Buffalo at KC 25: Most Criminal Play Calling this season

1B4IDie

Neither did the Bills and then they let 3 up in a single game.

Our RBs were averaging 5 yards per carry in the game on Sunday. That seems to be a little bit more of a weakness.

They gave up 259 yard through the air and ~100 on the ground and have not given up a rushing TD. The play calling was correct the execution was off. If you want Hacketts head fine, but he was not wrong for throwing the ball.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that people can't criticize some of the plays that were called and still blame the players too? It's like you guys live for hyperbole here.

It is only OPTION A OR OPTION B!!!!

IT CAN NEVER BE OPTION C "All of the above".

They gave up 259 yard through the air and ~100 on the ground and have not given up a rushing TD. The play calling was correct the execution was off. If you want Hacketts head fine, but he was not wrong for throwing the ball.

When did I say I wanted Hackett's head?

Do you know why we passed for 259 yards and only ran for 100? We had less than half the rushing attempts than we did passing attempts and were averaging 5 yards per carry on those attempts. Yes he was wrong. A smart coach would have ran for some yards towards the first down marker and would have either gotten a first or created a 4th and short situation for themselves. Who the hell gets themselves into 3rd and 10 and then 4th and 10 situations with the game on the line when you're rushing for 5 yards per carry with a first down available right in front of the endzone?

There are two reasons why it would have made more sense to run instead of pass on the last drive. First, Orton was not playing as well as he can, and he hadn't all day. So don't put the game in the hands of the guy who's having a tough day. Second, you don't do it against the top pass defense in the league.

Another reason is that if you're thinking it's four down territory (obviously the Bills were thinking that) then the idea should be to use up as much of the clock as possible so Smith has little time to come back.

I'll give Hackett some slack because he saw his receivers getting open, and hadn't seen Orton have a below-par day previously. But, he should have recognized that another approach was needed in this situation.

When did I say I wanted Hackett's head?

Do you know why we passed for 259 yards and only ran for 100? We had less than half the rushing attempts than we did passing attempts and were averaging 5 yards per carry on those attempts. Yes he was wrong. A smart coach would have ran for some yards towards the first down marker and would have either gotten a first or created a 4th and short situation for themselves. Who the hell gets themselves into 3rd and 10 and then 4th and 10 situations with the game on the line when you're rushing for 5 yards per carry with a first down available right in front of the endzone?

That is a question I can't answer ... I have no idea why they did not try for the first down. And yes they could have tried to run for that ... I am pretty sure on their earlier attempt from the 2 they did try and run and got stuffed.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

Exactly. I'm fine with them throwing it, but if you know you're in 4 down territory the smart thing to do is run once or twice to at least get yourself into a manageable 3rd and 4th. It drove me nuts.

I know they tried to run on 1st when they were on the 4 but I still think they should have given it to Summers for at least one more run before trying to pass it. Our RBs were getting to the second level all day.

Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain

Exactly. I'm fine with them throwing it, but if you know you're in 4 down territory the smart thing to do is run once or twice to at least get yourself into a manageable 3rd and 4th. It drove me nuts.

I know they tried to run on 1st when they were on the 4 but I still think they should have given it to Summers for at least one more run before trying to pass it. Our RBs were getting to the second level all day.

The problem is that they get killed either way ... run twice then throw they are too conservative ... throw on every down they are nuts. If Orton connects on any of his throws in the red zone in the second half no one is saying anything.

There are two reasons why it would have made more sense to run instead of pass on the last drive. First, Orton was not playing as well as he can, and he hadn't all day. So don't put the game in the hands of the guy who's having a tough day. Second, you don't do it against the top pass defense in the league.

Another reason is that if you're thinking it's four down territory (obviously the Bills were thinking that) then the idea should be to use up as much of the clock as possible so Smith has little time to come back.

I'll give Hackett some slack because he saw his receivers getting open, and hadn't seen Orton have a below-par day previously. But, he should have recognized that another approach was needed in this situation.

The goal should have been two things - run as much clock as possible to leave the Chiefs with as close to no time as possible and score a TD to take the lead. The possibility of throwing incomplete passes is not going to run the clock. If you don't care about running clock then you must trust the fickle hand of fate to help the Bills defense hold the Chiefs out of FG range with a little under 2 minutes left. Something I do not.

You've got around 2 1/2 minutes with a 1st and 10 at the 15. A draw play or a swing pass to Brown could have been in the mix. And the empty backfield? That just tips the defense its a pass and the d-line tees off on the QB, especially one that is not very mobile.

