Walt Coleman and company

SirPorl

Was it called for taunting or because he bumped the ref?

These personal foul calls are absolute killers. 15 yards. The ref really should be sure of a transgression.

He obviously didn't bump the ref on purpose.

I am guessing from comments from Hughes he was yelling at ref about not getting a holding call and ran into him accidentally, but still ran into him.

Flag, and lucky he was not ejected.

Same crew that threw the flag on Hughes in the Pats games.

I am sure Hughes was yapping about that all night too.

BTW, the ref that is on TV now got to call not doing Washington games...wonder if the Bills could request not getting Coleman anymore.I think they could trot out the Pats game and this game and say "really, you see no trend in the calls ?"

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to duplicate a post on two different threads, but i thinks its more applicable here. (Should i delete the other post? Mods?)

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Walt_Coleman

2002 Vikings v. Packers game[edit]

On December 8, 2002 at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin, the Packers came from behind to defeat theMinnesota Vikings, 26-22, in a contest in which the league would later admit that Coleman and his crew made nine officiating errors.[11][12] One of the errors included a 28-yard pass interference penalty that was called on Vikings safetyCorey Chavous, which helped the Packers to score their game-winning touchdown.[12] The win helped keep Green Bay in the race for home-field advantage in the playoffs.

How does the NFL justify him keeping his job? They don't have to, he is working out perfectly for them.

The officiating was poor as usual. It is expected, and they deliver. Screw them.

But the team just stunk. The run defense? What? So many letdowns. I haven't seen a QB play like this since Collins in the Bears game years ago. He dropped back and just threw the ball into space. Something must have happened to him. He folded.

This is the first time that I turned off the game to watch something else. Granted, I hit the record button so I could come back and fast forward between plays so I could watch a condensed version, and not throw away an entire evening.

I did enjoy the part where they called that ref to verify the excellence of the intentional grounding penalty. It doesn't matter if the receiver ran the wrong route. Scuse me? It's a spot pass. What if the receiver fell down? Is that intentional grounding? BS. Handed the fins points.

I screamed "F You!" four times in a row and woke the kid on that pass interference call. If you can't make a play like that, a textbook perfect pass defensive play, then why bother putting on the pads?

Walt Coleman needs to have surgery to remove his head from his arse.

There. A thread about the officiating.

The Bills stink right now. On rice. They made me stop watching for the first time in about 40 years.

Yes, bad reffing - safety and pass interference calls - changed the complexion of the game. The first call should never have been called as it was marginal and points were involved. The second was a blown call that lead to score... game over.

Officiating by committee. Coleman,and Hoculli's crew use the same Bookie.

Here's the reality of the intentional grounding penalty. It was, IMO, a borderline call. But here's the killer - the Dolphins fumbled the free kick away to the Bills who then had the ball deep in the Dolphins' end. The Bills just failed to capitalize on having the ball in the red zone by (again) failing to score a TD, then missing a FG attempt. The Dolphins capitalized on some of their opportunities and breaks and the a Bills didn't. That was the whole story of this game - and consequently the season.

Edited by BarleyNY

Here's the reality of the intentional grounding penalty. It was, IMO, a borderline call. But here's the killer - the Dolphins fumbled the free kick away to the Bills who then had the ball deep in the Dolphins' end. The Bills just failed to capitalize on having the ball in the red zone by (again) failing to score a TD, then missing a FG attempt. The Dolphins capitalized on some of their opportunities and breaks and the a Bills didn't. That was the whole story of this game - and consequently the season.

Have to agree. If you have a 2-0 turnover differential, then you should almost always expect to win the game. The story of both of these squads so far this season is not capitalizing in the red zone. For the first half the Dolphins also lived up to that, but by the second half the teams really started to distinguish themselves.

I watched this game as a neutral observer and while the Bills definitely had some bad calls go against them, they still deserved to lose the game.

Couldn't get in the end zone

Missed a makeable FG

Recovered a fumble in opponents territory and come away with zero pts.

End of story, the bad calls just made the score worse.

I watched this game as a neutral observer and while the Bills definitely had some bad calls go against them, they still deserved to lose the game.

Missed a makeable FG

Good assessment.

The grounding was borderline, but since Orton was under pressure, callable. The PI on Gilmore was a clear cut bad call. But the zebras did not decide that game. The entire Bills organization did (excluding the Pegulas as they are too new), top to bottom.

It wasn't borderline. It shouldn't of been flagged. Watkins was about 6 yards away from where the ball landed so save your bs for some other thread. If that is Manning or Brady throwing that ball noway it gets flagged.

Edited by Gordio

Missed a makeable FG

Summed up very nicely.

The bills by the design of the coaches are a team that is going to be in a lot of close games. One or two bull **** calls have a huge influence on the game. As bad as the bills offense was the bills win this game if walt coleman doesn't allow blatant holding on every play of the dolphins 1st td drive as Mario would have had at least 2 drive killing sacks. Or the pass interference penalty that gave them the other TD or the safety bull ****. That's 16 points given to the dolphins.

