I don't want the Jets getting their hands on Winston or Mariota..

zow2

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true. Both these guys are far better than anyone who was available in this past draft. Both are big, athletic and extremely accurate. Even with his off-field problems, I think Winston has a chance to be a top-two pick, but there is certainly some risk, especially when you are talking about making him the face of your franchise. There is no question that the Jets will go into full tank-mode in order to draft one of these guys--if they haven't already. The bad news for them is that there will be plenty of competition. On the other hand, the consolation prize (Amari Cooper) is not too shabby.

And you know that because . . . ?

Because Jordan Palmer says so dammit! :lol:

Not true. Both these guys are far better than anyone who was available in this past draft. Both are big, athletic and extremely accurate. Even with his off-field problems, I think Winston has a chance to be a top-two pick, but there is certainly some risk, especially when you are talking about making him the face of your franchise. There is no question that the Jets will go into full tank-mode in order to draft one of these guys--if they haven't already. The bad news for them is that there will be plenty of competition. On the other hand, the consolation prize (Amari Cooper) is not too shabby.

And you know that because . . . ?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/geno-smith-1.html Geno Smith was throwing 73% at West Virginia his senior year. Was he accurate? Hell yeah. Did everyone want him? Hell yeah. How is he working out?

Jameis Winston is throwing 67%...are we to say Geno Smith is a better QB because he was more accurate in College??

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/teddy-bridgewater-1.html Teddy Bridgewater threw 68% his senior year. Did many tout him as the second coming? Yes Is his completion % better than Winston? Yes

The point is...the jump from College to NFL is huuuuge...even for Jameis and Mariota

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/geno-smith-1.html Geno Smith was throwing 73% at West Virginia his senior year. Was he accurate? Hell yeah. Did everyone want him? Hell yeah. How is he working out?

Jameis Winston is throwing 67%...are we to say Geno Smith is a better QB because he was more accurate in College??

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/teddy-bridgewater-1.html Teddy Bridgewater threw 68% his senior year. Did many tout him as the second coming? Yes Is his completion % better than Winston? Yes

The point is...the jump from College to NFL is huuuuge...even for Jameis and Mariota

Smith melted down the second half of his senior year; after starting 5-0, WVA ended up something like 7-5 and he showed definite signs of being the turnover factory that he has become. That, along with concerns about his personality and character, made him available in the second round. Bridgewater also tailed off considerably his senior year and of course he had a less than stellar run-up to the draft. I don't see that happening with Winston or Mariota, who is in the middle of his third outstanding season in the Pac-12. Physically, I believe both are every bit as talented as Luck, although obviously Winston has some serious off-field baggage.

Are you saying that no one can tell anything by a QB's college performance?

What is it about Winston's and/or Mariota's performance that makes you think they will turn out like Geno Smith instead of like Andrew Luck?

Edited by mannc

Smith melted down the second half of his senior year; after starting 5-0, WVA ended up something like 7-5 and he showed definite signs of being the turnover factory that he has become. That, along with concerns about his personality and character, made him available in the second round. Bridgewater also tailed off considerably his senior year and of course he had a less than stellar run-up to the draft. I don't see that happening with Winston or Mariota, who is in the middle of his third outstanding season in the Pac-12. Physically, I believe both are every bit as talented as Luck, although obviously Winston has some serious off-field baggage.

Are you saying that no one can tell anything by a QB's college performance?

What is it about Winston's and/or Mariota's performance that makes you think they will turn out like Geno Smith instead of like Andrew Luck?

Because Andrew Luck was the best pro prospect of all-time and the other two are not even close to that?

Because Andrew Luck was the best pro prospect of all-time and the other two are not even close to that?

Luck was certainly an outstanding prospect, but I think before all is said and done, Winston and Mariota will be in that same class if they are not already. I have seen all three play a lot of games and I think the only advantage Luck has over the other two is his thick body, which seems to be impervious to injury.

Luck was certainly an outstanding prospect, but I think before all is said and done, Winston and Mariota will be in that same class if they are not already. I have seen all three play a lot of games and I think the only advantage Luck has over the other two is his thick body, which seems to be impervious to injury.

...And Luck's football IQ which blows both of theirs out of the water, and Luck's arm strength which is far superior to both, and Luck's mobility which -- despite Mariota's pub -- is not to be underestimated. Other than that, yeah, they're the same QBs. :lol: :lol:

Mariota is a gimmick QB who needs to develop A LOT before he's pro ready. Winston I haven't watched play enough to comment on but Mariota is not even CLOSE to Luck in pre-draft hype or reality. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're watching.

