What does Kyle Orton have to do?

What does Kyle Orton have to do to prove that he deserves to be long term?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What does Kyle Orton have to do to prove that he deserves to be long term?

• He's already proven himself, sign him before it's too late.
    • At least a playoff win
    • Make the Playoffs
    • Atleast 8-9 wins at the end of the season, whether or not we make the playoffs
    • There's nothing he can do. He's not hte long term answer.

I think if he continues to play at this level and they get to 8-9 wins he deserves the job. I'd think it would be something like the deal that Revis signed in terms of structure. It will be decent money with each year guaranteed at the beginning of each year. I would do something like a 4 year $48M deal and $12M would be guaranteed on the 1st day of each league year.

Where is sign an extension or want to come back? Right now from what I read he has a player's option for 2nd year. It is not like it is all Bills decision just as it was for several players who left last season and some posters continue to bash them for.

We're talking about locking him up long term, offering him enough money to want to stay.

So the 2nd year is his option. The way I see it is he basically retires or stays. If we make the playoffs or win a playoff game then things change as far as paying him. If that happens though I am sure the Bills oblige on a 3 year 23 mil-ish deal. He hasn't had thus opportunity or situation in his career to date. Buffalo is a good fit and I am sure he realizes that.

Remember a few months ago this guy talked about retiring. I think we are jumping the gun here a bit. Let's get through the back half of the season before we go all Fitz. If we are 8-8/9-7 he retires or stays a Bill. That simple. Anywhere else he goes he'll be the same guy he's been, a "could be starter, but thanks for being a good back up" guy.

Let's be honest. The only thing that will garner unequivocal support of Bills Nation is for Kyle to not only guide this team to the playoffs, but win a game while there. Anything short of that, the doubts will linger.

All that said, I'm fine with Orton as the QB for the foreseeable future of the next two seasons.

I think it's more likely that Orton gets hurt on a sack before the season is over than any of the other possible scenarios.

Hopefully I am wrong, but he is unable to step out of the way when under pressure, almost every time.

I'd prefer a 9-10 wins option. Whether or not we make the playoffs is a pretty simple minded distinction because those are things that are often beyond a team's control. If we won 9 and made the playoffs would that mean we played better than a team that won 10 and didn't?

And if we won 10 games, made the playoffs, and the QB played well but we lost, and the GM stated that loss was the reason we were not retaining the first decent QB we'd had n a decade, if I were the owner I'd fire him on the spot.

I guess it depends on your definition of Long term.

Mine: 5 or more years with a goal of winning a championship (or several)

I don't believe KO is capable of meeting either of those requirements.

He is the answer for the immediate and short term future. He is good. He is the benchmark. When another QB is available to start for us that is better, then KO is no longer the answer.

Let's be honest. The only thing that will garner unequivocal support of Bills Nation is for Kyle to not only guide this team to the playoffs, but win a game while there. Anything short of that, the doubts will linger.

All that said, I'm fine with Orton as the QB for the foreseeable future of the next two seasons.

I disagree. If Orton plays okay in the playoffs and we lose to Denver or some other powerhouse, I'll be fine. If he bombs, then yeah, there will be doubts. If he plays better than Dalton and leads us to the playoffs, he's our boy.

I think it's more likely that Orton gets hurt on a sack before the season is over than any of the other possible scenarios.

Hopefully I am wrong, but he is unable to step out of the way when under pressure, almost every time.

Unfortunately true. Nobody is going to entertain the notion but he is sack prone and he doesn't look like he has spent much time in a weight room building up any tolerance for it. Part of his charm is his every day Joe physique but you don't see too many 30 something QB's that don't look like they've been hitting the weights.

Unfortunately true. Nobody is going to entertain the notion but he is sack prone and he doesn't look like he has spent much time in a weight room building up any tolerance for it. Part of his charm is his every day Joe physique but you don't see too many 30 something QB's that don't look like they've been hitting the weights.

Orton was always known as a guy who would throw it in the dirt or away rather than take a sack . He stepped into a situation where he has to win over his teammates as well as help develop some young players . I don't think we will see nearly as many sacks on him going forward