Beg, borrow, or steal but please get Cowher, or Dungy

rcatty

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't totally understand all this "the league has passed him by" talk re: Cowher. Sure, passing yardage totals are as high as ever, but aren't teams still winning by running the football?

In 2013 the Eagles and the consensus most innovative coach in the league ranked 4th in rushing attempts. In passing attempts, only 27th. The Seahawks were 2nd in rush attempts and 31st in pass attempts. They were both fine!

He also was more aggressive than I think people give him credit for. Here's where the Steelers ranked league-wide in 4th down conversion attempts during the years he was there:

2006 - 4

2005 - 22

2004 - 20

2003 - 5

2002 - 4

2001 - 23

2000 - 26

1999 - 3

1998 - 15

1997 - 12

1996 - 24

1995 - 7

1994 - 25

1993 - 7

1992 - 10

That's in the top half of the league 9 out of 15 years. Maybe most importantly, top-5 in three of his last five seasons (except for the two years, '04 and '05, they were trying not to let a young quarterback do too much.)

The guy made his bones in large part by putting together a good staff and putting players in a position to succeed, sometimes in outside-the-box ways (most famously, Kordell Stewart, Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle-El). If he's TP's dream guy - and he very well could be, given his esteem for Pittsburgh sports - I don't see why he can't still be successful.

I don't totally understand all this "the league has passed him by" talk re: Cowher. Sure, passing yardage totals are as high as ever, but aren't teams still winning by running the football?

In 2013 the Eagles and the consensus most innovative coach in the league ranked 4th in rushing attempts. In passing attempts, only 27th. The Seahawks were 2nd in rush attempts and 31st in pass attempts. They were both fine!

He also was more aggressive than I think people give him credit for. Here's where the Steelers ranked league-wide in 4th down conversion attempts during the years he was there:

2006 - 4

2005 - 22

2004 - 20

2003 - 5

2002 - 4

2001 - 23

2000 - 26

1999 - 3

1998 - 15

1997 - 12

1996 - 24

1995 - 7

1994 - 25

1993 - 7

1992 - 10

That's in the top half of the league 9 out of 15 years. Maybe most importantly, top-5 in three of his last five seasons (except for the two years, '04 and '05, they were trying not to let a young quarterback do too much.)

The guy made his bones in large part by putting together a good staff and putting players in a position to succeed, sometimes in outside-the-box ways (most famously, Kordell Stewart, Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle-El). If he's TP's dream guy - and he very well could be, given his esteem for Pittsburgh sports - I don't see why he can't still be successful.

Excellent post.

You guys are missing the point here!

It's not about Cowher or Dungy or any other specific name.

It's about universally recognizing that our coaching staff (put in place by Russ Brandon and company) is a joke, as per the norm.

REMEMBER: This is all a byproduct of the last ownership era. That era is over now.

Pegula will clean house and throw big money at a top talent. That is his first task as the new owner.

It all will start to change from there.

Stop approaching the same old Bills problems with the same old Bills thinking!

It's different now.

It's going to get better.

People keep pushing this stuff and I don't know where it comes from. I hope the Bills turn around under Pegula, but there is no history in his tenure as a professional sports owner that suggests this. Infact it is the opposite, one may consider him meddling. Scouting players on his own, "Ted black doesn't have a monopoly on hockey knowledge around here"

If you are going to change don't go half ass, put in a all Bills alumni staff, if your going to dream of past great coaches, than use past team members and make a frat party to end all frat parties, just remember if you can't cut the mustard, you can still lick the jar :w00t: :w00t: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The main thing is that they fire Marrone, he is not a NFL coach and the franchise is now an attractive job.We have talent/great fan base and a owner who has cash.

Lots of teams have owners with cash and many haven't won anything in years.

I just don't see any big name coach coming regardless of money without a QB. Andy Reid had a plan to get Alex Smith and saw a talented KC team. We have talent outside of QB, but we don't have a first round pick.

I see Pegula giving time to see how the coaching staff develop the team. Marrone willbe here next year, but Hackett will get sacrificed.

Please no. Both Cowher/Dungy and how they build and coach a football team is gone the way of the dinosaurs. It just won't work in today's NFL. And I highly doubt these guys change what the way they do things.

EDIT: Look for the next 'big thing' and hope Whaley can identify that person like he can identify draft talent and back up the bank truck.

I'm not a big fan of Dungy but I think you might be wrong about Cowher. Sure he's been away from coaching for a while but he has remained close to the game. He's not a stupig man.When he coached, he coached with passion, and he knew how to put quality assistents on his staff. Don't you think he has had time to study how today's game works? He is retired from coaching but he still has his mind on the game. Like a good coach, he is probably analyzing all aspects of today's game. The Bills have some very good pieces in place here. THey don't have the franchise quarterback, so who knows if he would find the Bills an ideal place to work. The positives are a new owner with big pockets and a will to win and a now stable franchise. The team is not moving. He has a potentially great defense here. He has some very good weapons at the skill positions on offense. The bills have hired subpar coaches for years. Hiring a guy like Cowher would give the Bills instant credibility. It would let everyone in this organization know that priority one is winning. It would be a signal to all potential free agents that this is a good place to play. THis team wants to be a winning organization. I would love a hire like this.

One would think if there was a quality QB here, that would be easy. None of those guys will want the gig with no first round pick next year. And the EJ/ Orton mess at QB.

Throw 8 mil at the chin as a GM and let him put it togehter may work though. I don't see any veteran coach wanting this mess for the next two years. This team is in neutral. its impossible to see Marrone on the sideline next year. he shows zero as a HC.

I don't think Gruden or Cowher will coach again! I think Marrone is terrible and a damn liar who doesn't follow thru on anything he says.

Also...I think the Bills are a very desirable destination for a coach! The roster is very strong needing a QB and a Guard...two Guards would be great. No first round pick and no QB are the only reasons a coach would worry. But not deal breakers. Pegula has money to spend and the franchise is now stable. Lots of coaches do well without a premier QB for example most recently...Arian's in Arizona, Reid in KC, Kelly in Philly, Rex Ryan a couple years ago with the Jets, Pettine in Cleveland, and Miami...everyone in week two and previous years said Tannehill was crap. So a premiere QB isn't necessary to get a good coach...it helps.

But, I think the Buffalo situation with the stability, money, talent,top 5 defense and tons of high round talent, cap room and players in their prime is a desired destination.

We will have to wait and see if top talent or proven HCs want to come here when the HC position is open. Hopefully we find out this off season!

The future is bright with this team and also hope Whaley is apart of it. He has done soooo many things well to great! Not securing a QB or a back up plan is an error....but not all new GMs do everything right the first time. He will fix the QB issue and learn from it.

Go Bills!

I just don't see any big name coach coming regardless of money without a QB. Andy Reid had a plan to get Alex Smith and saw a talented KC team. We have talent outside of QB, but we don't have a first round pick.

I see Pegula giving time to see how the coaching staff develop the team. Marrone willbe here next year, but Hackett will get sacrificed.

What is the difference between Reid and KC and the Bills. There are other Alex Smith's to be had.

Buffalo is set up to go from dog house to playoffs. Lots of coaches...I think...will be interested! It seems similar to St. Louis in 1999 too!

Edited by Manther