Casserly: Sammy is the NFL Offensive ROY through Week 7

Mario was the consensus #1 that year. Who said he was a joke for that pick?

at best revisionist, from my perspective.... the texas star qb and the heisman rb were the "sexy media picks" even if mario had a little traction in there.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario was not the consensus #1 pick that year. I remember Casserly taking a bunch of heat the first year or two.

Yup

He was absolutely not a consensus #1 that year. Hindsight looks great, but there were many detractors.

Yup

at best revisionist, from my perspective.... the texas star qb and the heisman rb were the "sexy media picks" even if mario had a little traction in there.

Yup

Yup

Yup

Yup

To me it was nothing against Mario if i remember right but more about Reggie Bush and that the Texans needed a 'home run' type of guy. They were not scoring points and Carr was getting killed.

I also think that was the draft two other NC State Dlinemen where drafted in the first round? McCargo being one...??

We thought our scouts knew something...turned out they didn't! Ha

To me it was nothing against Mario if i remember right but more about Reggie Bush and that the Texans needed a 'home run' type of guy. They were not scoring points and Carr was getting killed.

I also think that was the draft two other NC State Dlinemen where drafted in the first round? McCargo being one...??

Lawson the other - we ended up with the two we didn't take

Right. As the NHL people keep calling McDavid, Reggie Bush was a "generational" player, supposedly. Passing on him was thought to be as stupid as Portland passing on Michael Jordan.

And, NoSaint has it right, as usual - Manny Lawson was the third.

Right. As the NHL people keep calling McDavid, Reggie Bush was a "generational" player, supposedly. Passing on him was thought to be as stupid as Portland passing on Michael Jordan.

And, NoSaint has it right, as usual - Manny Lawson was the third.

i remember the Reggie bush - Michael Jordan comparison too

Rookie Receivers Emerge in a Class of Their Own

By CHASE STUART - NY Times

29stuart-2-master675.jpg

If you watched football Sunday, there is a good chance you saw a rookie receiver playing well. There is a better chance you saw a lot of them excelling.

In the early games, Kelvin Benjamin of the Carolina Panthers and Sammy Watkins of the Buffalo Bills starred. The two have been the best rookie wideouts in one of the best classes in N.F.L. history.

As great as those two have been, it's worth pointing out how much the rules helps receivers now. You don't have to worry about Ronnie Lott and a corner can't breathe on you or it's a penalty.

The Sammy trade is making more and more sense now. Receivers are more valuable than ever because of it's flag football. And it's easier for them to make an early impact.

As great as those two have been, it's worth pointing out how much the rules helps receivers now. You don't have to worry about Ronnie Lott and a corner can't breathe on you or it's a penalty.

The Sammy trade is making more and more sense now. Receivers are more valuable than ever because of it's flag football. And it's easier for them to make an early impact.

As much as I agree, I don't recall many PI penalties against any team we've played so far. Maybe 4 total in 8 games??? I'd need to look it up.

Even if they are missing calls Sammy is still making the plays. Benjamin probably is also.