Updated: The AFC Playoff Picture

@mikerodak

The entire AFC playoff field can be determined this week, no matter what the Bills do in Oakland. From @ESPNStatsInfo

B5EYPUXCEAIqe-_.jpg

For the optimists, the current "default" scenario (all favorites winning their games the next two weeks) has us in if you just change our Week 17 game outcome to a W over the Pats. So, while we do need help, it's not like we need several lousy teams to pull off improbably upsets. As stated previously, realistically it comes down to PIT winning both games, DEN over CIN, and one SD loss in terms of help.

For the pessimists, it's possible the Bills could be eliminated BEFORE KICKOFF at Oakland, that would happen if SD wins Saturday and KC and BAL both win their 1 pm games. So, that's one of several reasons why SF beating SD is important - it's not technically a "must" win for us, but the best case scenarios get less optimistic and the worst case scenarios get much worse with a SF win. But, I believe SF and PIT will both win, making this scenario moot.

Edited by ezbills

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's *very* unlikely we beat the Patriots, but there is always a chance, and thats why the Bills need to go out and take care of business in Oakland, to give themselves that chance.

I say Rogers is better than Brady, ergo why not shut down Brady as well?

This D is far improved and learned of the Schwartz schemes that when they first faced Brady.

@mikerodak

The entire AFC playoff field can be determined this week, no matter what the Bills do in Oakland. From @ESPNStatsInfo

B5EYPUXCEAIqe-_.jpg

thanks Captain Obvious. We all know that. well ok the rational realistic fans know that. It all hinges on Cincy. Once they lose to the Bronco's the Bills will stay alive.

we are playing what if scenarios.

A win against the Pats*, on the road, to end the season, with a QB like Orton, will be monumental for this Bills franchise. After that, even if the Bills don't make the playoffs due to math, I would truly consider it a successful season.

But, if there is anything like a 'trap' game, the one against the Raiders is it.

who says that they have to stick with Orton?

:nana:

The problem with the argument that we should be able to shut down Brady because we shut down Rodgers and Manning is that the Patriots have proven time and time again that they "have our number." It's probably due to the larger degree of familiarity the Patriots staff and Brady has with the Bills, but whatever it is some teams are simply a bad matchup for certain teams. The Patriots have been our worst matchup of any team every year for the past 15 years. Even when we get off to hot starts their halftime adjustments always kill us. In games we dominate, Brady always finds a way to pull it out in the end for a win over Buffalo. It's not crazy for people to think they'll probably kick our asses in week 17.

That being said, I hope I'm wrong and nothing would give me more satisfaction than the defense dominating Brady and handing them a loss at home. I'd get more joy from that than even making the playoffs would give me.

For the optimists, the current "default" scenario (all favorites winning their games the next two weeks) has us in if you just change our Week 17 game outcome to a W over the Pats. So, while we do need help, it's not like we need several lousy teams to pull off improbably upsets. As stated previously, realistically it comes down to PIT winning both games, DEN over CIN, and one SD loss in terms of help.

For the pessimists, it's possible the Bills could be eliminated BEFORE KICKOFF at Oakland, that would happen if SD wins Saturday and KC and BAL both win their 1 pm games. So, that's one of several reasons why SF beating SD is important - it's not technically a "must" win for us, but the best case scenarios get less optimistic and the worst case scenarios get much worse with a SF win. But, I believe SF and PIT will both win, making this scenario moot.

Yinz are all big Stillers fans for the rest of the regular season.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Beating Tom Brady and the Patriots in NE in week 17 > Making the playoffs and losing in the first round imo

if it happens that way... the streak is ended and the next longest streak team catches all the BS for a while

interestingly using espn's playoff machine: http://espn.go.com/n...layoffs/machine ,

if you choose teams to win by their power ranking (which you can do by selecting "power ranking" from the "select criteria" drop-down), then change only the outcome of the wk 17 bills-patriots game, this outcome would put us in the 6th seed.

there are dozens of scenarios to get to #6.

All of them are interesting and dooable .... as long as the Bills can sweep 2 weeks and soundly defeat the Patriots

I look at it this way.

The Packers beat the Pats.

We beat the Packers...

CBF

I believe the home team won on both occasions Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I'll tell you right now that we have nothing to worry about. The Bills are a lock for the playoffs. In fact, I'd almost guarantee a win in the Wild Card round as well.

Why? I'll tell you why.

A long time ago my wife and I started planning an international vacation trip, and because of her schedule, the best time for her to go was the beginning of January. So I'll be out of the country for the first two weekends in January. Big deal, I thought, it's not like we'll be actually playing any games in January.