do you consider Sammy to be a rookie phenom?

Tampa Bob

Randy Moss's first 8 games of his rookie season. 30 Receptions, 593 yards, 6 TDs

Sammy Watkins first 8 games. 38 receptions, 590 Yards, 5 TDs

His numbers are about equal half way through the season. It will be interesting to see what Sammy will do the second half of the season. GO Bills!!!

And just think, that was with EJ Manuel throwing to him for half the games and Randall Cunningham throwing to Moss all 8 games.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Watkins certainly looks like a phenom.

I looked up the definition of phenom and it doesn't say much more than phenomenal, especially for someone up and coming. My working definition is that an NFL phenom is a player in their first years performing at a level better than we see from anyone in their position most years.

There doesn't appear to be anything fluky about his performances or the stats he's earned. He's worth the price we paid, and clearly so if the alternative was the Bills using their 1st round pick on Eric Ebron, and that's not meant as a knock on Ebron.

Still, yes we'll miss the draft picks we gave up in the trade. And yes, there appear to some other really good WRs in Watkin's class.

Yes, Watkins certainly looks like a phenom.

I looked up the definition of phenom and it doesn't say much more than phenomenal, especially for someone up and coming. My working definition is that an NFL phenom is a player in their first years performing at a level better than we see from anyone in their position most years.

There doesn't appear to be anything fluky about his performances or the stats he's earned. He's worth the price we paid, and clearly so if the alternative was the Bills using their 1st round pick on Eric Ebron, and that's not meant as a knock on Ebron.

Still, yes we'll miss the draft picks we gave up in the trade. And yes, there appear to some other really good WRs in Watkin's class.

I keep forgetting that he's the pick if they don't get Sammy. Ebron has been injured and just plain average. We'd all be so pissed.

He's okay but the Bills have up 2 1st round picks to get him!! He better be able to walk on water. I haven't seen him do that yet. I don't know what all the hype is about; he is decent. He has only been the offensive Rookie of the Week 3 times. He's already played 8 games!! A guy that you used 2 1st round picks on should at least be the best offensive rookie in 7 of his 1st 8 weeks. The FO is incompetent.

we did not "give up" two 1st's.

we used our 1st and gave up an extra 1st & 4th to get him.

had we stayed put and picked Ebron, we still would have used one 1st round pick.

so technically we traded Ebron and next years 1st (15th overall ?) & a 4th for Sammy. a steep price, but it looks like it will be worth it.

At the beginning of the season, Sammy didn't look that great. This was due to his injured ribs and a rookie QB that could not toss a simple pass to a WR further than 5 yards. Sammy looks incredible now that the Bills have an NFL QB throwing passes. I always thought Lee Evans could have had a great career if he had someone decent to throw him the ball back in the day.

Well at least you're living up to your name. In his second game he had 8 catches for 117 yards and a great TD.

I would not call Sammy a phenom. I do thing he will be a star for a long long time but to date he has not shown he is superior to K. Benjamin, M. Bryant, O. Beckham, or M. Evans. If Sammy is a phenom, they all are. If they all are, it is a misuse of the word.

I do think this might be the WR rookie class that is the equivalent of the Kelly, Marino, Elway, etc. QB class. Then Sammy = Elway or Marino the two best of the bunch.

This is demonstrably false. Anyone who actually watches more than the highlights of the other rookies can see Sammy does everything better than they do. Benjamin has rocks for hands, Bryant disappears in games (though he does play behind the best WR in the NFL right now so maybe that's why) and doesn't have nearly the same skill set as Sammy, Evans might have worse hands than Benjamin at least when it comes to consistency (though his qb situation is the only one worse than Sammy's), and Beckham hasn't played enough to have much of a sample size.

None of those guys are carrying their team's respective passing offense the way Sammy is being asked to. None of those guys has displayed the overall ball skills Sammy has shown. And none of those guys have won 3 games for their team with huge clutch catches.

I get this is a good WR class, it is. But Sammy is so far ahead of those other guys it's not fair to him to keep saying false statements like the bolded one above.

ey

Sammy catches cleanly with his hands better than any other WR i've seen in the NFL. Plus he flat out gets open all the time. Hope this groin thing doesn't hamper him too much.

not trolling here but i called out SJ earlier than anyone here on tsw for being non clutch and not being on the team by 2014....that said Ive noticed watkins doesnt "go up and get it" He will knock it out of the air alot or just feint at the ball but not really try...maybe its his ribs? Either way he has speed to get open and great hands but he hasnt broken a tackle except for the slant against the jets....He goes down awful quick like tim brown used to....I hope its his ribs beacuse i watched Kelvin benjamins catches and they are all circus type, out of frame leaping style grabs. I would have liked to trade back in the draft and get him and another late 1st rather than give up 2 first for 1 guy... we could have had cj mosley and benjamin maybe.

Not saying benjamins better but so far they are about equal and neck and neck on the stat sheet. Just that benjamin cost less than half of what sammy cost us.

not trolling here but i called out SJ earlier than anyone here on tsw for being non clutch and not being on the team by 2014....that said Ive noticed watkins doesnt "go up and get it" He will knock it out of the air alot or just feint at the ball but not really try...maybe its his ribs? Either way he has speed to get open and great hands but he hasnt broken a tackle except for the slant against the jets....He goes down awful quick like tim brown used to....I hope its his ribs beacuse i watched Kelvin benjamins catches and they are all circus type, out of frame leaping style grabs. I would have liked to trade back in the draft and get him and another late 1st rather than give up 2 first for 1 guy... we could have had cj mosley and benjamin maybe.

Not saying benjamins better but so far they are about equal and neck and neck on the stat sheet. Just that benjamin cost less than half of what sammy cost us.

Have you seen how many times Benjamin drops the ball after going up for it? He has hands of stone.

No, I completely disagree with that assessment -- evidenced by the final drive in Detroit.

HIGrX6J.gif

oh you "completely "disagree...isee...evidenced by one catch. Notice that isnt the kind you "go up" for, also, no ones on him grappling for the ball with him here....also I said he has good hands, like in this catch....he also goes down while hardly being touched on this play btw. you ignore many plays i guess that watkins doesnt try like the whole san diego game, try rewatching that and using the word "completely" better or rereading my point. I obviously thought you were open to discussion and other points of viewes but your already infatuated with watkins beyond convincing. Edited by enlightener

rewatch the lack of effort in san diego and also a few non-catches in the houston game and get back to me....im not saying he doesnt get open or catch well, stop being blind homers and watch the plays again....Im not making them up. If you dont want to admit/accept they happened than go on thinking hes the next randy moss/jerry rice and can do no wrong....like the showboating in new jersey.