The other strategy would be to attempt the passes and kick a FG while depending on your D to hold them on the ensuing kickoff. That obviously wasn't in the mix.

I admit its easy to place blame knowing the outcome but this team has failed miserably in the red zone all season long regardless of the opponent. So something fundamentally is lacking here whether its execution as some point to or play calling as others suggest this team is simply not getting into the endzone. They move the ball down to the 20 and hit a brick wall. You would have hoped they'd have worked through it during the bye week but no such luck.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

The problem is that they get killed either way ... run twice then throw they are too conservative ... throw on every down they are nuts. If Orton connects on any of his throws in the red zone in the second half no one is saying anything.

you're kidding right? the topics would have been "embarrassing win", "we are winning despite the coaches", "Fire (insert latest punching bag)"...They will still be complaining, just about other things...

Edited by ricojes

The call that makes me most angry is the lining up on 4th and inches and trying to draw them offsides.

I absolutely despise this gutless play.

Me too. be a man and go for it, or punt.

Actually the call I hated most was not kicking the FG on 4th and TEN.

Speqking of FGs, I was not real happy that we punted from the Cheaps 41 with little to no wind in the 1st half. Carpenter can make that.

Edited by reddogblitz

you're kidding right? the topics would have been "embarrassing win", "we are winning despite the coaches", "Fire (insert latest punching bag)"...They will still be complaining, just about other things...

Yes but not about this series of plays.

The goal should have been two things - run as much clock as possible to leave the Chiefs with as close to no time as possible and score a TD to take the lead. The possibility of throwing incomplete passes is not going to run the clock. If you don't care about running clock then you must trust the fickle hand of fate to help the Bills defense hold the Chiefs out of FG range with a little under 2 minutes left. Something I do not.

You've got around 2 1/2 minutes with a 1st and 10 at the 15. A draw play or a swing pass to Brown could have been in the mix. And the empty backfield? That just tips the defense its a pass and the d-line tees off on the QB, especially one that is not very mobile.

The other strategy would be to attempt the passes and kick a FG while depending on your D to hold them on the ensuing kickoff. That obviously wasn't in the mix.

I admit its easy to place blame knowing the outcome but this team has failed miserably in the red zone all season long regardless of the opponent. So something fundamentally is lacking here whether its execution as some point to or play calling as others suggest this team is simply not getting into the endzone. They move the ball down to the 20 and hit a brick wall. You would have hoped they'd have worked through it during the bye week but no such luck.

This is the most infuriating thing .... I can not stand an empty back field ... "Hey! Just so you know. We, in no way, intent to run the ball. Please make sure you have all your coverage guys in!"

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

this is the one that got me ^^^^ Damn!

If you have one of those DVR doodads, take a look at that play again.

The corner over Sammy changes his leverage just before the snap, Watkins recognizes it and adjusts his route accordingly. But the corner timed it perfectly and Orton doesn't catch him moving to Sammy's inside shoulder. It was a great headgame from the corner and the reason that Orton and Watkins weren't on the same page.

If you have one of those DVR doodads, take a look at that play again.

The corner over Sammy changes his leverage just before the snap, Watkins recognizes it and adjusts his route accordingly. But the corner timed it perfectly and Orton doesn't catch him moving to Sammy's inside shoulder. It was a great headgame from the corner and the reason that Orton and Watkins weren't on the same page.

credit where credit is due sometimes aye? Thanks Simon I'll check that out.

A lot of people were focusing on that drive after the game.

How about this one?:

3rd Q 8:08 remains. Bills with 1st and 10 on KC 11.

1st down--pass to Brown to the 3 yard line.

2nd down and 2 at the 3--incomplete at the goal line

3rd and 2 at the three---another incomplete in the end zone

4th--kick FG.

It's 2nd and 2 at the 2, then 3rd-----and not one run play to pick up a first down and goal to go??

Such bad red zone play calling.

if they run the ball and get stopped , the criticism will be 'too predictable'. All season long Hackett was criticized for running too much, now for throwing instead of running on what would seem to be obvious running situations.

It comes down to execution. You can only run or pass. It's easy(and stupid) to complain that a run didn't work so they should have passed, and vice versa. The pass calls were good, because receivers were open in the end zone. We ran well, possible because we called runs at the right time.

Hogan was open and Sammy was open twice on that last drive. Orton missed his receivers.

Execution by the QB lost that game.

Earlier he missed Chandler and Woods in the end zones as well.

Those misses were bad, but you can't be serious. Without the two fumbles, we win by 14.