to anyone.

The Force has awakened and chose her, just as it had chosen some other random slave kid on a desert planet

The force "chose" Anakin because he had such a high midochlorian count, probably because he was created BY midochlorian manipulation. Edited by sodbuster

Rey was kidnapped when she was little by a bounty hunter from the original british colony in Luna (Moon) but with time they became very colose and she then saw him as a father figure. He became his teacher in the art of battle.

Rey is smoking hot, btw.

It's obvious that I invented the first parragraph. :D

Daisy Ridley is still smoking hot, though.

The force "chose" Anakin because he had such a high midochlorian count, probably because he was created BY midochlorian manipulation.

I think that midichlorians or wtv that is should be removed from all Star Wars history.

I think that midichlorians or wtv that is should be removed from all Star Wars history.

The good thing about that is if you watch Star Wars in "machete" order it eliminates most of the mentions of midichlorians.

Machete order is:

Get rid of episode 1 as it actually makes no sense and adds nothing to the story. Use episodes 2 and 3 for back story after you learn that Vadar is Luke's father.

The good thing about that is if you watch Star Wars in "machete" order it eliminates most of the mentions of midichlorians.

Machete order is:

Get rid of episode 1 as it actually makes no sense and adds nothing to the story. Use episodes 2 and 3 for back story after you learn that Vadar is Luke's father.

I refuse to ever watch ep 1,2,3 ever again.

Never happened. Memory has been wiped.

Episode III was tolerable, but that's because of the lowered expectations from the other two.

But yeah, the prequel trilogy was like that Stargate SG1 episode that was set a few years into the future after befriending an advanced human race called the Ashen, who it turns out had nefarious plans for Earth. So the team used the Gate and a sunspot to send a note back in time and warn their past selves.

So all that other stuff, meh never happened

Ah, but according to George Lucas Disney butchered the franchise.

I guess no one had the courage to tell him that episodes 1-3 rank among the worst in movie making history, especially when you look at the dollars that went into them.

I guess no one had the courage to tell him that episodes 1-3 rank among the worst in movie making history, especially when you look at the dollars that went into them.

Ep 1 was brutal

Ep 2 was barely acceptable

Ep 3 was actually decent

Ep 7 was a Star Wars movie

That's the best way I can describe them

I re-watched episodes 1-3 and they weren't as bad as I remember. The overall plot was actually good; if you focus on each character's story and motivation.

What made it horrible was the acting and throwaway characters. Natalie Portman forgot how to act; along with Samuel L Jackson. The dialogue was cringe-worthy. Liam Neeson was the only one able to sell his lines (even about Midechlorians.)

-episode 1 best lighsaber battle of the series

-episode 2 Natalie Portman's outfits. Yoda

-episode 3 less witty banter, finally connecting to the originals.

I think Lucas focused too much on his overall vision (which gets lost on audiences when the movies are years apart) and neglected the characters. (and actor performances)

Is it me or does Rey look a lot like Keira Knightley? (who looked a lot like Natalie Portman)

Episodes I, II, and III were actually closer to what Lucas had envisioned back in the 70s but the studio wouldn't fund him. I recall watching an interview with Richard Dreyfus, a friend of Lucas, who recalled Lucas back in the 70s lamenting that he made a kids movie

I think we had a thread a while back where I made the same point. I think those three are at the top the list of the worst movies ever, given the expectations and the money that went into them.

That, and the dialogue is far worse than most B movies.

Well finally took my son in a blizzard this morning to see the movie, very few people ventured out so the theater Maybe had 20 people, very nice.

I loved it. It felt like star wars. As already stated it realllly pulled elements from ep.4 but has new characters and outcomes. It was nice to see new characters being built up to replace ones that will not be involved anymore.

I did like fin and reys storyline. My gut tells me Rey is Luke's daughter or was a child apprentice of his and he left her on jakku to protect her and hide her from everything, then he went into self imposed exile.

