inspirational quotes from coach marrone

BackInDaDay

don't know how many of you saw last night's Inside the NFL, but when our KC segment was over, i couldn't help getting the feeling that our head coach responds more like a sulking fan on a message board than someone in a position to impact the game.

fyi - it's hard to tell exactly when these were uttered - because the show's editor had a job to do - but here are a few of his more pessimistic remarks captured during the game - directed at no one in particular:

• after the Brown fumble - "that's a touchdown.. that's not like it's not a touchdown.. that's a touchdown"
  • sometime after that - "we should be up by a helluva lot more than this"
  • after the Charles TD - "4th and 1.. unbelievable"
  • toward the end - "we had opportunities"

i'd rather hear him screaming, "they're killin' me Whitey! they're killin' me!" - than this sad sack crap.

jeez, coach.. if you're disappointed with how your team's playing - get engaged, when it counts - or buy a ticket!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i get what your saying, but he reacts like he has no control over the situation

What you quoted were reactions, correct? As in, the things he was commenting on had already happened?

I'm not a big Marrone fan, I too have my doubts, but what coach has control over things that have already happened?

How would "they're killing me Whitey!" Be materially different? Did that question from Saban demonstrate control any more than what Marrone said?

Edited by BillnutinHouston

well, not Marrone directly but freaking Hackett called the "fumble at the 3" play again. Then he jumped on to special teams and told McKelvin to fumble too. If you watch the replay Leodis almost forgot to fumble, but remembered at the last second....

How does he have control over Brown fumbling the ball or Lawson failing his containment assignment?

The dude lives and dies it, just like the rest of us. Some of you pretend he shouldn't be human.

For real. Or people act like NFL coaches are the most eloquent, forthcoming public speakers - do people ever listen to other team's post game pressers?

I like Marrone but this was a bit surprising.

Everything I have heard and read suggests that he is a dictator who DEMANDS everything be done his way. However, it sounds like he is the type who relies on his POSITION rather than anything about himself for authority. It's wimpy tough.

Everyone has to listen because he's the coach. In college he could screw up your entire life. Who are you going to complain to? He was essentially the GM and coach. In the pros everyone is a pro and plays along (with the exception here and there). Nobody will ever challenge but that doesn't mean he has firm control.

Is St. Doug the type to be immature and insecure, and rely on his position to force others to comply regardless of the circumstances, or is he a guy who knows he has the right answers and demands compliance because he KNOWS it will lead to wins?

For real. Or people act like NFL coaches are the most eloquent, forthcoming public speakers - do people ever listen to other team's post game pressers?

There is a big difference between sounding like a poorly spoken coach and sounding like a fan.

That is the original poster's point.\

A coach should always sound like a coach, not a fan.

None of this stuff matters, Bills brothers. The dude currently running the team ain't gonna be around a lot longer, in case you didn't you figure that out yet on your own.

For years this board cried when Dickie J or Gailey wouldn't show emotion on the sidelines. Now this guy has flipped out on his players the refs and is by most accounts a real hard ass. He has this team, with no QB, running back or offensive line in the middle of a playoff hunt.

He clearly has the respect of people in the league. The people that want to come coach for him are evidence of that. Pepper Johnson, Schwartz, Hostler, all these guys could have gone anywhere and choose to come work for Marrone.

Marrone is the best coach we have had here this century and its not even close.

But go ahead and flame away, run another coach out of town, wash rinse repeat.

For years this board cried when Dickie J or Gailey wouldn't show emotion on the sidelines. Now this guy has flipped out on his players the refs and is by most accounts a real hard ass. He has this team, with no QB, running back or offensive line in the middle of a playoff hunt.

He clearly has the respect of people in the league. The people that want to come coach for him are evidence of that. Pepper Johnson, Schwartz, Hostler, all these guys could have gone anywhere and choose to come work for Marrone.

Marrone is the best coach we have had here this century and its not even close.

But go ahead and flame away, run another coach out of town, wash rinse repeat.

They should have fired him before they had a chance to want to fire him.

To reiterate what I, as well as many others in here, have been saying since DM was hired: He is in way over his head, and he really has no business being an NFL coach.

Really don't know where people get off saying this. The guy's put in his time, worked in a variety of positions with different teams, at different levels of the sport. He has had multiple coaching legends voice their confidence in his ability to become a great coach and turn around Buffalo. Even the great Belicheck had to get his lumps in Cleveland. You don't step in day one at your first NFL coaching job and become great. It generally takes years, possibly several different teams and multiple demotions. I'm really reserving judgment on Marrone because it's only his second year as an NFL head coach. He was, and remains, a solid option.