Marrone has brought a mental toughness to this team we haven't see

Big Turk

Say what you will about his coaching decisions, the way he does things, personnel decisions, etc...

One thing that cannot be overlooked is that Marrone has brought a mental toughness to this team that we have not seen in a long, long time. It has been reflected many times this year...against Chicago, against Detroit, against Minnesota and now going on the road and just hammering a divisional opponent in a place where we usually get lit up.

This team used to fold like a cheap tent when things turned against them in games or the other team made a few plays. 4 years ago if the Bills go down 14-0 early on the road to Detroit, it ends up 42-10. Instead, this team righted the ship and won it on the last play of the game.

The more times you are in games that go down to the wire and win, the more confidence you have that when you are in those situations in the future, you will find a way to pull it out.

This is a huge deal. This is how you start changing the culture of a team. This goes way, way beyond X's and O's, who your coordinators are, time management, etc. This goes to making guys believe that no matter what the situation is or what the score is, that they can come back and win the game.

I think its about time Marrone is given some of his due. This team plays hard, this team always believes its going to make key plays to win games in the big moments and they have done it a lot so far. That is a reflection on the head coach.

I totally agree, Marrone is totally changing the culture. He is accountable and has the players' backs. He is okay with a solid win like today and troubled by a sloppy win like last week. The proof is in the game... penalties way down and no fumbles.

I don't know. Jauron teams fell behind 13-0 or 14-0 in Denver, St Louis and won. Gailey there were 21-3/21-0 games vs Oakland/NE, the Stevie drop vs Pittsburgh I think was 13-0 too....

Of course those teams were blown out too...

But I just think this team is better than prior versions. Better QB, better defense, better WRs. That's one of the reasons this staff takes heat - it's not because anybody expects some schmuck like Josh Reed to be lighting people up.

Edited by BuffOrange

He's also brought an uncanny ability to give away points at the end of every first half. Kidding aside, I agree. I was just looking at our record at this point last year and we were 3-5 talking about "winning 5-6 in a row" on this board. I much prefer our position this year.

Here's the thing: Marrone is the type of coach you're only going to like if he wins. The guy calls himself "St. Doug." That ought to tell you what he's like.

Hackett is HIS OC. As long as he is coach he is going to do it HIS way. Playing Orton was HIS call. This offense is HIS call too. Hackett works for Marrone and gets his marching orders from him.

In short, Marrone is often an unpleasant and confrontational man to be around and demands things be done EXACTLY the way he wants them done. He's often not a very engaging person at the podium during press conferences. He's really what many fans CLAIMED to want for years: a strict disciplinarian who takes no BS.

Many still pine for the days of winning four or six "exciting" games under Chan Gailey. He was SO GOOD! yet his teams got embarrassed on a weekly basis throughout his tenure here. Must have been talent, because BOY could that guy call a game! And he took the TV out of the weight room!

Meanwhile, Marrone's teams win in SPITE of him! LOL you can't make this stuff up!

So far the results are 5 wins in 8 games. That's pretty good. Let's see the whole season before we start firing people.

Here's the thing: Marrone is the type of coach you're only going to like if he wins. The guy calls himself "St. Doug." That ought to tell you what he's like.

Hackett is HIS OC. As long as he is coach he is going to do it HIS way. Playing Orton was HIS call. This offense is HIS call too. Hackett works for Marrone and gets his marching orders from him.

In short, Marrone is often an unpleasant and confrontational man to be around and demands things be done EXACTLY the way he wants them done. He's often not a very engaging person at the podium during press conferences. He's really what many fans CLAIMED to want for years: a strict disciplinarian who takes no BS.

Many still pine for the days of winning four or six "exciting" games under Chan Gailey. He was SO GOOD! yet his teams got embarrassed on a weekly basis throughout his tenure here. Must have been talent, because BOY could that guy call a game! And he took the TV out of the weight room!

Meanwhile, Marrone's teams win in SPITE of him! LOL you can't make this stuff up!

So far the results are 5 wins in 8 games. That's pretty good. Let's see the whole season before we start firing people.

get the papers, get the papers

To me our record is what matters most when talking about the head coach. If we win he did his job. One thing is certain though, if we finish 10-6 and make the playoffs for the first time since 1999 people will still talk junk about him and say we should have been 13-3.. I trust him almost 100% our right guard situation is the only decision he's made that has me scratching my head. We are a dark horse in this league right now and he has us playing playing at a higher level of preparation and intensity than our opponents expect. We will be picked my most experts to lose games throughout this season and Marrone won't get the respect he deserves week in and week out but as long as we win he is doing his job well in my book

From the pro sports teams I have seen (and to a much lesser extent the amateur teams I have been a part I would disagree or actually

refine the idea the idea that Merrone has brought toughness to this team. I do not think that he (and in fact most HCs bought or enforced toughness on a team. Tis simply is not how it works in he modern NFL with these incredibly well paid and prideful athletes.

The good or great C can foster toughness which is already there, but the starting point on a successful team really has to start with a diverse group of team leaders. The example we ave all seen of this and know well is the Bils team which went to an unprecedented (and I doubt will be repeated in this world of FA and salary caps.

This TEAM had a sense of toughness, and style and grace and attitude which did not stem from the cerebral and at most emotionally folksy Marv Levy. Marv was great and its hard to imagine the TEAM doing what it did without him. However, I would say his great talent was as an administrator who generally divvied up responsibility well, who handed out praise and attaboys well, and who managed up well keeping Mr. Ralph from messing things up to badly (which as owner he had the right to do).

It seemed to me that the toughness actually started from the vet player leaders like Thurman on the O, augmented and eventually surpassed by Jimbo with a healthy degree of moderation by Reed who got along well with both me. Quiet tough leadership by Hull, great play by Bruce, intelligent efficiency by Tasker, loud rants by Talley, and whatever whoever else over the years.

Add to this mix the critical role in TEAM building and player acquisition by Polian and a far more reasonable description emerges. Like any HC Marv had a central role but like most successful HCs since Lombardi he rode the wild tiger well but did not create the toughness and other critical elements he fostered.

I like the role Merrone has played so kudos to him, but though there is the occasional Parcells who improve virtually any team to playoff level performance and even afew mre Rich Koites who can lose anywhere they go, Merrone strikes me as part of the 80% of HCs who an be great in a good situation or bad with a bad team.

As far as these Bills I would look to Jax, Kyle Williams, Mario, and others and even Whaley for setting a tone which Merrone has fostered.

apparently nigel bradham is NOT getting the mental part....

PENALTY on BUF-N.Bradham, Taunting, 15 yards.

PENALTY on BUF-N.Bradham, False Start, 5 yards.

PENALTY on BUF-N.Bradham, Roughing the Passer.

PENALTY on BUF-N.Bradham, Face Mask (15 Yards).

Agreed completely. Just posted this in another thread.

For years, the Jets were big bad bullies that used to come into Bills games and beat us up and push us around. Since Marrone got here, it has been the exact opposite. We are finally bullying the bullies. We still need to figure out the mental game in order to overcome New England, but one thing is for sure about Marrone's team, they will not be simply physically out-manned.

Not seeing how beating teams with a combined 4-12 record the last two weeks makes them mentally tough now.

This x1000. As has been noted many times in this forum over the last couple of months, Marrone is in way over his head, and the team is winning in spite of him, not because of him.

Does anyone really think that if the Bills had a top notch coach they'd still have the same record, or be having to pull out a miracle to beat patsies like the Vikings, or be getting destroyed by the Pats on that emotional high weekend!? If you do, you probably just started watching NFL football this year. LOL