Obviously she will resume Jedi training going forward. Rey clearly has Jedi lineage. I might have missed it, but I almost think the voices in the one trailer of luke talking about the force, "and I have it, and you have it..." is for episode8. I did take a pee break so I might have missed it being said in this episode.

I don't see fin as having the force but see him more as like Han solo as being a strong regular guy type character who happens to find himself in the most important places in the galaxy.

I would love to know why Han solos son becomes obsessed with dark vader Wtf is that? Any theory to what happened

All in all very glad with how it turned out and it didn't disappoint me or make me mad at the franchise so I'm pretty happy. Will definitely have to watch it again for things I missed the first time.

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

Well finally took my son in a blizzard this morning to see the movie, very few people ventured out so the theater Maybe had 20 people, very nice.

I loved it. It felt like star wars. As already stated it realllly pulled elements from ep.4 but has new characters and outcomes. It was nice to see new characters being built up to replace ones that will not be involved anymore.

I did like fin and reys storyline. My gut tells me Rey is Luke's daughter or was a child apprentice of his and he left her on jakku to protect her and hide her from everything, then he went into self imposed exile.

Obviously she will resume Jedi training going forward. Rey clearly has Jedi lineage. I might have missed it, but I almost think the voices in the one trailer of luke talking about the force, "and I have it, and you have it..." is for episode8. I did take a pee break so I might have missed it being said in this episode.

I don't see fin as having the force but see him more as like Han solo as being a strong regular guy type character who happens to find himself in the most important places in the galaxy.

I would love to know why Han solos son becomes obsessed with dark vader Wtf is that? Any theory to what happened

All in all very glad with how it turned out and it didn't disappoint me or make me mad at the franchise so I'm pretty happy. Will definitely have to watch it again for things I missed the first time.

My guess is that Ben Solo was training under the assumption that he was going to be the next great leader of the Jedi......only to have Luke tell him he would not be.......that there was someone else..........so he kills all the other Jedi and goes to the dark side to try to change that destiny. Kind of the Pontius Pilate storyline.......which would explain why Rey is stashed on Jakku and why there is some old Jedi-sympathizer on that planet that has the missing piece of the puzzle regarding the whereabouts to Luke.

If true (and that's the way I'm leaning), Luke was smart not to give her the last name "Skywalker." :rolleyes:

What made it horrible was the acting and throwaway characters. Natalie Portman forgot how to act; along with Samuel L Jackson. The dialogue was cringe-worthy. Liam Neeson was the only one able to sell his lines (even about Midechlorians.)

And Hayden Christensen (who's not nearly as bad an actor as people think.) And Ewan McGregor was sub-par. And nostalgia blurs the memory of how poor the performances in general were in Episode 4 (speaking of forgetting how to act: Peter Cushing, anyone?), or how utterly cringe-worthy the dialog was ("corny" was how it was described by the cast; Carrie Fisher had to be stoned to deliver some of her lines).

All hallmarks of the writing and direction of George Lucas. Hell, the only reason Episode IV didn't suck was because didn't "write" or "direct" it as much as he did steal it, scene for scene, from Kurosawa Akira's The Hidden Fortress. (He even stole the damn wipe-cuts.)

And Hayden Christensen (who's not nearly as bad an actor as people think.) And Ewan McGregor was sub-par. And nostalgia blurs the memory of how poor the performances in general were in Episode 4 (speaking of forgetting how to act: Peter Cushing, anyone?), or how utterly cringe-worthy the dialog was ("corny" was how it was described by the cast; Carrie Fisher had to be stoned to deliver some of her lines).

All hallmarks of the writing and direction of George Lucas. Hell, the only reason Episode IV didn't suck was because didn't "write" or "direct" it as much as he did steal it, scene for scene, from Kurosawa Akira's The Hidden Fortress. (He even stole the damn wipe-cuts.)

Pretty much spot on.

