Ball Placement after "The Catch"

Tu-Toned

Not sure if this has been discussed, and I guess it might just be a minor thing now,

BUT, unless my eyes were deceiving me, Hogan landed at like the half yard line after

that catch.

How does the ball get placed at the 2 and a half yard line? I would have challenged that

ball placement, but I guess in the final two minutes you can't. Are not all plays in the final

two minutes reviewed and how could they miss that?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this has been discussed, and I guess it might just be a minor thing now,

BUT, unless my eyes were deceiving me, Hogan landed at like the half yard line after

that catch.

How does the ball get placed at the 2 and a half yard line? I would have challenged that

ball placement, but I guess in the final two minutes you can't. Are not all plays in the final

It could have been an issue as well. If the pass to Watkins was incomplete there likely would have been time for another play. At the 1/2 yard line a run is still on the table at the 1/2 yard line. From the 2 1/2 it's an iffy call. Thankfully it didn't matter but I agree, it was a horrible placement.

that catch.

I thought it should have been the one yard line based on what I initially saw.

I didn't really notice until after we spiked the ball, and then I was thinking oh, ok, we spiked the

ball, but that is an incomplete pass and you should not lose yardage for that, I guess that they were

asleep in the booth or something.

Almost as bad as the Goodwin catch a few weeks back. And on the TD pass to Welker in the Denver game last night.

The refs just make up a random spot to put the ball. At least in the Denver game the ref from the other side of the field ran over and called it a TD. It was obviously a TD.

The refs just make up a random spot to put the ball.

in a fire drill situation like that, i do like accuracy, but i prefer speed. ill say that.

if anyone has a clip of the hogan catch and then the snap for the watkins catch - thats really what this thread needs to be worth discussion though.

additionally, you have to remember the booth had all of about 8 seconds to review the play, and even less from the time the ball got spotted. from the spot to the snap simply might not have allowed time to make the call.

No disrespect here, but a say BS, if all plays with two minutes are supposed to be reviewed, then

you take the time necessary to review the play, I could see within one second where it should

have been spotted.

The refs I am sure are in constant communications, especially at that juncture in the game,

and it should have gone something like, booth, "hey dummy, you spotted the ball at the wrong location,

now move it forward to where it should be", I don't care if it was after the spike or not, you have to get that

right there.

Edited by Tu-Toned

in a fire drill situation like that, i do like accuracy, but i prefer speed. ill say that.

if anyone has a clip of the hogan catch and then the snap for the watkins catch - thats really what this thread needs to be worth discussion though.

But to be 2 yards off? Still weird.

No disrespect here, but a say BS, if all plays with two minutes are supposed to be reviewed, then

you take the time necessary to review the play, I could see within one second where it should

have been spotted.

im guessing they were pretty focused on the catch. by the time the ref actually spotted the ball, we were pretty darn close to snapping it.

no disrespect taken - im just saying there are a lot of moving pieces in a very small window. i expect some level of error occasionally and in a situation like yesterday ill take it being a poor spot over a slow spot if its going to happen. its not "ok" but in the grand scheme.....

But to be 2 yards off? Still weird.

agreed. thats why i was curious to see the catch vs the spot kind of side by side instead of just going by memory.

The placement was definitely wrong, and I had the same thought, that if it was closer they could have tried to run it in.

The problem with the booth replays in the last two minutes is that an official timeout for the review would have been a huge advantage for the Bills, who were desperately trying to stop the clock. And then once the next play was snapped (the spike) it was too late to review the previous play (the catch). Maybe the rule about not reviewing a play after the next play starts can be modified for this situation.

Every spot is a guesstimate by the very nature of the game. The refs were well down the field when the catch was made and made their best guess. Unless the NFL comes up with a system where video camera's or a chip in the ball is used to determine the correct spot every play it will never be accurate.

Every spot is a guesstimate by the very nature of the game. The refs were well down the field when the catch was made and made their best guess. Unless the NFL comes up with a system where video camera's or a chip in the ball is used to determine the correct spot every play it will never be accurate.

So it is ok to be off by two, or even one whole yard? Gotcha, just don't try to make the claim that every single play

in the last two minutes is reviewed then.

The catch was well inside the one yard line. When we were lining up I thought there was a good chance we would run. To place the ball outside the two was ridiculous.

Agreed, when a guy goes horizontal like he did with his head pointing toward the goal line with

two defenders draped all over him, where he lands should be the spot of the ball, for christ

sakes, he didn't bounce or roll two yards after the catch.

There is always a ref on the spot for catches at that part of the field, including yesterday. There was a ref right there watching the catch to see if it was a completed reception, in bounds. Why that ref didn't place the ball properly is a mystery.

Why they don't place chips in the balls, map the field and take all the judgement and guess work out is beyond me. At some point the integrity of the game and consistency of officiating has to be recognized as a drain on market share. Although I might have it wrong, maybe the pr from officiating controversy fulfills the mantra "no such thing as bad publicity"

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood