30 For 30

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the 30 for 30 about Hillsborough.

I saw that one. Pretty sad. I never want to watch that again. I cried watching that horrible event.

BTW, the beauty about 30 in 30 is that you dont have to be a sports fan. When I put it on, my wife will watch cuz its not about sports, its about REAL PEOPLE going through different emotions and feelings.

Not sure if it was considered a 30 for 30 or not but Unguarded the story about Chris Herron was fantastic. Out of the new season I really enjoyed the one about the Boston College point shaving scandal because it was such an interesting story(that and because they used scenes from Goodfellas in it too). There are just so many untold sports stories out there that would make for great episodes. I hope this series continues on for a very long time

The Reggie Miller one is really good, as is the Valvano one. The USFL one, "1994", Marion Jones, Jimmy Conners and Bo Jackson were great too. And the Marcus Dupree--there are so many good ones!

"Marcus Dupree - the best there never was" was a great episode.

That was a very good one

They did; they did one on the QB class of '83 as well.

Didn't see that one, as an old Islander fan woill haveto watch that one.

The John Spanos ownership of the Islanders was great and hilarious.

I lived through many of those nights in the Big East, I recall the sweater game,I can tell you where I was when Pearl half court shot to beat BC. The 30 for 30 on the Big East brought a tear to my ear watching it recalling all the memories.

Looks like a bunch were recently added to NetFlix, watched the Big East one last night and it was great. Never knew that John Thompson was such an old school troll, when he wore the same sweat as the St Johns coach for their big 1 vs 2 game I was rolling.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the 30 for 30 about Hillsborough.

That one was hard to watch. Unimaginable f--- up.

Requiem for the Big East, The U, Two Escobars, Elway-Marino, and the Pony Excess have also been outstanding IMO. Some of the ones focused on individuals that were very good include The Best that Never Was, Fernandomania, Run Rickey Run and You Don't Know Bo.

IMO what makes so many of these older stories great is they took place before the media/internet age so they were compelling without being beaten into the ground like they would have been if they happened today.

Other than enjoying a rehash of old highlights, I agree the 90s Bills wouldn't be a very compelling story.

The recent one on Brian Bosworth was pretty good. Seeing a humble 49 year old explain to his son how to not end up an idiot like him.

He sounded kinda humble (certainly not like the old Boz), but I would have liked more of how he came to this place of humbleness. That was brushed over in less than 5 minutes.

He talked about others learning a lesson from him, but what was the lesson - don't have your shoulder go out?

It seemed like all the Boz stuff was championed. He made the money from the T shirts mocking him out, etc. "Great marketer" Etc.............Where was the redemption story?

And, he still seems to be lying about steroids. He said "back then, everybody thought it wasn't for football players - takes away your flexibility, etc. Only for bodybuilders. I used it to heal from an injury." That is utter bull. I remember it being an issue back then for football. I remember being on a plane reading about it in SI, I believe. And, they made it sound that the fans wouldn't want the players not to take them, and not be this fast, and this hard hitting etc..................I turned to my friend and asked him if they were slightly slower, etc. would he not watch the games, and just like me, he said of course not.

So, I know he's lying about that. And, he went back and forth on it, when he took it - because before the press at the Orange Bowl, you see him admitting he took them. (And, not in this pre-Switzer telling him to stop era)

I've really loved the series. Two Escobars was great. I must mention, however, that "Once Brothers" was the most one-sided, propaganda-laden, revisionist-history piece of garbage I'd seen in awhile. Basic documentary failure is rampant in that one. Drazen Petrovic would have been pissed.

I actually just finished watching this one (at the time my DVR screwed up, and having heard how good it was, I bought it on itunes).

I don't know all that much about the Serbia-Crotia deal. What do you take issue with?

He sounded kinda humble (certainly not like the old Boz), but I would have liked more of how he came to this place of humbleness. That was brushed over in less than 5 minutes.

He talked about others learning a lesson from him, but what was the lesson - don't have your shoulder go out?

It seemed like all the Boz stuff was championed. He made the money from the T shirts mocking him out, etc. "Great marketer" Etc.............Where was the redemption story?

And, he still seems to be lying about steroids. He said "back then, everybody thought it wasn't for football players - takes away your flexibility, etc. Only for bodybuilders. I used it to heal from an injury." That is utter bull. I remember it being an issue back then for football. I remember being on a plane reading about it in SI, I believe. And, they made it sound that the fans wouldn't want the players not to take them, and not be this fast, and this hard hitting etc..................I turned to my friend and asked him if they were slightly slower, etc. would he not watch the games, and just like me, he said of course not.

So, I know he's lying about that. And, he went back and forth on it, when he took it - because before the press at the Orange Bowl, you see him admitting he took them. (And, not in this pre-Switzer telling him to stop era)

I think the lesson was more don't act like an arrogant douchebag. I thought he seemed pretty sincere in his indictment of his foolish behavior. Then again, I was 5 in his heyday.

I don't know all that much about the Serbia-Crotia deal. What do you take issue with?

I've been looking at your post trying to think how I can answer it concisely. The details of that conflict were so intricate that I don't want to go on and on. While I'm certainly no historian, I've done considerable study on the subject during my academic career and lived in the Balkans. "Once Brothers," largely due to the inconceivable structure of giving an open and uncontested mic to Vlade Divac, views like a piece of Serbian propaganda....

...I just deleted a whole bunch because it really is a rabbit hole. But giving an open and uncontested microphone to a nationalist about his feelings over the balkan conflict, and about a former friendship that disintegrated due to his own behaviors, was shockingly poor documentary design. The fact that everyone who knew Drazen was well aware that his best friend was Stojko Vrankovic (also an NBA player), and that Stojko was for some reason not the logical counterbalance for Vlade, is really bizarre.

Edited by NickelCity

I think the lesson was more don't act like an arrogant douchebag. I thought he seemed pretty sincere in his indictment of his foolish behavior. Then again, I was 5 in his heyday.

Yeah, I was thinking it would be a little deeper than that. The one guy talked about how somebody would really have to hit rock bottom to change the way he did. But, they really didn't talk about the rock bottom, other than the daughter saying he was depressed for most of her life, and grew in his faith.

I did really like the "Boz" days - the highlights, the sound bites, etc. As much as I hated him then, it was really cool to see now.

I've been looking at your post trying to think how I can answer it concisely. The details of that conflict were so intricate that I don't want to go on and on. While I'm certainly no historian, I've done considerable study on the subject during my academic career and lived in the Balkans. "Once Brothers," largely due to the inconceivable structure of giving an open and uncontested mic to Vlade Divac, views like a piece of Serbian propaganda....

...I just deleted a whole bunch because it really is a rabbit hole. But giving an open and uncontested microphone to a nationalist about his feelings over the balkan conflict, and about a former friendship that disintegrated due to his own behaviors, was shockingly poor documentary design. The fact that everyone who knew Drazen was well aware that his best friend was Stojko Vrankovic (also an NBA player), and that Stojko was for some reason not the logical counterbalance for Vlade, is really bizarre.

I agree with you about the documentary design. But, it seemed like Vlade wasn't a nationalist, but more that he didn't care about the politics, etc..............Maybe that's not true, and that's what you're trying to say.

I agree with you about the documentary design. But, it seemed like Vlade wasn't a nationalist, but more that he didn't care about the politics, etc..............Maybe that's not true, and that's what you're trying to say.

Well, Vlade tried to make it sound like he didn't care, which I have to imagine was strategic. Saying things like "people back home started fighting" to explain a hostile serbian occupation of croatian soil - things to that effect. He generally whitewashed and gave recollections that were entirely misleading. Unless someone understands the conflict at a certain level, his comments appear totally innocuous - that's what was so infuriating. A counterbalance would have nipped that in the bud very quick.

Edited by NickelCity

I've seen many of those already mentioned. An excellent one to add to the list was about the Kirkland, Washington Little League Champs and star pitcher Cody Webster, Little Big Men. At least I think that was a 30 for 30 production. The power of the national media unleashed on 12 and 13 year olds is not a beautiful thing. What the coaches gave up to prepare them and how each of them took that experience, good and bad, into adulthood makes for a great story.

Well, Vlade tried to make it sound like he didn't care, which I have to imagine was strategic. Saying things like "people back home started fighting" to explain a hostile serbian occupation of croatian soil - things to that effect. He generally whitewashed and gave recollections that were entirely misleading. Unless someone understands the conflict at a certain level, his comments appear totally innocuous - that's what was so infuriating. A counterbalance would have nipped that in the bud very quick.

Got it. Not understanding the conflict at that certain level, his comments did appear innocuous to me.