Buffalo at KC 25: Most Criminal Play Calling this season

1B4IDie

What I find funny is that all of the people blaming Hackett and making excuses for Orton are the same ones who were exclusively blaming EJ just a few weeks ago after the Houston game for missing wide open receivers. Orton does the same thing and now its playcalling. Comical.

stop making sense. You have no home here.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You only play to get the ball back if you kick the FG as it's highly unlikely that you'll have time to march all the way down field with no timeouts and score a TD. A hail-mary is likely at the end of the game in this scenario. Moving 30 yards into FG range, on the other hand, is manageable.

They should have kicked the FG but if they were going to go for it on 4th down they should have known that BEFORE 4th down and called plays that set them up for success in this scenario not 3 shots at the endzone and then going for it on 4th and 10.

Not sure I agree. It's possible that the Bills called the four consecutive pass plays because they were never going to go for a FG, but only a TD, and they wanted to have a chance to get the ball back if they went for it on 4th down and failed. In fact, if the defense had held KC to a 3 and out, that's exactly what would have happened. You can certainly argue with that strategy but it's not an unreasonable one. The alternative of trying to get a first down or TD by running the ball, at least on a couple plays, might very well have succeeded, but if they run the ball and don't come away with a TD, it's game over. I do agree, however, that they should at least have thrown a couple underneath passes to try to pick up the first, instead of throwing in the end zone every time. Edited by mannc

In the red zone against a team that has not allowed a rushing TD, the chance of success in running would not be higher.

Says who? Them not letting up a rushing TD could be circumstantial. We didn't allow any up until the Jets game and then they ran in 3 on us. KC is NOT ranked as a top run defense. They ARE tanked as the top pass defense.

Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain

This is hashed over rehashed on many different threads. I thought it might be nice to have a thread to focus on the series that lost the game.

http://espn.go.com/n...554332&period=4

Buffalo at 4:35 KAN BUF BUF DRIVE TOTALS: 7 plays, 10 yards, 2:08

1st and 10 at KC 25 (4:35) (Shotgun) K.Orton pass short right to R.Woods to KC 16 for 9 yards (E.Berry, J.Mauga). Tuck route, caught at KC 20.

2nd and 1 at KC 16 (4:03) (Shotgun) B.Brown right end to KC 16 for no gain (J.Houston). 3rd and 1 at KC 16 (3:27) F.Summers left guard to KC 15 for 1 yard (J.Howard; T.Hali).

1st and 10 at KC 15 (2:47) K.Orton pass incomplete short right to S.Watkins (R.Parker). Underthrown, receiver at goal line near pylon.

2nd and 10 at KC 15 (2:42) (Shotgun) K.Orton pass incomplete short left to C.Hogan (R.Parker). Overthrown, receiver near sideline 7 yds. into end zone.

3rd and 10 at KC 15 (2:37) (Shotgun) K.Orton pass incomplete short middle to C.Hogan. Overthrown, receiver 4 yds. into end zone, slanting from left. Timeout #1 by KC at 02:32.

4th and 10 at KC 15 (2:31) (Shotgun) K.Orton pass incomplete short right to S.Watkins (R.Parker). Receiver at goal line underthrown, nearly intercepted at KC 2.

The first play of the drive was great and gave all Bills fans faith. Then next 6 plays were a debacle.

Lets start at 2nd and 1 at KC 16.

This should be one of the most thrilling downs and distance for an offensive coordinator. You have the defense by the Balls. Do they stack the box and try to prevent the 1st down or do they focus on protecting the end zone?

The Bills were averaging 5 yards a carry. Wouldn't a Play Action Pass be perfect in a situation like this? Get the defense to react to the fake handoff and then take a shot to a receiver that is less than 14 yards for a possible game winning TD.

Nooooo!

We predictably try to jam it down the guard and get stuff by a defense that looked stacked against the run.

If you take a shot at 2nd and 1, and get an incomplete. You still have a 3rd and 1!. This play drove me nuts and my brother wanted to gag me when we were watching the game, I lost my mind on how stupid that play call was at that point on the field and in the game.

Then the next 4 plays were mind numbingly stupid. It was as if 1.) Hacket didn't realize the Bills can set up a 1st and goal at the 5, or 2.) Hackett believes you can only score TDs by passing the ball.

1st and 10 at the 15 with an offense that likes to clear out the defense with long routes by WRs then dink to Receivers that cross the field underneath the clear out. Wouldn't that be a great play when you're 15 yards from the endzone????!!!!

Nooo!!! We all of sudden start throwing weak fades that looked like the WR and QB had never practiced the plays in their lives.

