Should the Pegulas clean house...

When Marrone came in, he spoke about changing the culture on the team. The problem is he was only talking this concerning the players and coaches. The culture needs to change at the very top first and then on down from there, not just with the players on the team. The players need to sense that mangagemnt and ownership has a single goal. I think for years under the old guard this was not the case.I'm hopin that the Pegulas will chnge the culture of this team from the Top down.

All nice clichés, do you really believe that what they are trying to build now has negative connotations? Do you think that these guys are striving to lose? That is BS and you know it.

You just don't like them and you want them canned. Newsflash the next guy in line will say the same thing when he's at the podium, because after 14 years of no playoffs, if he says nothing you will be mad about it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, there's a lot of talent and skill in the organization. Get rid of the weaker parts.

Part of the problem went away when Ralph passed and his cling-on parasites like Littman left the picture. Those people were what was holding back the team. The healing is underway with the source of the infection cut out, but some pretty bad decisions of the past are still haunting the team.

Whaley is a gambler, thank heavens for that. The Watkins trade in 20 years will look either genius or foolish, mostly depending on whether he stays healthy. The EJ pick was Nix's and Whaley chose not to spend a high pick on a new QB after just a partial year of watching EJ. He effectively maneuvered to get a good backup, Orton, after apparently trying out everyone listed on that long post a little earlier and realizaing none of them would do. I think he tried hard to get help for the O line, with a second rounder who looks like a complete bust. Well, we've done worse on the O line. Remember Mike Williams, the flubby OT we picked 4th overall instead of Bryant McKinnie? Whaley made good moves with the RBs, bringing in replacements for Fred Jackson, who might have a year or two left, and Spiller, whom he expects to leave as a FA. I haven't seen much from either Dixon or Brown but when they get a decent call they do OK. The defense is mighty and will upgrade with Kiko's return.

I really have to agree with most fans that Hackett needs to go. The offense is holding back the team, and it was holding them back even before Spiller and Jackson were injured. If Marrone won't fire Hackett, fire Marrone too. Keep Schwartz if he'll stay, though I suspect he's expecting HC offers after this year. If Marrone is leaving, I'd say move up Schwartz if he wants to stay.

Unlikely Schwartz stays unless he is the new HC. I think he has a lot of money still coming from the Lions, and what the Bills pay is just deducted from that......I think it works that way. Schwartz is coaching here to stay in the hunt for another HC job......he nets nothing in terms of money........for another year yet I think as well. Perhaps somebody on this board knows the exact terms, I do not.

I agree Whaley is talented, but he needs a grey head to help get the right answers on the draft......Watkins is a stud, but, so is Kelvin Benjamin...picked at #27 or something like that. And other first round receivers doing really well also. Not sure the Watkins trade was true value.......especially when another QB is apparently necessary. I don't see a long term keeper at QB on the roster right now.

Edited by bigK14094

please no to Schwartz as HC

How quickly people forget that the couldn't win with all the talent he had in Detroit. They change coaches to a guy I thought was a deer in the headlights and suddenly they are 7-2.

Schwartz didn't just do poorly in Detroit... he had one of the all-time worst winning percentages in coaching HISTORY for a guy who lasted as long as he did (usually coaches don't get to stick around as long as he did when they win so little)

Edited by TheFunPolice

All nice clichés, do you really believe that what they are trying to build now has negative connotations? Do you think that these guys are striving to lose? That is BS and you know it.

You just don't like them and you want them canned. Newsflash the next guy in line will say the same thing when he's at the podium, because after 14 years of no playoffs, if he says nothing you will be mad about it.

Are you serious!! I do not think anybody is "striving to lose" but this is a failed organization, lousy drafts, lousy scouting, poor coaching, and no playoffs for 14 years. WHAT DONT YOU GET!!

Absolutely! The Bills need to start with new, top class personnel from team president to GM to coaching staff to trainers. It makes no sense to keep the people who have proven they aren't successful.

The Peter Principle is working in Buffalo. People have risen to their level of incompetence.

Absolutely! The Bills need to start with new, top class personnel from team president to GM to coaching staff to trainers. It makes no sense to keep the people who have proven they aren't successful.

The Peter Principle is working in Buffalo. People have risen to their level of incompetence.

^ This.

