byrd rated as biggest free agent flop on NFL.com

justnzane

Byrd could have been traded for a draft pick while under contract when he would not extend. Hope the FO doesn't make a costly mistake like this again.

No one would trade for a player that is ready to walk. The Bills tried. Other teams in the same boat try. Rarely does anyone bite because a team would be stupid to trade for a player they can't sign. And if they can sign him, why trade for him? Just wait till he's a free man.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one would trade for a player that is ready to walk. The Bills tried. Other teams in the same boat try. Rarely does anyone bite because a team would be stupid to trade for a player they can't sign. And if they can sign him, why trade for him? Just wait till he's a free man.

And then we're stuck paying him earl Thomas money for another year, when there's no way he's as good, and he has an injury history

Why would you give anything for a player in the last year of his deal who has been notorious in contract negotiations?

If you are in a win now mode and looking for a hired gun who you believe can put you over the top and get you a win that year, you do. And Byrd had that potential for the right team. If a team is in the win now mode, rather than the building for the future mode, he would have been a great choice.

So you don't think teams who believe they are just a player or two from winning and are in the "Win Now" mode would never want a one season hired gun? A team like a Denver with a Manning who won't be there very much longer, would not spend on a hired gun before their "win it all window" is passed?Do you really think that the first year or two after Manning retires that Denver will still be at the top challenging for the Super Bowl and an expensive FA contract will still make sense for them, for example? And do you think that when Denver signed Manning, they were thinking he would be there 4 or 5 years later. He was signed to immediately "win now", not to build for the future.

Edited by simpleman

So you don't think teams who believe they are just a player or two from winning and are in the "Win Now" mode would never want a one season hired gun? A team like a Denver with a Manning who won't be there very much longer, would not spend on a hired gun before their "win it all window" is passed?

That happens in hockey. Not so much in the NFL.

So you don't think teams who believe they are just a player or two from winning and are in the "Win Now" mode would never want a one season hired gun? A team like a Denver with a Manning who won't be there very much longer, would not spend on a hired gun before their "win it all window" is passed?

Clearly not. Or else he would have been traded, right?

And if they can pay enough to sign him, why trade for Byrd?? Just wait out his deal, obviously.

i know trades arent terribly common in the nfl, but at that point you could argue why trade for just about anyone. without looking id venture a good number of trades happen with guys that would otherwise be on their way out the door. by trading you get to make sure that you get him, unless you think you are the only team in the league that has interest and can afford him.

Clearly not. Or else he would have been traded, right?

in theory, sure. but we really dont know. i recall rumors that we had received offers of mid/late rounders leading into 2013 but it sounds like we decided to "let him fly and hope he returned to us." not trying to hammer anyone on this, just saying that its hard to speak with any certainty on what happened.

Well lets be fair here, he got hurt.

I wanted to keep him, but not at the price it was going to take. You don't pay safeties that kind of money unless they are in the league of a Troy, Lott, Reed, etc and Byrd isn't that guy. Its like when we didn't resign an offensive guard to a ridiculous contract just because he could get that money from Tenn.

I still think NO paid way too much, but I do think its a little unfair to label it a complete bust given he got hurt which can happen to anyone...although Byrd does seem to be dinged up a lot.

I was ok with Byrd leaving because I really like Aaron Williams. He's several years younger, more physically gifted, and was signed for much, much less.

I still maintain that had we kept Byrd, he and Williams would have been the best safety tandem in the league.

Without looking it up, I am pretty sure Byrd is the younger player. We drafted AW a year or two before Byrd...but I admittedly didn't look it up and could be wrong.

But he isnt making it from the bills.....that is the point..AND the Saints had to cut a lot of players to make room for that salary

i cant say enough times that i think its a little overstated how much they cut.

Will smith was a good portion of it and he isnt even in the league anymore.

then it was 2 safeties that were replaced by vaccaro last year and byrd this year.

their 3rd WR who is 31 years old....but they drafted a #1 wr that would have shifted moore even further back

and sproles who in a way was losing his job to cooks/khiry robinson in the pass/run games.

ill take an argument that they might have passed on other opportunities but i dont know that any of those guys were on the saints 2014 roster even without byrd. you probably see them add a mid tier vet safety and maybe another roleplayer in the defense if the signing had fallen apart.

Edited by NoSaint

He's been hurt since he got there and is out for the season. It's not like he sucks all of a sudden. That being said, he got way too much money to remain a Bill.

You're incorrect. He went there, sucked, a lot...to the point that talk of him sitting was heating up then got hurt.

You're incorrect. He went there, sucked, a lot...to the point that talk of him sitting was heating up then got hurt.

there was no heating up to talk of benching him. the whole defense was a mess early - rob ryan changed some philosophical stuff the last couple of weeks and it has come together much better.

Edited by NoSaint

there was no heating up to talk of benching him. the whole defense was a mess early - rob ryan changed some philosophical stuff the last couple of weeks and it has come together much better.

I'm sorry you were unaware of the talk in New Orleans.

I'm sorry you were unaware of the talk in New Orleans.

i have saints season tickets. if you think the talk of benching him was heating up, you must think buffalo is tropical.

he played 4 games and had the defenses only turnover over a stretch that lasted about 10 games dating back to 2013. people might not have been happy about the value, but benching byrd for rafael bush wasnt some commonplace chatter either.

Edited by NoSaint