Also stole a bunch from Flash Gordon, like the scrolling titles. Lucas originally wanted to do a remake for Flash Gordon but couldn't get the rights so he made his own "Flash Gordon".

One of the major reasons the prequels sucked was because Lucas clearly tried to make a character story but also have some sort of larger story/mystery going on. Meanwhile, the audience knows who the mystery villain is going in, so we basically feel like all the characters are morons for 3 movies.

And Anakin is written as a total ass from basically Episode 2 on, making his fall and whole character arc basically useless. I mean, was he even a good guy when he was adult? He was murdering woman and children, and we were supposed to be rooting for him as a good guy? Absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by FireChan

Pretty much spot on.

When I saw The Hidden Fortress, I was absolutely stunned at how much Lucas stole. He even stole the scene where Han chases the squad of Stormtroopers down the corridor.

Don't get me wrong, Star Wars (the original, theatrical release) is still one of my favorite movies. But Lucas is a grade-A hack, and a ****-ass storyteller (as he proved by not understanding why Han shoots first.)

One of the major reasons the prequels sucked was because Lucas clearly tried to make a character story but also have some sort of larger story/mystery going on. Meanwhile, the audience knows who the mystery villain is going in, so we basically feel like all the characters are morons for 3 movies.

And Anakin is written as a total ass from basically Episode 2 on, making his fall and whole character arc basically useless. I mean, was he even a good guy when he was adult? He was murdering woman and children, and we were supposed to be rooting for him as a good guy? Absolutely ridiculous.

Episode 1 is a complete waste. Spends way too long on characters that have absolutely no bearing on the story. Qui-Gon, Jar Jar, Watto, Darth Maul etc. and then gets rid of them or they don't appear again. Why does it matter that The Emperor had an apprentice before Count Dooku? The whole Episode 1 story is pointless. He could have started the story at Episode 2 and nothing would have changed. Do we really need to see pod racing for 40 minutes of the movie? Does anyone really care about Anakin as a child?

Lucas likes to say Star Wars is about Anakin. The problem is there is nothing exciting about Anakins story. He succumbs to massive temptation, thats basically it. IMO, Star Wars is about Luke. His story is more interesting than Anakins. Plus Episode 7 is just a continuation of Lukes story.

When I saw The Hidden Fortress, I was absolutely stunned at how much Lucas stole. He even stole the scene where Han chases the squad of Stormtroopers down the corridor.

Don't get me wrong, Star Wars (the original, theatrical release) is still one of my favorite movies. But Lucas is a grade-A hack, and a ****-ass storyteller (as he proved by not understanding why Han shoots first.)

He's the original Tarantino in that way. Though Tarantino is a far, far, faaaar better writer. I'd say director too but there could be an argument made for Lucas. George has more chops behind the camera than most give him credit for. His early stuff is really terrific. Coppola said something in an interview about wanting Lucas to take his $4 billion and start making the smaller, more experimental films that he started off doing. I'm not sure he'll actually do that, but if he does it'll be fun to see what he "borrows" from next.

Episode 1 is a complete waste. Spends way too long on characters that have absolutely no bearing on the story. Qui-Gon, Jar Jar, Watto, Darth Maul etc. and then gets rid of them or they don't appear again. Why does it matter that The Emperor had an apprentice before Count Dooku? The whole Episode 1 story is pointless. He could have started the story at Episode 2 and nothing would have changed. Do we really need to see pod racing for 40 minutes of the movie? Does anyone really care about Anakin as a child?

Lucas likes to say Star Wars is about Anakin. The problem is there is nothing exciting about Anakins story. He succumbs to massive temptation, thats basically it. IMO, Star Wars is about Luke. His story is more interesting than Anakins. Plus Episode 7 is just a continuation of Lukes story.

eew just eew. Thank God you are not a writer or reviewer. Anakin = Ben but I believe he will survive the Darkside and return unlike his Grandvader.