Where in my post do I say I think they are striving to lose? My post clearly says the problem with the culture on this team goes higher than the coaches and players. Under the Wilson era, I'm not so sure that winnin was always the number one goal. Sure, everyone wants to win, but not everyone makes that the top priority and does everything they can to make sure that this is a quality organization with the goal of winning. That's the culture problem I spoke of. My hope is that The Pegulas initiate this culture change

Where in my post do I say I think they are striving to lose? My post clearly says the problem with the culture on this team goes higher than the coaches and players. Under the Wilson era, I'm not so sure that winnin was always the number one goal. Sure, everyone wants to win, but not everyone makes that the top priority and does everything they can to make sure that this is a quality organization with the goal of winning. That's the culture problem I spoke of. My hope is that The Pegulas initiate this culture change

Ok, we established they don't want to lose, but now you're telling us winning for this FO and coaching staff is not their first priority, please tell us what their main priority is?

Ok, we established they don't want to lose, but now you're telling us winning for this FO and coaching staff is not their first priority, please tell us what their main priority is?

Fixxer, maybe I didn't phrase my point correctly. Maybe you need to re-read it, I'm not sure which but either way you didn't get what I was saying. I did not say these coaches don't want to win. I was pointing out that the culture in this organization has not placed winning as the number one priority in the past under the Wilson era. Marrone said he wants to change the culture. I merely pointed out that this culrure change needs to happen at the top and work down thruout the whole organization. This includes all aspects of this team. From the scouts to the money guys to the owners, etc.etc. Just because they want to win does not mean they have placed it as the number one goal. I think it's pretty obvious that the whole organization needs a culture change. The current culture is not one of winning. They haven't made the playoffs in 15 years for a reason. It's no accident. It takes time to change this. The Pegulas, I hope will do it.

Fixxer, maybe I didn't phrase my point correctly. Maybe you need to re-read it, I'm not sure which but either way you didn't get what I was saying. I did not say these coaches don't want to win. I was pointing out that the culture in this organization has not placed winning as the number one priority in the past under the Wilson era. Marrone said he wants to change the culture. I merely pointed out that this culrure change needs to happen at the top and work down thruout the whole organization. This includes all aspects of this team. From the scouts to the money guys to the owners, etc.etc. Just because they want to win does not mean they have placed it as the number one goal. I think it's pretty obvious that the whole organization needs a culture change. The current culture is not one of winning. They haven't made the playoffs in 15 years for a reason. It's no accident. It takes time to change this. The Pegulas, I hope will do it.

I still don't see how their priority is not winning but think of this

If Pegula gives Whaley resources to further improve scouting (that being, bringing more scouts or more money to that department) and asks Whaley to get more competition at QB and never rest until a QB is found.

Tells Whaley that he has the resources to re-sign Dareus and Hughes and other players.

Then tells Marrone to improve the offensive coordinator position and other coordinators as well. (O-line coach for example)

Would that not be a sign that the priority is winning?

Clean house = 0-16 record next season and probably a 3-13 record the year after next. .

Yea, that just might be the case if RW were still around and Russ Brandon was left to his own devices making all the football decisions like he has done.

Things have changed and the Bills are now owned by people who will not spare any expense on who they hire. I would expect a new senior adviser, and then a new president of football operations. After that a new HC with prior NFL experience, and a competent experienced NFL staff.

What the Bills have had under Dick Jauron- Chan Gailey- Doug Marrone is mediocre, relatively inexpensive maybe wannabe coaches. Those coaches hired inexpensive incompetent assistants who failed at just about everything they did. There were a few good ones that are long gone now tho.

Marrone's biggest failing is that he is so intent on helping his best bud Danny Crossman the special teams coach with extra coverage players active, and then an extra kicker to on the roster to kick the ball out of the end zone. Whats crazy is if he has the extra player on the roster just to kick it out of the end zone. Then why oh why does he have extra players active on special teams coverage's.

Meanwhile he is leaving his second year in the NFL offensive coordinator all by his lonesome to direct one of the worst offenses in the NFL, and the very worst offense in the red zone. The leagues worst offensive line when the HC is a supposed O line guru.

The Bills might currently be 5-5 at this point. But they are playing like a 6-10 team again this season.

I can't wait for the changes to some competent people in charge.

Great response, they are a failed organization!!! Since 1999!!!!

Not a chance they would get rid of Whaley. The guy has flipped a horrible roster and made team competitive. Yes, the team needs to be better in the redzone and the offensive line and QB are not good. At least the list is getting smaller.

I do believe Marrone will be asked to replace Hackett if no improvement takes place the next few weeks.