b/r Top 50 NFL Players

The Bleacher Report just published their list of the top 50 players from the first half of the 2014 season.

Two Bills make the list, not surprisingly both play on the defensive line.

Mario Williams came in at #16

Marcell Dareus came in at #20.

Do any other Bills deserve to be in the top 50?

bleacherreport.com/articles/2242359-ranking-the-nfls-top-50-players-at-the-midseason-mark

Is this just for the season? I am assuming it is. Nice to see Mario Williams getting respect; he doesn't get enough. The guy is probably the best defender in the league over the last 10 years. He does everything exceedingly well.

Is this just for the season? I am assuming it is. Nice to see Mario Williams getting respect; he doesn't get enough. The guy is probably the best defender in the league over the last 10 years. He does everything exceedingly well.

There is no denying this. Nobody in the league plays every facet of his position better.

GO BILLS!!!

Watt?

Taking nothing away from Watt, who is amazing, but he's not the better run defender at the edge. That said, I think Watt is the better overall player for no other reason than his ability to play every DL position at elite levels. But when it comes to pure DE play, I don't think Watt can match MW in terms of run defense on as consistent a basis.

GO BILLS!!!

Watt?

No. Watt perform at the same level as Mario. Very close, maybe better in a few aspects of the game, even, but not a match to the full talent of Watt.

Mario can get in to an OL and beat any of them. He can overcome all types of blocking techniques while Watt is not as adept at creating space and beating a physical blocker. Mario can create space when given none, as well as position himself to beat and win battles. Watt can become invisible in stretches of games just the same and it is going to be a matter of time, IMO, until he is negated.

Watt is good at the position he plays, which is going to remain the same at DE and 34LB. Mario is skilled enough to play both OLB positions in a 34 and Sam in the 43. He is not great at pass defense but he can play it and people forget this quickly.

Taking nothing away from Watt, who is amazing, but he's not the better run defender at the edge. That said, I think Watt is the better overall player for no other reason than his ability to play every DL position at elite levels. But when it comes to pure DE play, I don't think Watt can match MW in terms of run defense on as consistent a basis.

GO BILLS!!!

agreed. Watt can play DT because he is much like Kyle Williams, just bigger.

However, he is not the same player in space and open edges that Mario Williams is which makes him better at shutting down half of the field.

My dad and I were talking about Mario last week. He was saying how he thinks that Mario is so great because he basically plays two positions. He first sets the edge and then rushes the passer. He is probably the best DE against the run in the league and will finish with like 13-15 sacks. He is so under appreciated but is the ultimate team player.

No. Watt perform at the same level as Mario. Very close, maybe better in a few aspects of the game, even, but not a match to the full talent of Watt.

Mario can get in to an OL and beat any of them. He can overcome all types of blocking techniques while Watt is not as adept at creating space and beating a physical blocker. Mario can create space when given none, as well as position himself to beat and win battles. Watt can become invisible in stretches of games just the same and it is going to be a matter of time, IMO, until he is negated.

Watt is good at the position he plays, which is going to remain the same at DE and 34LB. Mario is skilled enough to play both OLB positions in a 34 and Sam in the 43. He is not great at pass defense but he can play it and people forget this quickly.

agreed. Watt can play DT because he is much like Kyle Williams, just bigger.

However, he is not the same player in space and open edges that Mario Williams is which makes him better at shutting down half of the field.

There really is no DL that's comparable to Watt because he's equally disruptive as a DE or DT against both the pass and the run. His combination of size, speed, power, and relentlessness makes him quite unique.

My dad and I were talking about Mario last week. He was saying how he thinks that Mario is so great because he basically plays two positions. He first sets the edge and then rushes the passer. He is probably the best DE against the run in the league and will finish with like 13-15 sacks. He is so under appreciated but is the ultimate team player.

Agreed--everything that the Bills do on defense is predicated upon what Mario does on a play-to-play basis...Pettine's D was the same way.

There really is no DL that's comparable to Watt because he's equally disruptive as a DE or DT against both the pass and the run. His combination of size, speed, power, and relentlessness makes him quite unique.

I look to the Texans game to judge Watt. That's a very good OL. Not exceptional, just very good and at the time they were in a funk, as well. Watt didn't do that much, anywhere.

I have seen Mario against some much better OL's then Dallas' and seen him defeat the best OL in the league. He is never left single blocked. Watt is.

I like Mario and all but this is just insanity. He's not even the best player on the D-line. Dareus is.

Watt might be the best player in the league right now. Single-blocked? Maybe by accident. I've seen Mario get single-blocked this season more than Dareus. Having said that, I don't believe this to be an effective measurable as not all offensive plays are created equal.

I like Mario and all but this is just insanity. He's not even the best player on the D-line. Dareus is.

Watt might be the best player in the league right now. Single-blocked? Maybe by accident. I've seen Mario get single-blocked this season more than Dareus. Having said that, I don't believe this to be an effective measurable as not all offensive plays are created equal.

Mario makes the defense work. He truly does. Watch him when he's not involved on a play and see how he impacts the game. Dareus is a stud and I'm the founding member of the Kyle Williams is Underrated club, but Mario is the best athlete and player on the Bills' line at this moment.

In two years, it probably will be Dareus. Just not yet.

What a great argument to be able to have. I think all four of them, including Hughes, as well as Wynne and Charles, are all being given the chance to shine, since the guys surrounding them are all good. No weak links, no soft spots. However the other way to read this is that they'd all be less effective if they were the only good lineman on some other team, and the other team could game plan for him. So who would be great in that situation? MW would keep playing hard but would be double teamed to death. KW was actually in that situation with the Bills before MW and MD arrived, and while the league recognized his ability, the fans didn't, because he was negated. Only MD, in my opinion, would hold up as the stud among twigs, if he were in that situation. He can beat double teams and still disrupt plays. He's finally arrived after a couple of years of waiting, and what a force he is.

I'm surprised to see that Dareus is so far ahead of K Williams. Is he really that much better of a player?

No, but he's a number 3 overall pick while Kyle is a 5th rounder who's toiled in anonymity on some bad Buffalo teams.

And I LOVE Dareus, but Kyle has played at the highest possible level this year when he's been healthy.

I'm surprised to see that Dareus is so far ahead of K Williams. Is he really that much better of a player?

Dareus commands the double teams, is a better run stuffer (by a lot) and they are both great pass rushers. KW is more of a penetrator in the Warren Sapp mold. Dareus is just a physical freak that has massive strength and quickness. Both are really good players (pro bowlers) but Dareus is a DPOY candidate this year. He is as good as there is. That is not in any way a knock on KW.

Great post. Silly fans focus on sacks but the guy has been an animal. Well worth every penny.

Remember folks like Jerry Sullivan crying about him missing training camp practice 2 years ago? He's our best player and has become a great leader.