1st . . . incomplete towards endzone . . . 2nd . . . incomplete towards endzone . . . 3rd . . . incomplete towards endzone . . . 5th . . . incomplete towards endzone .

4th down really killed me!!!!

What were they doing? We can still get the first down! It'd be hard for the Chiefs to defend the end zone and the 1st down! Take a shot to extend the drive!!!

No!!!!! We take another lame attempt at the end zone and effectively lose the game.

This possession is keeping me up at night. Just pure torture.

Good post, and a waste of energy tho as most fans simply want to blame the QB. He didn't have an EJ in Houston type day, and he didn't turn it over. Good thing a top red zone target in Mike Williams was inactive because the team really needed that extra kick off coverage just in case he didn't kick it out of the endzone.

If the QB is missing his receivers on a consistent basis towards the end of the game, why keep throwing it over, and over? Fifteen passes vs two runs in the 4th quarter, and then the one on fourth down sealed the loss.

Strip, and nice hands Chandler...

If it is too much to ask from your 10 year veteran QB to complete 1 out of six passes, then he should not be your QB. Plain and simple. It did not take a "clutch" play or anything dramatic. Just a simple, semi-accurate pass to the back corner of the end zone to a WIDE OPEN receiver.

IMO no, it is not.

where are the Orton super fans? 2 + pages and crickets.

Hogan was open and Sammy was open twice on that last drive. Orton missed his receivers.

Execution by the QB lost that game.

Earlier he missed Chandler and Woods in the end zones as well.

SHHHHH... let the "Blame everything on Hackett" crowd have their fun...!

IMO no, it is not.

The superfans are all over this thread and TBD. Its all the coaches fault for bad playcalling. They completely ignore the fact that every Little Loop QB over the age of 12 should be able to make a throw to a wide open receiver when given multiple opportunities to do so and no pressure. Edited by Maddog69

You can talk about bad play calling all you want. The bottom line is the play calling was good enough to win the game if Orton makes a good pass in the red zone. He failed to do that numerous time. On the final drive he had receivers open repeatedly and flat out missed them. That's not a bad play call. That's a bad QB.

IT IS A BAD PLAY call and here's why: After 56 minutes and numerous other misses by Kyle earlier in the game, shouldn't it be obvious that Kyle was off? That's NOT the time to call low percentage fades to the EZ from the 15 ESPECIALLY when your run game is working AND you going against the best pass D in the NFL. Yeah, obviously Kyle blew it. But why put an average QB having a bad day in that spot?

IT IS A BAD PLAY call and here's why: After 56 minutes and numerous other misses by Kyle earlier in the game, shouldn't it be obvious that Kyle was off? That's NOT the time to call low percentage fades to the EZ from the 15 ESPECIALLY when your run game is working AND you going against the best pass D in the NFL. Yeah, obviously Kyle blew it. But why put an average QB having a bad day in that spot?

OK. So lets say we run 3 times and get stuffed for no yards. Is it OK to call a pass and expect Kyle to make a throw? Give me a break. He's starting the game because Marrone wanted "production at the position". A QB will be called upon to make a play. HE FAILED. Why can't the Orton lovers admit it? EJ failed miserably in the SD and Texans games and got benched. Orton has failed repeatedly but the excuses abound. I just don't like the double standard. Kyle is a starting QB in the NFL, he should be expected to and be able to complete a simple pass to a WIDE OPEN receiver with the game on the line. Especially when given multiple chances.(6 attempts, 3 of which were very wide open). This loss is on Kyle Orton as much as the Houston loss is on EJ. The game was there to be won. He just needs to make one throw. Nothing heroic. No hail mary. One simple pass. If that's too much to ask, he should not have been playing.

Orton didn't have the sharpest game he's had that's for sure. But lets be real here, The Brown fumble was the killer of the game. Then the Leodis fumble and the third worst sequence of events was when we had second and two from the three yard line and we passed it twice and ended up kicking a field goal. To come away with only 3 points in the third quarter when we dominated with 150 total yards of offense and gave up less than 20 was what cost us the game.

I just keep reliving that Brown fumble over and over. If he doesn't fumble, we win. Period!

IMO no, it is not.

You are a miserable dude

The superfans are all over this thread and TBD. Its all the coaches fault for bad playcalling. They completely ignore the fact that every Little Loop QB over the age of 12 should be able to make a throw to a wide open receiver when given multiple opportunities to do so and no pressure.

Pee wee coaches can make an adjustment when plays are not working say 4 times in a row. Maybe the next 2 plays should be something different?

Edited by Why So Serious?