No love for McLovin?!

I know most of us, including myself, are getting caught up in the "ugly win".discussions, but how bout some recognition for Leodis McKelvin?

I've probably been this kids' biggest critic over the years: The 2009 New England fumble. Getting beat by receivers whom I've never even heard of over and over again, the off the field "antics". Acting like he actually makes differences on passes after the play when he does, in fact, do nothing.

However, he had probably his best game yesterday since entering the league. Back to back picks (granted, against a rookie quarterback). Made several key tackles.

With the way Gilmore has struggled this year, IM thinking McKelvin should be lining up against teams number ones, just on a trial basis, of course. Let's see what he's got and if he can actually be as good as he thinks he is.

McKelvin had his best game of the season yesterday. He was also a factor on punt returns. He has been taking a lot of fair catches this year and/or fielding them for like 3-5 yards. I was happy to see him not only fielding punts, but taking them for considerable returns.

He played well. Hats off to a guy who will never get the respect he deserves from Bills fans for some reason. The guy is always in position to make a play, he just has hands of stone....

Of course he has hands of stone. He's a defensive back. A defensive back is a wide receiver with mittens on.

I agree that he is notorious for giving up big plays. Just saying that after yesterday, his confidence should be at it's peak. With Gilmore having such a bad season, we probably should be putting a guy with some confidence on number ones as opposed to a guy who has been getting torched week after week. It just makes sense.

Edited by KellyStrong

I'll start off by conceding that this has been McKelvin's best year as a professional. He's got 4 picks in 6 games, which is already 2 more than he had in any of the previous years of his career. That said, he's not a shutdown corner. Even with playing his best football this year, he's not the guy that we want to see lining up against our opponents best. He's clearly not 11th overall pick value, even playing at the level he is this year.

McKelvin had a really good bounce back game after a really bad game vs the Pats so he's batting .500 over the last two weeks

I actually thought he finally turned the corner but has been pretty inconsistent this year

McKelvin is a pretty good corner at this point. People hate him because he was a 1st round db drafted by Jauron (who always seemed to prioritize the position over other areas of need), the NE fumble, and his struggles locating the ball during his first couple of seasons in the league. He's always done a good job (for the most part) of staying with his man and now that he's learned how to play the ball a bit he's an above-average cover guy.

His second interception is the perfect example of why you cannot win in the NFL without a strong arm. Now granted, Bridgewater has a strong enough arm to play in the NFL, he just didn't use it on that play. He threw it instead of gunned it (something EJ has a habit of at times). Average and weak armed QBs can only throw it as hard as Bridgewater did, and in college that is a 20 yard completion. In the NFL it's an INT.