The Bills should also take lessons in throwing and defending drag / crossing routes. They threw them over and over against us with a ton of space to get YAC and we simply could not adjust. However, whenever we attempted to throw them our receivers / TE we were tackled almost instantaneously or the ball was knocked out. Orton (and EJ) just can't seem to see the defenders in that zone ready to blow up that play as soon as it's thrown and our defensive scheme allows them to be completed successfully over and over and over again. And our D Line hardly ever even attempts to throw their arms up and bat balls down and those are the prime target types of passes to do so. It gets so tiresome.

Edited by Mark80

Yes the game turned quickly on the 2 completely bogus calls, but that doesn't change the fact that once again the Bills were badly outplayed in the second half.

The Bills lose halftime every single week, and that's why they need a new coach.

It wasn't borderline. It shouldn't of been flagged. Watkins was about 6 yards away from where the ball landed so save your bs for some other thread. If that is Manning or Brady throwing that ball noway it gets flagged.

Your blue and red tinted glasses must effect your distance perception because it was a lot more than 6 yards away, but honestly I don't make the grounding call there. The rule states that there has to be no realistic chance for a receiver to catch the ball - no yardage away from a receiver is noted. On one hand I do think it was theoretically possible for Watkins to have missed a change in route due to the blitz. When the ball was released he had time to break outside to the area where it was thrown. On the other hand, Orton was clearly throwing the ball away to an empty place on the field to avoid a sack. He wasn't trying to get the ball to where Watkins was and failure to run a proper route doesn't excuse a grounding call. It's a judgement call and their judgement is defensible, even if I would have let it go.

This doesn't even address the effect this call should have had on the game - or the one it did have on it. If the grounding call had not been made the Bills would've been punting from their own endzone and the Dolphins would've probably gotten the ball around midfield. As it actually played out the Dolphins got two points and the Bills got the ball deep in the Dolphins' end of the field. I'm finding it very difficult to blame this call for anything bad that happened to the Bills as the net result should have helped them.

The bills by the design of the coaches are a team that is going to be in a lot of close games. One or two bull **** calls have a huge influence on the game. As bad as the bills offense was the bills win this game if walt coleman doesn't allow blatant holding on every play of the dolphins 1st td drive as Mario would have had at least 2 drive killing sacks. Or the pass interference penalty that gave them the other TD or the safety bull ****. That's 16 points given to the dolphins.

The PI was definitely too close to have made that call, but the intentional grounding was clearly the correct call. Orton got rid of the ball before Watkins even had time to cut back towards the sideline. So when Orton got rid of it, Watkins was actually running towards the middle of the field with his back to the ball. The only reason Orton threw it so soon was because of the pressure. If he had waited for the route to develop he would've been sacked.

And the holding went both ways. There were at least a couple instances where Miami's D line was clearly being held, yet no call.

With a 2-0 turnover differential, Buffalo had plenty of opportunities to win the game. They didn't get any help from the refs, but that most definitely isn't the reason they lost. The O line crumbled in the second half, and once Orton got rattled he just wasn't the same.

Edited by finfanfromrochester

Your blue and red tinted glasses must effect your distance perception because it was a lot more than 6 yards away, but honestly I don't make the grounding call there. The rule states that there has to be no realistic chance for a receiver to catch the ball - no yardage away from a receiver is noted. On one hand I do think it was theoretically possible for Watkins to have missed a change in route due to the blitz. When the ball was released he had time to break outside to the area where it was thrown. On the other hand, Orton was clearly throwing the ball away to an empty place on the field to avoid a sack. He wasn't trying to get the ball to where Watkins was and failure to run a proper route doesn't excuse a grounding call. It's a judgement call and their judgement is defensible, even if I would have let it go.

This doesn't even address the effect this call should have had on the game - or the one it did have on it. If the grounding call had not been made the Bills would've been punting from their own endzone and the Dolphins would've probably gotten the ball around midfield. As it actually played out the Dolphins got two points and the Bills got the ball deep in the Dolphins' end of the field. I'm finding it very difficult to blame this call for anything bad that happened to the Bills as the net result should have helped them.

That is not correct. Orton was looking at Watkins all the way and threw the ball before Watkins made the break. If Watkins breaks left, he's near the ball and may have actually caught it. That's why the rule is stupid. Yes, Orton was getting rid of the ball. But he was also throwing it to where he thought the WR was going to be.

I've seen that play many times, without that call being made. And that's the frustration. It's not this call in particular, it's the inconsistency in how the game is called.

That is not correct. Orton was looking at Watkins all the way and threw the ball before Watkins made the break. If Watkins breaks left, he's near the ball and may have actually caught it. That's why the rule is stupid. Yes, Orton was getting rid of the ball. But he was also throwing it to where he thought the WR was going to be.

I've seen that play many times, without that call being made. And that's the frustration. It's not this call in particular, it's the inconsistency in how the game is called.

But that's sort of the point of the intentional grounding penalty. Orton knew that he didn't have enough time for the route to develop, but he threw it anyway to avoid the sack. Watkins was a good 10 yards away from the ball.