you're favorite female vocalist.

Jim in Anchorage

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you ask for vocalist (which implies the singer as well as the singer's voice), it's Whitney Houston.

If you asked for favorite female singing voice, it has to be Barbra Streisand. It's the talking that makes her unbearable.

Absolutely Whitney Houston before the relationship with Bobby Brown destroyed her.

I'd include Alanis Morrisett if she had died after Jagged Little Pill and before she came out with her boring, pseudo-intellectual, emotionally empty follow up.

I also liked Sarah McLaughlin for about 10 minutes in the 90s before buying an album and becoming completely disenchanted with her music. Trivializing herself with the pathetically ironic Lilith Fair made it hard to respect her anyway.

Hey, Rob, explain. That is a pretty strong reaction. I will say, I may be biased, I worked on the Lilith Fair tour the summer of 1998 (had a blast), and had multiple encounters with McLachlan. She was one of the kindest people I have ever met, working in any facet of the music business. I always found her music a little dull (boring I might say!), but what made you become "disenchanted" with her music?

Hey, Rob, explain. That is a pretty strong reaction. I will say, I may be biased, I worked on the Lilith Fair tour the summer of 1998 (had a blast), and had multiple encounters with McLachlan. She was one of the kindest people I have ever met, working in any facet of the music business. I always found her music a little dull (boring I might say!), but what made you become "disenchanted" with her music?

When I bought the album I'd only heard two of her songs. They had kind of a darkness to them that I liked and I thought there might be more to her. After hearing the whole album I was no longer impressed.

And she may be a great person, but the whole concept of Lilith Fair was pretty contrived. There was a big to do about how women were finally breaking through after being kept off the charts because of misogyny :rolleyes: and now they were finally being acknowledged as musicians rather than *female musicians. So what do they do? They put every major female act that was popular at the time on one tour in some cheesy feminine celebration of music. They went from being independent musical artists to an adolescent girl power thing. They immediately put the female asterisk back into their collective image. I don't think it's a coincidence that every one of them fell off the map after that tour.

i meant to include Susan, glad someone picked up my slack, along with her you gotsta include bonnie raitt...couple old 80's singers would be Siouxsie Sioux & Allison Moyet of Yaz

Susan Tedeschi and Norah Jones

(Susan)

If you ask me as an old guy who I like from today's popular female vocalists -- it would be Lorde..