The Snow Gods have spoken, Build a Dome Stadium

HOUSE

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you? If you did you would recall that the total snowfall from the blizzard was 12 inches. It was the wind that caused the snowdrifts that left 29 people dead.

What about 2001? This type of storm, like the one that just happened, doesn't happen often, but they do come come every 10 years or so. October Surpise comes to mind. Yes, many are in the 3 to 4 foot range and this one was bigger... But you get my drift. Buffalo still holds the record for The Big Three (Syracuse, Erie, & BFLO) for the most snow... I think it was 1978 w/199 inches.

It all depends what the wind is doing & where the low is stalled. Just a little to the south of BFLO and they get about 145 average in the Boston Hills... That's AVERAGE. So what, the bands are stuck 10-15 miles north... Your assertion about doing things environmentally friendly 100 years ago would make things different now is down right silly. Quite a boogieman you've created... Don't we want this cooling and cold air? Lake temps have been down all year with last year's cold temps... Now that's bad. Geeze, make up your mind.

Yes, this storm is huge for places like Cheektowaga... BUT if the cold area keeps on coming, it can only produce snow (over a warm Lake) for so long. The "snow machine" eventually shuts off.

Anyway, all I said was to dump the figgan snow in The Upper Niagara and send it down The Falls...If they don't know what to do with it. Don't they have those fancy heated dump trucks in Toronto? Get a fleet of those and dump the melted snow.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

You clearly did not live in WNY in 1977.

The Blizzard of 77 was totally different. It actually only produce 14 inches of snow but it was the winds & the snow drifts from the snow on top of frozen lake erie that was causing the problems. This storm was way different. I lived in Lancaster & have lived here most of my life(except for the 4 years I went away to college @ Syracuse) & I have never seen anything like this. Even when we got that 8 feet of snow back in 01 it seemed liked that was more spread out. This was constant snow without a break for 48 hours. I think at points it was 4 inches per hour. I finally got to work today. The roads are great & my offices is in Amherst & you could see some grass when I pass Audobon golf course. They got nothing. Things are fine now(at least where I live) but there is a hell of a lot of snow to move. They are calling for temps in the 50's & 60's Sunday-Wednesday. I worry about people that are in flood prone areas that they are going to get flooded. People are going to have their laughs our expense again but after a few tough days life is starting to get back to normal. I would take this anyday over the flash floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, forest fires, mud slides etc... that disrupt some other parts of the country.

A dome on the entire County would be good :thumbsup:

It was never my intention to offend anyone here, if you like an open air stadium, so be it. It will cost a billion dollars for 5 months of use per season. That my friend is a total waste of Money. This is like buying a $100,000 Mercedes for use 3 hours on weekends only, SEPTEMBER thru DECEMBER

But we don't know who is paying for it yet. Might not be as much public money involved as people think. Even if there is a retractable roof that doesn't guarantee events year around. Have to have events interested in coming to use the place. Which gets into transportation infrastructure, hotel room availability, and entertainment options outside whatever the even would provide. I think, there will be public money involved, but it won't be public money for a stadium only. I think we see public money partly funding a stadium, infrastructure changes and an entertainment/retail district around the stadium. I think we see a new convention center. I think we see the subway taken off Main Street and put totally underground and expanded. I think we see Central Terminal brought back with train service. I think the Pegula's/Mayor/County Exec/Governor are going to use this stadium as the center piece for redevelopment of the downtown area.

I don't think we're really going to see a retractable roof stadium for the Bills. Just a hunch. I think too many people enjoy that outdoor exeprience. The Pegulas owns First Niagara? What events do they have there that they would want to have in a football stadium or that would draw significantly more people? I think what we see is a stadium where the seats are covered, but the field is open. Something like the old Cowboys stadium.

•  
    I love this idea in downtown Buffalo. This is also out of the snowbelt I grew up in the southtowns. I remember growing up in Buffalo, I'd be driving home from my college job at the Buffalo News going over the Father Baker bridge to a wall of snow.

Anyway, i just love the architecture of Lucas Oil, and if they worried about the weight of the snow that much, they either have a way for staff to get up there and remove, or you open the dome and deal with removal from the ground. As someone else, stated this is a once every 40 years issue and your not in the worst zone of the southtowns. That's my vote. For everyone who keeps saying $1 billion, Lucas Oil was just built a few years ago. They could also play UB games there like USF plays their games at Raymond James in Tampa.

The total cost of Lucas Oil Stadium was $720 million. The stadium is being financed with funds raised by the State of Indiana and the City of Indianapolis, with the Indianapolis Colts providing $100 million.
    nflcolt1d.jpg