Edited by GreggyT

His smarts, both football intelligence and IQ, his pedigree (growing up with an NFL QB as a father), his playing in a pro offense for a pro coach (Jim Harbaugh most of his career), character, are all enormous advantages over those guys, and that is not to mention his QB abilities, which IMO are substantially better.

Along with what T Greggy said above. :D

It's not just because pro defenses are much better (which they obviously are), it's because college offenses run so differently. Most college qbs are in systems designed to "win now" rather than groom them for the pros. Hence the profusion of running qbs like Winston, Newton, Tebow, Vince young etc. They were put in positions to win college titles, even though that style wouldn't help them in the pros (Newton being the only really successful one of that bunch).

Luck on the other hand was in a position to become a top nfl player. But notice that Luck never won the title in college like these other guys.

We hear the same thing every year around this time "We need Taj Boyd" or "I can't believe we're going to miss out on Bridgewater" or even "Johnny Football would be our franchise QB".

Mariota and Winston are nothing more than this year's version of "the new popular Christmas toy". They are not Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning (guaranteed franchise QB's).

Don't sweat it.

Jameis Winston has yet to lose a college football game! IJS!!

...And Luck's football IQ which blows both of theirs out of the water, and Luck's arm strength which is far superior to both, and Luck's mobility which -- despite Mariota's pub -- is not to be underestimated. Other than that, yeah, they're the same QBs. :lol: :lol:

Mariota is a gimmick QB who needs to develop A LOT before he's pro ready. Winston I haven't watched play enough to comment on but Mariota is not even CLOSE to Luck in pre-draft hype or reality. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're watching.

Luck is certainly an intelligent guy, but how do you know his football IQ is higher than Winston's or Mariota's? FWIW, Mariota is good student who, I believe graduated from U of O in three years. I have not seen as much of Winston, but I have heard he has an outstanding football IQ, even though he seems to be a knucklehead off the field.

I also disagree that Luck's arm strength is "far superior" to both. I have not seen a single throw that Mariota can't make with ease and he has thrown far fewer interceptions than Luck did in college. And please explain how Mariota is a "gimmick QB". It's true that Oregon does not run a pro-type offense, but very few college teams do these days.

His smarts, both football intelligence and IQ, his pedigree (growing up with an NFL QB as a father), his playing in a pro offense for a pro coach (Jim Harbaugh most of his career), character, are all enormous advantages over those guys, and that is not to mention his QB abilities, which IMO are substantially better.

Along with what T Greggy said above. :D

yeah, I don't remember Luck constantly throwing off his back foot in college and chucking the ball up and praying. Edited by YoloinOhio

Winston is just as big and mobile. One won a national championship, one didn't. The only difference between the two, to me, is that Luck was/is more mature than Winston. As far as football knowledge I'd say they're comparable.

Yeah, because Jimbo Fischer really prepares QBS for the NFL in that offense a lot more than having a NFL QB for a dad and growing up with it your entire life and having an NFL QB for a college coach in a pro style offense. That's a wash.

Luck is certainly an intelligent guy, but how do you know his football IQ is higher than Winston's or Mariota's? FWIW, Mariota is good student who, I believe graduated from U of O in three years. I have not seen as much of Winston, but I have heard he has an outstanding football IQ, even though he seems to be a knucklehead off the field.

I also disagree that Luck's arm strength is "far superior" to both. I have not seen a single throw that Mariota can't make with ease and he has thrown far fewer interceptions than Luck did in college. And please explain how Mariota is a "gimmick QB". It's true that Oregon does not run a pro-type offense, but very few college teams do these days.

Luck is heralded now, in just his third year, as having one of the highest football IQ's in the NFL. If you watch him play, you can see why -- it's not just hype. The guy cannot be rattled and cannot be fooled, he's a nightmare for defensive coordinators to prepare for. He's also got an eidetic memory, meaning he only needs to see something once and he remembers it.

Luck's arm strength is unquestioned, he makes rocket throws (and touch throws) with guys all over him, or on the run. Mariota has an arm, I won't deny that, but he does not at all have the same type of arm as Luck. Mariota is faster and may well become a good NFL QB. But he isn't asked to read the field or make progressions (and wasn't asked to in HS) so no one knows if he can -- or how fast of a learner he will be if he cannot. Whoever drafts him will have to create an offense to fit around Mariota -- when they drafted Luck they knew he could play in any offense they want. That's a big difference.